+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, What is an ADSL cease order? in General; Never set up ADSL before, always been with Virgin cable. Basically, I called BT on Monday to have a line ...

Thank Post

What is an ADSL cease order?

Never set up ADSL before, always been with Virgin cable.

Basically, I called BT on Monday to have a line activated and get a new phone number. I got that, and they said it would be activated today (wednesday)

So I go to try and sign up for broadband (thats all I wanted the line for) and wherever I go and check my number I get

Code:
    The telephone number xxxxxxxxxx currently has an ADSL cease order in progress.

You will not be able to sign up to us until this cease has completed.
    Now I dont know what an ADSL cease order is (anyone?) but it doesnt sound like something that should be on a new number?!
    Or is there a chance that the number hasnt actually been activated yet and its still assigned to somewhere else?

Im going to call BT late in the day so they wont just say "try again later" but just wondered if anyone knew?

Thank Post
    Have you just moved into a place and had the BT line activated? We had this in our old house where the previous tenants had had ADSL and cancelled at the last minute as they moved. Took a few more days for it to sort itself out in BT's system before we managed to get our own order in. Not fully up on the details but it may be that the cease is on the physical line rather than the No. itself. Obviously if you're where you've always been it's problem just BT's system messing about and I'm waffling about nothing! Try again in a few days and it should have resolved itself...

Thank Post
    Yeah that is pretty much the exact situation, and I suspect the last guy did cancel it quite late

Thanks, will be patient for a few days then. Just so annoying not having any home internet! lol

Thank Post
    I guess I wouldn't cancel mine until the very last minute.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sidewinder View Post
    Yeah that is pretty much the exact situation, and I suspect the last guy did cancel it quite late

Thanks, will be patient for a few days then. Just so annoying not having any home internet! lol
    Or he didn't cancel it at all and they are ceasing it for you before reprovisioning.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by laserblazer View Post
    I guess I wouldn't cancel mine until the very last minute.
    Indeed, sometimes telcos get a bit keen and cut the line as soon as you give your 30 days notice. That said, it took NTL 4 months to cancel our broadband line (and longer still before they stopped chasing us for the payment for those 4 months).

Thank Post
    I canceled my pipex broadband about 2 weeks ago and they said that it would still be active 5 days after i have moved the phone line and home, this has resulted in my trying to sign up for broadband again with someone else and them saying that they cant until the pipex has expired.

Thank Post
    Outtolunch you were right - as of this morning I was able to order
    Gone with ADSL24, order submitted to BT wholesale so should be online next friday!
    Apart from the wait, this has gone remarkably smoothly...perhaps too smoothly

Thank Post
    Heh. I'm starting a moving process hopefully on the 22nd...no phone in the new place according to BT..previous tenant moved it somewhere else.

So now I've got to have a new line/reactivation there, and then get the line in my existing flat ceased (as it was when we moved in), as well as my Tiscali provision. Then I'll have to set up an ISP at the new place ASAP.

Luckily though, my contract on the flat isn't up for 2 months yet, and we can run it and the new place side by side, so it should be a smooth transition. I hope. Tiscali can sod off as far as I care...I'm looking at Eclipse now.

The complicating factor is my missus (web dev) has 3 large contracts underway for mid-march/april..and I don't want there to be any hold-ups in the transition if at all possible.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread