Poll: Ratio of computers to kids in school

+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
General Chat Thread, Computers to Pupils ratio in General; Originally Posted by Andie We were told last month on a training course (LEA) that anything over 5 years old ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Andie View Post
    We were told last month on a training course (LEA) that anything over 5 years old doesn't count for the ratio. That wipes out 27 elderly-but-working-fine networked desktops in classrooms. So we are back up to about 7 pupils to 1 computer.
    Formerly, yes, but not any more. The direction now is that a computer can be counted if it is appropriate to the task for which it is used. The full extent of this is that you could have a Spectrum in your count if you can argue that the software you're using can't be found for a PC, but more realistically it means that a 6-year-old computer in a very low-use or low-demand area is fine, but not in your main IT Suite.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,308 Times in 1,623 Posts
    4.7:1 here but that includes 32 wireless laptops which hardly ever work!
    If you take them out it is much worse

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NickJones View Post
    Formerly, yes, but not any more. The direction now is that a computer can be counted if it is appropriate to the task for which it is used. The full extent of this is that you could have a Spectrum in your count if you can argue that the software you're using can't be found for a PC, but more realistically it means that a 6-year-old computer in a very low-use or low-demand area is fine, but not in your main IT Suite.
    This would put us in a much better situation. I have just gone back up this thread and looked at the link to ratio info, which seems to agree with what you are saying. But the link is to a local gov site, which doesn't quote an official source. Have done a quick Google search, and a search on the dfes/dcfs site, but can't find the official statement of the recommended ratio and how to measure it. Can anyone paste in a link to THE official info on this ratio? We are looking at ICT spending over the next month, and thought we had to replace computers over 5 years old regardless of their ability to do what we need them to do, especially as the LEA had told us this on a training course. If I can get an official statement to wave at the powers that be, we may have more time to consider things!

Thank Post
    Like you, I tried to find definitive statements either confirming or denying the 5 year rule. After much fruitless searching, we took the decision that if such a requirement still existed, we would have found it! We therefore went with the "if it meets the needs, it is okay by us" line from (I think) BECTA's web site.

I should point out that we're an independent school, so don't have to adhere to these rules (although they are of course good advice nonetheless). If my proverbial butt depended on getting the right interpretation, I have may have searched for longer, but in our position I could happily justify our stance to SLT/Governors/parents if asked.

Thank Post
    I think we are getting close to 2:1

Tim

Thank Post
    we have just enough to give every class a computer, let alone 1 per pupil.

Thank Post
    I know this is an old thread but this is non the less interesting, we have roughly 2 students for every PC, however that includes admin and teacher PCs so it is probabally closer to 3:1 student accessable PCs, however about 1/2 of the PCs are 5 years or older, so if those do not count we are down to about 6:1

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123