+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Inkjet Photocopier in General; ...
    Thank Post

Inkjet Photocopier

Ok, our school has just brought a brand new photocopier. Just found out today that the blasted thing is an inkjet. It takes 1000ml cartridges that cost £250 for 1. (it is colour so it had 4 in total). We have worked out that it costs 16p per page (black and white). Haven't even attempted to work out a colour page.

Also just found out that the photocopier has it's own computer. Not some built in chip + HDD. But an actual computer with tower and everything. The school has literally brought a computer + scanner + printer for £6,000! The photocopier in question is a RISO HC-5500 (i think!).

If the school had actually asked me or my manager we would never of recommended this copier. I don't understand why we are never consulted about anything technological.

The head brought some new software over the weekend, we were never asked if it would work on the school computers!

I just hate it when we are asked to set something up even when it never knew that it had been ordered. Surely all technological equipment should be run passed us before it is even considered.

Thank Post
    Thats not worth getting upset about - standard school behaviour unless you are actually appreciated and trusted by the head/ict co-ordinator (Which I am in the majority of the schools (that I still work for that is )) *

Your photo copier might be the most expensive mistake made in recent times but probably someone will be along refute that within minutes

regards

Simon

* That reminds me to adjust my sig after yesterdays resignation

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 922 Posts
    Hmmmm I remember reading about those copiers I think, I'll stick to me Tosheys

Thank Post
    & I thought the toners for our HP laserjet printers was bad.
    Who in their right mind would buy such equipment without checking out the cost of consumables?
    I only recommend inkjet printers for low use users, but an inkjet photocopier, have they lost their minds.
    But as was said above, this does seem to be normal practice in most schools. I normally have a moan when they come to me & want me sort out problems with rubbish equipment that I wasn't consulted about.
    Will they never learn?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by button_ripple View Post
    Ok, our school has just brought a brand new photocopier. Just found out today that the blasted thing is an inkjet. It takes 1000ml cartridges that cost £250 for 1. (it is colour so it had 4 in total). We have worked out that it costs 16p per page (black and white). Haven't even attempted to work out a colour page.
    Well, I guess it kind of depends what the school expects to do with it - by the looks of it, that copier can print at a fair clip and has a proper Raster Image Processor installed on that tower machine. Bet you the colour reproduction is great. Probably just the ticket if the school is planning to print its own full-colour magazines (somewhat over the top if it's just for the staff to run 10 copies off before Year 8 maths, mind). Can you run it on third-party inks?

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    3rd party inks? I doubt it! It was hard enough to find where to get the official ones from!

As for producing full-colour magazine's etc. well, you couldn't be futher from what they use it for! They just use it to produce lots of copies of lesson plans / sparklebox resources / pupil work.

The copier is a total travesty; and I can't WAIT to tell them that tomorrow
    The worst part is, they'll gladly fork out for this abomination but wont give us a measly £250 for new WAPs, or even new chairs for our office! )

(BTW I work in the same school as Button_Ripple (the OP), I'm the NM he's the Technician; just thought I should mention that or my post would have had people scratching their heads! )

Pete

Thank Post
    The worst think is when they relise how much it's costing them to run they'll probably ban anyone from using it with outsigned permission (in triplicate) from the head, net result headers will all head to the ICT suites when they need to print 100s of worksheets.

Thank Post
    Our ex-Bursar went out and bought a new franking machine, it eats £100 ink cartridges and is much slower than the old one.....

He and an ex-deputy HT also got their heads together and bought a biometric based cash system for school meals. Naturally they did not involve anyone in ICT or office admin. Let us just say it is not without issues

Amateurs.......

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,194 Times in 1,006 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I've had a look at Riscos site, and to be fair they do not advertise it as a photocopier, but rather as a high end bulk printer, proberbly for design departments and the printing industry. I wouldn't blame Risco for the product but the reseller who recommended it in the first place, and the numpty who thought it would fit the bill!

http://www.riso.co.uk/product/fast-l...l-printers.htm

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    I've had a look at Riscos site, and to be fair they do not advertise it as a photocopier, but rather as a high end bulk printer, proberbly for design departments and the printing industry.
    Indeed - looks like the original poster has gained a small-scale digital printing press. Bit over the top, but now it's there they might as well use it to its full potential. It'll save having to send out to print magazines and brochures, anyhow. I know I looked in to the cost of getting our student-produced magazine printed and it turned out to be around £2000, but with that printer you could just print them yourselves. Cool new toy!

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    [QUOTE=Dos_Box;152436]I wouldn't blame Risco for the product but the reseller who recommended it in the first place, and the numpty who thought it would fit the bill!QUOTE]

Thankyou for calling my head teacher a numpty!!!!!!

(turns out we are paying £10,000 for a service contract (which means we get as many ink cartridges as we like) and to make it all better we are leasing the photocopier (can it be called that now?))

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    £10k? Our rented A3 colour laser photcopier only costs £1500/year. That's with a toner deal.

Thank Post
    Haven't the Risco printers/copiers cropped up in discussion before?

I was under the impression that everyone who'd experienced them was very keen to say "run away" IIRC.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 922 Posts
    Can we start caling them Riso's as that what they are please?! and yup they have come up before I;m sure i've mentioned them being rather costly to run over a copier.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread