+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Making a database - general query in General; MY other half has been asked to "make a database" at work, now seeing as she's had no training or ...

Thank Post

Post Making a database - general query

MY other half has been asked to "make a database" at work, now seeing as she's had no training or experience in doing so she's assuming that they want it done in MS access.

However they've now said that they want to be able to edit, add, remove details as and when they see fit, use it in mail merges but have it easy to use (hinting at a front end).

Surely this is beyond "make a database" and would really be needing a developer of some kind to do? They way my good wench described it to me they want it to flag up all sorts of information depending on who you click on - it's more of an application accessing a database than anything straight forward! eg if you click on joe bloggs name - it'll tell you what organisation he works for and list alternative contact people etc. and projects he's worked on in the past.

I've told her to get them to list everything they want to do with this database as in all honesty I think it's the usual case of what the user wants being far removed to what their work can offer as they don't have the expertise or software available to do it.

Thoughts anyone?

Thank Post
    As you say, get a full list of requirements.... then find something on Sourceforge that'll do it for nowt.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,170 Times in 1,605 Posts
    Retired DBA of over 15 years experience here...

Your other half is being asked to write an application which requires a database behind it.

As in any application, you can't do anything without a full spec of what is required and an understanding of the tools you'll use to create it. If she has never used relational database tools like Access and isn't being given time to to learn, I'd stay away. It's beyond her expertise to design and build quickly and accurately as she'll be learning about the tools while she is doing it.

If her employer is prepared for her to learn as she writes, and accept that it won't have everything they require immediately go ahead. She needs to make sure that they fully understand this first.

Access is designed to do the kind of job she's being asked to do, but she is probably not the person to do it!

Incidentally, mailmerge is the least of her worries - that can be hung off access as easily as it can from Excel.
    Last edited by elsiegee40; 21st January 2008 at 09:32 PM.

Thank Post
    Cheers peeps I had the impression this was something that was growing legs quickly and frankly she was being screwed over about.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread