+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Sales: building up relationships in General; Just something that's cropped up today really... I've just learned that Gary Hogg has left Novatech and having been on ...
    Thank Post

Sales: building up relationships

Just something that's cropped up today really... I've just learned that Gary Hogg has left Novatech and having been on the phone to him a few times over the past few months discussing a biggish project I'm finding myself balking a tiny bit at the prospect of speaking to someone new.

Anyone else find themselves in this sort of situation where someone moves on and suddenly you find you were building your trust in the individual rather than the actual company.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,651 Times in 1,472 Posts
    All the time it really peeves me when a company keeps changing account managers misco and equanet were the worst at this for us.

Ben

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,729 Times in 2,308 Posts
    Blog Entries
    When that happened to us we switched companies along with our account manager. That is part of the bargining tool some of them use to get new and better jobs.

That is of course all dependent on the contract your account manager signed with their old employer.

Thank Post
    We have the same problem with Insight, I've had 4 account managers in the last 2 1/2 years, I don't bother with them any more.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    You try it when the account manager who school has had for well over 7+ years leaves.

Russ

In a Server Room cutting through a forest of Cat5e
    Thank Post
    I had this. I only stuck with our main supplier because of the AM, if I had to deal with any of the others i'd have changed to another company most likely

Thank Post
    It is this same reason why I cannot even be arsed to talk to suppliers anymore, let alone spend time in actually building a raport with them.

It's now a case of cheapest price or best service first whoever the company, as if I have time for idle chit chat with account managers all day

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TeddyKGB View Post
    ..as if I have time for idle chit chat with account managers all day
    Think you might have missed the point a tad here... We're not talking about wasting time getting chummy here, we're talking about finding someone who has a clue, honours their word on things like warranties, and helps you find a solution (or solutions) that fits/fit your needs.

When you find someone who actually speaks the lingo, doesn't BS and can be trusted to offer good advice or make constructive/helpful suggestions it's well worth it but it takes time to get there.

Thank Post
    This can also work the other way round as well. I've built up many good relationships with customers but then every now and again, my contact at the school will say that he is leaving, moving on to other things etc and then you are back to square one.

A lot of the time, you will find that a new IT Manager comes in with his own ideas and his own contacts. No matter that our PCs will have served the school very well over the amount of years they have been buying them or how good our support is - if that new IT manager has a good relationship already with other suppliers from his previous job, you'll find that a lot of the time, they will stick to what they know.

Although saying this, I have customers that have been buying from me for 9 years now and I've worked for 3 different companies in those 9 years so I guess its swings and roundabouts but loyalty and trust goes a long way in this business

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread