Poll: Should spain lose it F1 GP Races

+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Should spain lose its races in General; Should spain lose its F1 races due to how some fans behaved at practice sessions the other day....

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Should spain lose its races

Should spain lose its F1 races due to how some fans behaved at practice sessions the other day.
    Last edited by russdev; 4th February 2008 at 07:10 PM.

Thank Post
    Woot, first vote!

Thank Post
    That was planned, and at least "blind eyed" by the tracks audience stewards. They should loose the fixture for at least a year.

Unconscionable.

PEO
    Thank Post
    A majority of the Spanish are very racist. It’s about time something was done and I think stopping the race going ahead, will make the Spanish government wake up and deal with the problem that’s been going on for way to long.

Thank Post
    Yeah it does suck but it also sucks as its the kind of attention that F1 could do without also would have been nice to see Lewis start the season with some of this Alonso business behind him too. They would lose too much money by pulling the Spanish GP so I think it's bit far fetched to be even suggesting it..

Spaniads are not exactly white themselves are they? Also the attitude they show to their domestic black players is nothing short of disgraceful either

The best thing that can happen out of this is Hamilton opens another can of whopass on Alonzo just like he did last year.

Thank Post
    Having the races or not is not the issue and skirts the real one.

With this, the 'monkey' chants to English players, the taunting of Eto'o and other black players in their top league and the Spanish F.A. 'condoning' the words of Aragones regarding Henry by not sacking him. etc. Racism seems institutional and ingrained in their society. I'm not saying that the British and Britain is a paragon of virtue but we are more tolerant of 'colour', if not religion.

It's more important for European governments to impress on Spain how backward this and other events mentioned makes their country look and hopefully they can target the new generation of Spaniards to explain how this behaviour isn't acceptable.

Though we do need to remember that it was within some people's memories (not mine) that Minstrels were considered entertainment and appeared on Christmas specials in this country.
    Last edited by mortstar; 5th February 2008 at 12:21 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mortstar View Post
    Having the races or not is not the issue and skirts the real one.

With this, the 'monkey' chants to English players, the taunting of Eto'o and other black players in their top league and the Spanish F.A. 'condoning' the words of Aragones regarding Henry by not sacking him. etc. Racism seems institutional and ingrained in their society. I'm not saying that the British and Britain is a paragon of virtue but we are more tolerant of 'colour', if not religion.

It's more important for European governments to impress on Spain how backward this and other events mentioned makes their country look and hopefully they can target the new generation of Spaniards to explain how this behaviour isn't acceptable.

Though we do need to remember that it was within some people's memories (not mine) that Minstrels were considered entertainment and appeared on Christmas specials in this country.
    True, but in this country we had to confront these attitudes because of multiculturalism and political correctness......the spanish have never had to, and it doesn't help their authorities making excuses for this behaviour....

this disturbing national psyche and this fear and loathing of non-whites can probably be traced back to the conquest of the iberian penninsula
    (including southern spain) by the moors of northern africa in the middle ages.........

they should be banned from hosting the grand prix for atleast a year....if nothing else, in the future i don't think a third world country such as spain is capable of staging such an event. Plenty of countries with the money and facilities to do a better job.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mortstar View Post
    Ironically enough, I watched the first episode of Terry and June again last night, in it he refers to a black guy trying to buy their house as a wog.

Funny to think that something which we look fondly back on as a classic comedy would these days not be allowed to air. (much as the BBC now refuse to show the massively famous fawlty towers episode where Basil does all the german world war 2 jokes)

On the issue of the banning of the spanish grand prix..I dont know, I cant help but think that is punishing the majority of the genuine F1 fans there for the behaviour of the minority. If we were banned from every event that a few british "fans" threw abuse at, then the UK wouldnt get to compete in anything at all. I think I would prefer to see some kind of hugely massive fine, but the race itself go ahead so that the true fans can still enjoy it. Perhaps make 100% of the race profits go to an anti-racism charity or something.
    Last edited by Jake; 5th February 2008 at 08:47 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    On fear of taking this thread off topic...

There is a good book by Nick Ryan called Homeland : into world of hate (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Homeland-Int...2201426&sr=1-4).

In it he takes a journey into world of white supremacist, neo-nazi and ultra-nationalist he travels across europe and usa. But does go into europe scene and why this embedded racism is there.
    Last edited by russdev; 5th February 2008 at 09:02 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Problem is while media is focusing on those people in the photo's it was just more than those people to point where track management added extra barriers around stands and Mclaren motorhome.

So my biggest issue is the fact they knew there were problems why wasn't the people in photos removed as soon as it all started.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jwood View Post
    You shouldn't take an event away from the country and penalise everyone there because of a small group of morons. Spain may well have a reputation for being racist, but on this occasion it wasn't the whole country acting in such a way.

The people involved are on camera, so can't they be banned from all events instead? It must be possible to track down the identities of those people.
    the argument about a 'minoroty of morons' punishing the rest doesn't apply.......

spain has previous form in this matter - it's deeply ingrained. so if it weren't those morons there would be plenty more lining up to partake in a simiarly provokative act. The rest of the spanish fans in the stadium are probably oblivious to how serious a matter this is. And that's the problem. It sends a clear message

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    How would you feel if England were to be stripped of their entitlement to host any international football matches on the basis that we have a reputation for violence?
    Personally that wouldn't bother me as I don't like/care about football. It would soon get the violent ones sorted out though wouldn't it?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Anyway FIA can't take the races off them this year to close to season to get something else sorted.

Thing is has never really happened in F1 so fia have to act to stamp it out before we do end up like football. This is more important due to fact we now have Force India which I am sure in coming seasons will want to bring Indian drivers back to F1.

Thank Post
    I'd be perfectly happy football was never played again in this country - it might actually result in some young talent being directed towards other sports, but it seemed like a valid comparison!
    Yeah I wish our kids weren't doing this:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gWGqrK5pKM

he could have been out Pole Vaulting instead

Thank Post
    I've just seen the pictures, and its a little on the sick side. Reminds me of some of the things kids would do.

Personally, give them a seasons ban. Stamp it out now. The FIA need to knock this on the head before it gets out of hand like it does in Footy.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast