Poll: What do you think is the correct ration for Techiniicans to PC in School's

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Technicians per PC ratio gudielines? in General; Originally Posted by kilroy79763 this is how it stands 1 tech to 500 workstations Is my maths really that bad ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kilroy79763 View Post
    this is how it stands 1 tech to 500 workstations
    Is my maths really that bad that I work out 8 techs for 500 workstations? That's 1:187?

Thank Post
    Isn't that 1:62.5 ?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts
    My last place we where 1 - 450 but all machines where less then 4 years old and all had next day warrantied. Hardware wise the support needed was minimal.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    My last place we where 1 - 450 but all machines where less then 4 years old and all had next day warrantied. Hardware wise the support needed was minimal.
    The hardware issues are not usual time consuming it is the software issues, and the re-imaging and subsequesnt software installations and individual customizations. Some of our machines are 6 and 7 years old and the complaints are really slow speed (which I remedy with added memory) but when they see that someone else has a brand new PC there is envy and they of course have to have a new PC since they "can't do their job because of their PC being so "old"". Reliability is a requirement so they use that as a reason to have their PC replaced...sometimes it is just basically politics also. Glennda do you work on any thing else besides PC? Printers scanners? LCD projectors? iPads?

Thank Post
    The hardware issues are not usual time consuming it is the software issues, and the re-imaging and subsequesnt software installations and individual customizations. Some of our machines are 6 and 7 years old and the complaints are really slow speed (which I remedy with added memory) but when they see that someone else has a brand new PC there is envy and they of course have to have a new PC since they "can't do their job because of their PC being so "old"". Reliability is a requirement so they use that as a reason to have their PC replaced...sometimes it is just basically politics also. Glennda do you work on any thing else besides PC? Printers scanners? LCD projectors? iPads?
    Used to, moved out of education now - software is only an issue if its a: setup wrong b: just rubbish software c: user incompetence.

It was a school with 900pcs (19 suites) 120 projectors about 80 IWB's. 12 MFD's, 30 odd printers. 35 servers mix on Linux and windows. using kvm for hypervisior. voip ip phone system.

We had a set policy that your machines got replaced on a schedule. No individual user in a dept got new pc before another. therefore they only see other subjects getting them and complain less.

Fog for deployment so if a machine was broken refog and it's back online within 40mins.
    Last edited by glennda; 8th July 2012 at 07:42 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    Used to, moved out of education now - software is only an issue if its a: setup wrong b: just rubbish software c: user incompetence.

It was a school with 900pcs (19 suites) 120 projectors about 80 IWB's. 12 MFD's, 30 odd printers. 35 servers mix on Linux and windows. using kvm for hypervisior. voip ip phone system.

We had a set policy that your machines got replaced on a schedule. No individual user in a dept got new pc before another. therefore they only see other subjects getting them and complain less.

Fog for deployment so if a machine was broken refog and it's back online within 40mins.
    Hmm fog? Like Ghost? Where the servers or the workstations virtualized?

Our PCs are replaced on an age basis, only thing is our administrations does not a lot the money needed so we end up replacing most PCs 6 or 7 years later with those that holler the most or depending on rank up the later sooner...I had to tell my supervisor that we NEEDED to replace a bunch of lab PCs ( due to age) before some of the staff PCs that he wanted to replace...personally I wish they would say - we need to replaced them all and keep them no more that 4 years - which was the original plan, however it never happened (money being the excuse - lack there of)

Thank Post
    Hmm fog? Like Ghost? Where the servers or the workstations virtualized?

Our PCs are replaced on an age basis, only thing is our administrations does not a lot the money needed so we end up replacing most PCs 6 or 7 years later with those that holler the most or depending on rank up the later sooner...I had to tell my supervisor that we NEEDED to replace a bunch of lab PCs ( due to age) before some of the staff PCs that he wanted to replace...personally I wish they would say - we need to replaced them all and keep them no more that 4 years - which was the original plan, however it never happened (money being the excuse - lack there of)
    Fog is an open-source automated deployment system (you can remotely image machines as you set all pc's to boot to the network and if there is a job waiting they do it if not they boot normally). Only half the server's where virtual. Didn't have a big enough SAN to Virtulize file servers (needed about 1.4TB). So FS where still physical most others where Virtual Bar a Physical Web server (this was used heavily by both internal and external users as we sold SAAS to other schools which funded a wedge of the budget). We had a yearly budget of around £140,000 ($215,000) though so could afford 4/5 year cycle (where moving to a 5 year cycle as hardware had 5 year warranties).

EDIT: The reason the funding is high as well if beucase the school previously had 6 technicians, a senior tech and Net Manager and we moved (agreed with SLT/Govenors) to a model with less staff but more funding. So actually the school is saving around 50-60k pa.
    Last edited by glennda; 9th July 2012 at 12:32 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,967 Times in 2,182 Posts
    I think there should be a distinction between desktops and laptops because the latter take up significantly more time than the former.

Technicians who manage 300+ desktops have it easy.

Thank Post
    I agree with you Arthur if you have to de-case them etc...fortunately our laptops are under warranty so the vendor gets a call and they come fix them ;-) we do however have 500 PCs at least per tech...Thanks for the info Glennda!

Thank Post
    1600 students
    200 staff
    1000 End user Devs,
    30 Servers on Vmware/Xen/Hardware/
    Wifi,Pcounter,Securus,Websens, Digital Signage, IPTV, VOIP, Cashless Catering, Visitor Syste, Door Acess, Ocasional AV Support, Projectors , IWB's, RFID laptop Lockers, etc.....etc...etc.. VLE, Websites......

Across 2 sites 5 Miles appart.

Was 6 of us..
    then 4 of us..
    soon 3 of them.

That's 1 Tech per site and the NM roaming between the two and trying to do meetings too.

Rob

Thank Post
    Are you guys nuts? we have about 1:433 (3 technicians) I can't imagine having 10 or more technicians in this office haha.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    can i ask how many education techs are term time only?
    Just becta suggested that it should be 1:100, Full time, Full year (if working on machine calculations) Or 1:101~, Full time, Full year (If working from the number of users).

we currently run 1:137 term time only, and have to support and clean the network, projectors, pc's, all the other maintenance. and SLT wont give us full year job's, not to mention there upping our workload buy a lot we will be 1:235~ in September fun times.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnykewell1 View Post
    Are you guys nuts? we have about 1:433 (3 technicians) I can't imagine having 10 or more technicians in this office haha.
    So u support 1299 Pc's are you the only techs there or is there a front line if you will. and how do you go about maintenance. this really does sound a silly amount.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,648 Times in 2,049 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Becta didn't recommend those ratios from what I remember - they were a guide with the proviso that ever school and network is different. On a well maintained network 1:400 might be fine, but on a pooly configured and maintained network 1:200 might not be enough... Here, we have about 1:300 and we manage, just. But its increasing steadily - it'll be about 1:350 after summer.

Thank Post

maintenance

Quote Originally Posted by januttall View Post
    So u support 1299 Pc's are you the only techs there or is there a front line if you will. and how do you go about maintenance. this really does sound a silly amount.
    Maintenance...ah I knew we were missing something.
    We normally don't do any preventative maintenance - everyone is normally too busy trying to "put out fires" to actually go clean up a lab.
    Or similar project. Until we HAVE to.

I think our 500:1 is way to much so maybe 400:1 or 300:1 would be better.
    Our 3 techs do over 3000 incidents (service calls of all magnitudes) a year as it stands.

Although they say our "fleet" we won't expand, we are getting more buildings. We shall see.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast