+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, Macs only in media studies curriculum? in General; Originally Posted by cookie_monster I haven't used a Mac Mini but aren't they a bit underpowered for video editing? They ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie_monster View Post
    I haven't used a Mac Mini but aren't they a bit underpowered for video editing?
    They come with a 1.83GHz Core 2 Duo and 1GB of ram as standard. The only place where they could really be considered underpowered would be the hard drive which is a standard 5400rpm laptop jobby. And that could be worked around using an external firewire unit. Admittedly they wouldn't be my first choice for video editing but I don't think they'd do a bad job by any stretch of the imagination.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Norphy View Post
    They come with a 1.83GHz Core 2 Duo and 1GB of ram as standard. The only place where they could really be considered underpowered would be the hard drive which is a standard 5400rpm laptop jobby. And that could be worked around using an external firewire unit. Admittedly they wouldn't be my first choice for video editing but I don't think they'd do a bad job by any stretch of the imagination.
    I recently bought a 1Ghz VIA fanless embedded motherboard/CPU, and even that came with separate on-board support for 2D video. We used to do video editing of Mini DV footage (so 12GB per hour of footage) half a decade ago on machines that I'm sure must have been less than 1Ghz, so pretty much anything around these days should be able to cope just fine. Okay, we had to leave those machines overnight to render snazzy effects in Premier, but basic chops and fades should be near instantaneous on any machine these days.

--
    David Hicks

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12