+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Home ISPs...any recommendations? in General; I'm looking to move flat in about a month, and I'm considering changing ISP (tiscali 2mb unlimited)..anyone out there got ...
    Thank Post

Home ISPs...any recommendations?

I'm looking to move flat in about a month, and I'm considering changing ISP (tiscali 2mb unlimited)..anyone out there got any recommendations?

Needs to be cheap, reliable, lots of headroom (missus is a professional webdev) and not lose VPN/RDP/E-mail/FTP at peak times like Tiscali can...ideally not a 12 month contract either, as it depends how things go at the new place.

Needs to be ADSL as well, as I know there's a BT line in, but I doubt we'll be able to change provider.

Any recommendations? I *could* stay with Tiscali, but since their recent "throttling/port block" problems, and their telling me that using VPN/RDP/FTP and E-mail clients is "business usage suited to a business package instead of a home one"..I'm losing faith TBH.

Any recommendations from you knowledgeable IT types out there?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,675 Times in 1,458 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think Zen will be your best bet. Itís a little more expensive than the others but you get a quality service. Plus no contract.

Z

Thank Post
    I ditched Tiscali, did a lot of research and ended up with IDNET, can't be happier. They're not the cheapest but promise never to do traffic management/shaping and frankly gaming pings, download speeds are awesome.

They also got me 6.5meg broadband, even though I'd been on less than 1meg with Tiscali - who tried twice to increase it and failed. Month by month contract, change over from Tiscali went smoothly, took 3 working days and the outage was less than 2 hours

Thank Post
    I use eurisp an unknown to most but for £22 a month its totally unlimited and has no throttling at peak times.

http://www.eurisp.co.uk/

5. Thanks to pooley from:

FN-GM (30th January 2008)

Thank Post
    i have Sky and getting 16mbs for £10 per month and no throttling is cool by me..

7. Thanks to Grommit from:

FN-GM (30th January 2008)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,675 Times in 1,458 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pooley View Post
    I use eurisp an unknown to most but for £22 a month its totally unlimited and has no throttling at peak times.

http://www.eurisp.co.uk/
    This looks a fairy good company. Fairly cheap. Whats the service and support like?

z

In a Server Room cutting through a forest of Cat5e
    Thank Post
    The UK Free Software Network are a reseller for EntaNet who are simply great
    www.UKFSN.org

Eclipse I used for business before and never had a problem.
    www.eclipse.net.uk

Thank Post
    I use Eclipse at home... considering I live in the middle of nowhere and BT reckon I should barely be able to get DSL, I have managed to eek out some good speeds. Check out my blog at http://rmcharlton.blogspot.com

Thank Post
    Just had to troubleshoot a Zen connection at my parents' house - took 30 minutes to convince them it was a fault at their end, and eventually they admitted they'd deleted the account. Needed a manager to undelete it though, and so it took 24hours to restore service. Not impressed.

UKonline (Easynet) OTOH are who i use at home, and they have been incredibly reliable.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Has anyone tried Be?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Has anyone tried Be?
    I think TinyChimpboy mentioned them in another thread. From what I recall he said he uses them.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts
    Ive got friends on Be in Bradford, and they say its ace once going and works well.

Personally Im looking at either Eclipse or Enta for my ISP Move from the clutches of the Tiscali buying spurge from last year.

Thank Post
    Sky offer to Sky users.... 2mb FREE, 8mb £5 and 16mb £10

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tom_newton View Post
    Just had to troubleshoot a Zen connection at my parents' house - took 30 minutes to convince them it was a fault at their end, and eventually they admitted they'd deleted the account. Needed a manager to undelete it though, and so it took 24hours to restore service. Not impressed.
    I cannot prove it but Zen Internet leaked my bank account details! I nearly lost £2000 last year through fraud. It all started a day after I sent them a fax to upgrade to 16 ips with my card number on.

Police are investigating and so are my banks fraud team. I got the money back through making a claim.

I now use Enta.net (through freeola.net).. Very good so far! No ports are blocked. Cost is £30 though.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    Ive got friends on Be in Bradford, and they say its ace once going and works well.

Personally Im looking at either Eclipse or Enta for my ISP Move from the clutches of the Tiscali buying spurge from last year.
    I've now been banned from the Tiscali forums again... I think Eclipse might be a good move. I've contacted them and asked if I can specify "no hardware needed" if I move to them...they got back to me within an hour and said "no problem", and were very polite indeed.

It looks ever more tempting. I've now discovered that a previous tenant in the new place we're looking at has moved the line from BT in 2001...no idea who it's with now, and £125 to get back on BT. That's after contacting the District council and post office to find out what the house number is as it's been removed and named instead, so we weren't on BTs system under that info.

Why is nothing ever simple?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast