+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, Legality of MP3`s in General; I tend to run "dodgy file" searches on the network every couple of weeks or so and remover offending files. ...

Thank Post
    I tend to run "dodgy file" searches on the network every couple of weeks or so and remover offending files. Students appear to copy MP3's from their memory pen into the MyDocuuments folder. I have no problem with them listening directly from their memory pen so I've no idea why they see the need to copy them to the server.

It is generally getting a lot harder to manage now that the influx of media rich courses are coming on board such as DiDA and the students are teachers are getting a little more adventoruos in the way they teach and deliver a lesson, the increase of media files will only grow into the future.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    what would the fair dealing system be? if you are referring to fair use then I believe that that doesn't exist in the uk.

Ben

No I think they mean copyright exemption as you can use copyrighted material for education purpose as long as you a) don't distribute it and b) used for education non-commercial use only.

Thank Post
    I think that glossing over the problem by stating that schools can use the fair dealing system is still a bit vague. But that is the reason I went to the LEA for guidance. I now have written documentation which states how we can use media for educational needs and how it can be stored on the network. Now if anyone queries this, I can point them in the direction of the LEA instead of the blame coming onto me.

We have an AUP in place which clearly states that the network is only available for educational use and is not to be used for personal needs. This covers any files stored there, not just music and video.

The storage area I was thinking about would be where all the legally bought music/video by the school could be stored. Any files brought in from home would not go onto the network as a licence could not be proven(you just know little jonny has downloaded it ilegally)

In all honesty the respsonse that I got back from the legal department did little for my confidence in where the school stands in the legality of storing music and video. But I now have a reference point in case it is ever picked up as I do now want to be respsonsible for making the decision on storing such files as I do not have the expertise. I have always advised people to use their own CDs/DVDs on their personal players, that way it keeps me and the network out of it.

I aggree with grumbledook, there should be some decent guidance for schools by now. The way that pupils are being educated has developed so fast with the aid and use of technology that the guidance is too far behind. There are too many laws open to interpretation that can cause problems - as we can see just from this thread.

My advice, got legal advice from the LEA in writing stating how people can use your network for storing and playing of media files.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pallen View Post
    The storage area I was thinking about would be where all the legally bought music/video by the school could be stored. Any files brought in from home would not go onto the network as a licence could not be proven(you just know little jonny has downloaded it ilegally)
    So you'll be the only person with write access to this area, and all files must go through you - with proof of licence - before you copy them up? Sounds like fun; sounds like a full-time job, too...

Don't get me wrong - I love the theory (I think I even agree with it), but I just can't see how it actually works in reality.

Thank Post
    I was talking more about putting things from the pupils onto that area. They would have to go through me, as you know must pupils dont know (or dont care) about the licencing issue of music and video. After the initial "you cant put that on there as you cant prove you bought it"(for downloaded music etc)they will soon get the message not to bother coming to me without the proper documentation.

As for staff, everything that they use in school now should be purchased through the school and come with licences if required. There should be a record for everything that is used in schools. Storing of music and video should be no different.

Regarding whether my idea would work or not, time will tell. I have asked to meet with staff to discuss how we can implement a solution which upholds all the licences issues and does not generate a massive amount of work for someone. As yet, no one has contacted me, so no music/video files are allowed to be stored.

Oh, and of course it helps if your in a smaller school too We have about 600 pupils here, so fairly small compared to some of you guys Any other ideas are most welcome, especially if someone has already got a system that works.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12