+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, ISP with no traffic shaping in General; Originally Posted by kmount Yes, I'd agree with that, but I do like how they assign firewall rules by MAC ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,110 Times in 1,016 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kmount View Post
    Yes, I'd agree with that, but I do like how they assign firewall rules by MAC address rather than IP.

As for the firmware, I think its a bit hit or miss on whether you find it or not, but speedtouch.co.uk is probably a good start!

They do need to sort their nasty GUI out as well, I find it ever so annoying having to 'Details', and 'Configure' sections as opposed to clicking and just doing!

Still, it holds my sync at 8128 on adslmax better than the dlink did at 6.5mbit.
    mutual feelings on the GUI

Thank Post
    I use be here also.

They don't do traffic shaping and I think it costs an extra £5 for a static IP.

Thank Post

Thumbs down

I'll think you'd be hard pressed to find any ISP who truly doesn't shape

Talk about wanting the moon on a stick for £19.99 a month

Thank Post
    Tiscali is one of the worst.

Tecnical support will lie to you non stop about why you are paying for an 8meg service that tops out at 512kb in the evenings when you are 800m away from the exchange, your attenuation and snr are well within top limits for adsl max, your router is connected at 7612kbs and that you can download at 7000kbs in the morning. (http traffic, not p2p)

I have been called all sorts of things because I know what I am talking about. I have been told that my line does not support more than 2000kbs (which was funny when I tested the line when he was on the phone after 10pm and got 4000bps).

I am planning on taking them to court some time soon, to cancel the contract and claim back all of the money paid to them. Then to go back to BT. I have also made two complaints to ofcom.

/rant

Thank Post
    Good luck, but sadly as your line has at no point dropped below the minimal accepted speeds you may struggle. ADSL being a contended service etc yadda yadda...

Tiscali bought my isp out and its been nothing but pants since.

Thank Post
    Who is your ISP kmount? I'm with Freedom2Surf, now ultimately owned by Tiscali. I haven't noticed any serious loss of quality, but then again I hardly ever use it heavily these days, don't use P2P so much.

I would like the luxury though, if I ever need to, would you suggest I jump ship?

Thank Post
    Tiscali bought out my ISP (Pipex) back in September, and last Sunday night / Monday my connection was switched from Pipex hardware to Tiscali. My connection was throttled and port-filtered from 19:30 to 22:00 every night - port jenga revealled that the Eve cluster was up and taking logons.

In 4 years with Pipex, I never had connection issues and I phoned them once to change some payment details. In 3 days, Tiscali annoyed me sufficiently to phone them up (30 mins and 45 mins on the phone at 10p/minute) and request my MAC code so I could replace them. It would seem that quite a lot of Pipex customers are doing the same.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kmount View Post
    Good luck, but sadly as your line has at no point dropped below the minimal accepted speeds you may struggle. ADSL being a contended service etc yadda yadda...

Tiscali bought my isp out and its been nothing but pants since.
    I have proof going back since I signed up, showing that they throttle the speed in the evenings.

Also they can get away with a slower speed if the line is not capable of higher speeds, but if they fail to provide the service they are paid for to save money, then they are in breah of contract.

They will not contest in small claims court.
    Last edited by ICT_GUY; 5th February 2008 at 02:35 PM.

Thank Post
    I'm with Metronet and can't say I have any complaints even though they do use traffic shaping - they're totally transparent about what traffic is shaped, when and why. The logic is good and it means I do get great browsing speeds over the normally busy evening periods - then if you're that way inclined you can thrash P2P from midnight till 4PM. The only drastic slowdown I've noticed even with shaping in place is usenet traffic in the evenings being painfully slow.

http://portal.metronet.co.uk/support...nagement.shtml

Sadly, they don't offer the same package I'm on anymore (8mbit/100GB monthly usage cap for £22) or I'd recommend them without hesitation...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12