+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Social Networking Safety in General; Evening all, I have come across the following section of the popular Bebo site. It has a wealth of information ...

Thank Post

Social Networking Safety

Evening all,

I have come across the following section of the popular Bebo site. It has a wealth of information for pupils, staff and parents.

http://www.bebo.com/safety

After coming across the above site, I thought perhaps this is common amongst the popular networking sites, and MySpace have a similar section, not quite as user-friendly, but all the same, please have a look and pass it on.

www.myspace.com/safety

I thought something like this would be useful as group discussions amougst the kids. Something to share with your staff perhaps?

Thank Post
    nice find, cheers

Thank Post
    You're welcome!

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,343 Times in 742 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Bebo scares the hell out of me - the amount of stuff people post online about themselves is unbelievable! We warn our kids all the time but they still do stupid things like posting their mobile numbers, which school they go to, which town they live in, etc. And some of our staff are no better.

Thank Post
    Thanks for this. I am due to do a session on internet safety for parents - as I don't want the Panarama program putting a lot of fear into parents.

Has anybody done anything similar before for parents - i'll probably be doing a powerpoint and a handout for all parents to take away.

It will be a voltunary session and I can't imagine a lot of parents turning up - but it ticks boxes with OFSTED and the likes.

Do any other schools offer advice on Internet safety / bullying to students through a PHSE lesson etc?

Thanks

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,343 Times in 742 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylv3r View Post
    Thanks for this. I am due to do a session on internet safety for parents - as I don't want the Panarama program putting a lot of fear into parents.

Has anybody done anything similar before for parents - i'll probably be doing a powerpoint and a handout for all parents to take away.

It will be a voltunary session and I can't imagine a lot of parents turning up - but it ticks boxes with OFSTED and the likes.

Do any other schools offer advice on Internet safety / bullying to students through a PHSE lesson etc?

Thanks
    Andrew, we use/have joined:

http://www.thinkuknow.co.uk/

They can provide training/literature/handouts and they have some excellent videos on their website. You do have to register with them if you have not already done so..

Thank Post
    While they do post all these 'safety guidelines' they're still enabling (almost encouraging?) their users to post their personal details for all to see, and users still do. The guidelines are all there to be read, but what proportion of our kids read it, and of those who do how many of them actually take in the guidelines and protect themselves?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread