+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Intel Duo iMac :D in General; Just ordered one on finance, just wanted some info on a few things : 1] How would you go abouts ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,123 Times in 1,025 Posts

Intel Duo iMac :D

Just ordered one on finance, just wanted some info on a few things :

1] How would you go abouts dual booting it with windows

2] What software do I get with the mac ( I didnt order any specific apps or packages, just ordered it bog standard except for the 1gb memory upgrade) and what can I do with that software more or less ( Just a brief out line would be fine )

3] what do I need or how do I go abouts playing different region dvds ( apparently there is a bin file or something you can apply ( cant remember exactly )

4] Are there any comparisons of the 17" intel duo imacs versus the previous model 17" imac to see the realistic performance improvement etc.

Any other info you think would be worth while posting etc would be good

P.S Me.Converted() = True

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: Intel Duo iMac :D

1) At the moment you don't. Intel Macs boot off something call EFI (Extensable firmware interface) which only Windows IA64 supports. Vista will apparently support EFI but don't expect XP to without some hacking

2) You get front row (half baked MCE-alike from what I hear) and the iLife suite. I'm sure you get other stuff too.

3) Pass, sorry

4) There is a review on ArsTechnica about them. At the moment the vast majority of Mac software is still running on PPC code so it has to get translated via Rosetta. The few universal binaries that do exist are generally a tad quicker on the Intel machine.

I have to say, if I had the spare money I'd be seriously tempted by one of these things myself.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,889 Times in 1,170 Posts
    Blog Entries

A quick note on the speed thing.

Apps running under Rosetta seem to perform at the same rate as they would on the equivalent existing PPC.

This means that there will undoubtably be a new generation of Pro Apps from Apple soon that are universal binary based ... until then you will not see a massive improvement.

Do not expect it to suddenly be a fantastic gaming machine, do expect it to be your digital hub at home.

Thank Post

As long as it plays halo which apparently the mac mini can so im sure the imac duo imac will manage it, im not expecting it to be a PS 3 or anything like that As long as it works.

Thank Post

@GrumbleDook: Photoshop didn't seem to happy during Mr Jobbs' keynote speech

The thing I find a bit harsh is that if you want to use the recompiled 'pro' apps like FinalCut and Apperture you will have to 'crossgrade' (I think that the cost mentioned was $40). This seems like a scam to me since the people who will NEED these machines are the users of these apps and the apps won't be cross-compiled until March.

@gecko: I'm pretty sure that you will still be able to run XP in a VirtualPC on the Mac (at the very least it will use Rosetta to emulate a PowerPC). All the benchmark comparisons are on the Apple site and are included in the MacWorld keynote speech.

Thank Post

Not that I only want it for halo cos the x code and apple scripts look really good and Im looking forward to programming with that

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Office for Mac will have universal binaries "soon" ... and Office for Mac Pro includes VPC ... I am waiting for confirmation that VPC will be updated too ...

But not holding my breath.

Thank Post

All I can say with regards to photo shop not working is --> THANK GOD for open source ( GIMP springs to mind ) ok so maybe you will have to use virtual pc but hey whatever works right ?

with regards to getting windows on the mac, do you have to have 64 bit windows or windows vista for it to work then ?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

at the moment the only OS an Intel Mac takes is OSX ... I have not even heard of any flavour of linux going on yet ... but it won't be long.

Thank Post

you get gimp for windows I know Ive used it I was thinking along the lines of using virtual pc and installing it using the windows binary

Thank Post

If you want to use the Gimp, just recompile the source using your Mac - jobs a good un. Or run the OSX version of Gimp using Rosetta.

Thank Post

Yeah- you can't *right now* dual boot with a Windows OS, because XP (even though it kind of supports EFI) isn't supported (apparently there is some kind of TPM in there or whatever). Vista *will* be able to dual boot in principle, but that doesn't mean it is going to happen.

Windows "on the Mac" is a loaded statement. You can do this through Virtual PC. It's not bad. But it *is* expensive and comes (if you want) with a copy of Office for Mac (far better than the Windows version until Office 12 anyway). I have VPC on my iMac G5 and it's a pain. So I run a real Windows machine instead :-)

Tony is right about the Pro Apps not being cross-compiled with universal binaries until March. However, the cost to upgrade is going to be so low as to make it totally worth the effort and wait. I don't think professional Mac users will be that bothered if the products perform natively and as fast as we have been promised by Apple and developers...

Gaming: Tony is right. Buy a console is my advice. I got an XBox 360 last week and it's fantastic. You have a PS2- use it. The Mac will play Halo (and better than my Windows machine), but it isn't a gaming machine. It *is* a digital hub for a lifestyle where creativity is central. That's not a corny statement (well, maybe it is) but that's how I see it and use it.

XCode and Applescript: both fantastic development tools. The latter is very easy to learn and work with (especially with Automator) but the former requires a lot more knowledge. Objective C, C, Java etc. You will have to install the development tools separately (well, I've always had to). Remember to install X11 as an option if you want to run things like GIMP and Unix software that doesn't run "natively" too (Open Office 2 etc).

Speed comparison: that's a Windows users' answer to everything, as if it proves all. It doesn't. But I will say my iMac G5 can do anything the average Windows machine can do and just as well. I won't claim any more or less...

Paul

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

we should be getting one in soon to review so watch out for edugeeks full review of it...

russ

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread