+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Help! in General; Hi guys, today I told my deputy I was doing a CCNA course in my own time and out of ...
    Thank Post

Help!

Hi guys, today I told my deputy I was doing a CCNA course in my own time and out of my own pocket. I told him the price and he kind of spluttered his coke everywhere! He told me I should write a letter explaining why I am doing the course and how it will benefit the school, and there is a chance the school may front some, possibly all of the cost! Excellent I thought!

Now, i'm kind of stuck on what to put in this letter. We are on a managed RM network at the moment, which nobody (especially the head), seems to like much. Should I go down the route of saying this course will give me sufficient knowledge to eventually move us away from a 3rd party managed network? It seems the best way to go as far as I can tell. Anyway, what i'm asking my fellow edugeekers for is some other possible benefits for the school. Anyone got any?

Cheers.

Rob.

Thank Post
    my school paid for me to do the same course nearly 3 years ago now... i'll have a think.... continued proffessional development and investors in people came into it somewhere i think.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,168 Times in 1,603 Posts
    Once you are fully trained, the school will be paying both you and RM to run and maintain the school's ICT resources.

"When I am fully trained, there will be little need for the school to be so reliant on a third party to provide ICT within the school and therefore significant cost savings can be made."

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    Once you are fully trained, the school will be paying both you and RM to run and maintain the school's ICT resources.

"When I am fully trained, there will be little need for the school to be so reliant on a third party to provide ICT within the school and therefore significant cost savings can be made."
    Good one! The head is especially reluctant to part with the managed service costs, and it has held him back when purchasing new laptops. We ordered 20 rather thant he 40 we wanted due to the added costs involved! Thanks!

Anymore?!

Rob.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,168 Times in 1,603 Posts
    Hit 'em in the wallet! It is always the best option!

I managed to persuade my lot to pay one third of the cost of the training that I'm due to start next week. I started out by requesting just the tiime off to do the course, not the money. They came back with the offer of a contribution... I was stunned!

Thank Post
    CPD (Continuing Professional Development) is certainly one of the routes to take as it's the sort of language teachers understand, it's built in to their employment and is expected of them (They will also have a budget set aside for it). Next is the money it will save them if they get rid of the managed services (though what your school will do with the advent of BSF is another matter). They may also be worried that having (part) paid for your training you'll swan off at the first opportunity to a much better paid job, so some reassurances here on your part would be helpful.
    HTH

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by beeswax View Post
    CPD (Continuing Professional Development) is certainly one of the routes to take as it's the sort of language teachers understand, it's built in to their employment and is expected of them (They will also have a budget set aside for it). Next is the money it will save them if they get rid of the managed services (though what your school will do with the advent of BSF is another matter). They may also be worried that having (part) paid for your training you'll swan off at the first opportunity to a much better paid job, so some reassurances here on your part would be helpful.
    HTH
    See, this is partly what I'm worried about. If the school doesn't up my pay come next year I will be leaving out of necessity. Currently on 11k. I'm looking to move down south soon anyway, probably next Jan, which is why I never asked the school for funding in the first place. The worst they can do is ask me to pay it back though I assume? which will leave me no shorter than i'd already be. The school don't know that I'm looking to move away next year as nothing is ever set in stone. I'd love to be able to say I'd stay, but I wouldn't unless my pay was substaintially increased, which of course, the school can't guarantee. I've been here 3 years september as it is, all be it 2 of those as an 'apprentice'. I was only took on a full-time this Jan. So I can't work for peanuts much longer!

Rob.

Thank Post
    As my manager understands, every opportunity i get to learn means he's getting better qualified staff for the same pay, and as i learn the opportunites to develop the network grow.

for about 250 so far the school has got an RIS server, moodle, images of every machine, ASR backup on all main machines and loads of other nice bits.

Also means when the dodo hits the fan theres less chance the school will need to get in a senior tech at a massive cost to help out.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Thread Information