+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, New MacBook - The stupidest laptop I've ever seen. in General; I have to laugh at this thing: 1. It's got no optical drive! - Thats gonna cost extra 2. One ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts

New MacBook - The stupidest laptop I've ever seen.

I have to laugh at this thing:

1. It's got no optical drive! - Thats gonna cost extra
    2. One USB port - want more ? Gonna cost extra
    3. Sealed-in, non-replaceable battery. Thats gonna cost alot to replace
    4. At 0.4cm thick at the thin end, its soon gonna snap
    5. I wonder how hot this thing is going to run ?
    6. Docking station perhaps ? Errrrrr no
    7. RJ45 connector ? Music or movies for the road ? Doing that over wifi will be loads of fun
    8. Firewire ? Nope

But a man in a black T-shirt and jeans is showing it to us so it must be good !!!!

Oooopppps, forgot one more thing - it won't run The Admin's Admin Bar so it's a waste to time folks.....
    Last edited by mattx; 16th January 2008 at 09:11 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mattx View Post

To be fair:
    1 - isn't really a problem unless it is your only machine. My laptop at home doesn't have one & I get along fine mapping to other drives the rare occasions I need one.
    2 - sucks big time. But it does depend on how you are going to use. The people I have spoken to that want one want it as purely a transportable machine so won't have lots of devices hanging off it. One USB for a memory stick will be enough for them
    3 - Depends on how long it lasts. Most people these days change laptops before or around the time the battery needs changing so won't be a problem for them.
    4 - This will be interesting to see play out especially as those that want it as a transportable device have said it will be great as they can bung it in a small bag just like a magazine.
    5 - I have visions of burnt trousers. Again it will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Thank Post
    Posting this sat in front of my imac, with my macbook pro sat next to me!

It sucks. It's the most ridiculous laptop to be released for ages, and has very limited use.

I wonder how you go about doing a fresh install

I was hoping for something nice, but the more I read the more I was disappointed. Screen resolution is too low, usb ethernet dongle, non user serviceable battery and no dvd, too few usb/firewire.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,045 Times in 967 Posts
    the only plus side are the trackpad actions which they dont have on the mac book pro or mac book from what im aware, could be wrong though

Using carbon copy to an external hard drive ?

http://www.bombich.com/software/ccc.html

They do a USB ethernet port but then that means using the only usb port on the laptop, unless you get a usb hub ( not even sure that would work ) that way you could use the ethernet adaptor and attach extra usb devices.

What happened to firewire though ?

A sealed battery is a bit crud admitidly. Maybe they will bring out version 2 of this laptop in a year or so with the extra fixes / more ports etc ?
    Last edited by mac_shinobi; 16th January 2008 at 09:35 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,890 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It seems like it would be a good product in the ultra light market if they had done it slightly differently:

1. As well as the thin nature of it, made it smaller in width/height.
    2. Made the screen swivel to use as a tablet
    3. Charged less for it - as it stands we are paying a 200 'look at them suckers in the UK' tax.
    4. Made the SSD an affordable option! That price hike is ridiculous.

If it had, say, a 10" screen, the option for SSD at half that price, more than a single USB connector and cost 999 then it would be a good deal. 1199 for what it is, I don't think so.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I think it looks fantastic.

1) I have no idea why laptops still come with optical drives, totally pointless in my opinion these days with the internet and all!

2) 1 usb port is a bit silly, but if they include something like a usb hub then it might work.

3) Don't care about this one, never replaced a laptop battery in my life.

8) Firewire is a dead technology.

Thank Post
    Firewire is pretty essential if you're doing video...

You've never needed a new Laptop battery? Do you not have laptops at your place?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mattx View Post

6. Docking station perhaps ? Errrrrr no
    7. RJ45 connector ? Music or movies for the road ? Doing that over wifi will be loads of fun
    8. Firewire ? Nope

But a man in a black T-shirt and jeans is showing it to us so it must be good !!!!

Oooopppps, forgot one more thing - it won't run The Admin's Admin Bar so it's a waste to time folks.....
    In answer to you're comments...

1. So what ? Extra expense for an external DVD....but the air did not need an internal drive

2. get a usb hub....connected devices won't run at top speed...but most peripherals you'd maybe want to connect don't need to. Most devices can be connected wirelessly or via bluetooth i.e printers

3. Sealed in battery could be a problem, particularly with an investment you'll want to keep using for atleast 4 years.

4. wait and see, i'm sure it's gone through rigourous QA...and i bet it's not as brittle as you make out.

5. wait and see, it probably will run hot but does have an alum case.

6. Why do you want a dock?...it's not a typical business machine. One of the advantages of the air will be that unlike most windows laptops or older apple laptops, there'll be a complete smooth bare suface top and bottom....no stickers no compartments...no dock connectors.

7. USB dongle for ethernet........before you say it...yes i know you'll have only 1 usb port free......but that's why you bought the usb hub Anyway most of the time the free usb port will be for you're usb stick. All other communication from the Air is designed to be via bluetooth, wifi or ethernet. Even superdrive access is possible over wifi to a remote machine.

oops, It appears there's only one usb - well just means you need to do a bit of plugging and unplugging, not the end of the world. All though i'm sure they could have squeezed in an additional port.

8. you'll only reastically want firewire for video capture. No doubt they'll release a dongle if you desperately need to be capturing video into the air..

I wouldn't want to be an early adopter of this product...as they are bound to remedy some of the issues in future revisions. And the price will probably come down aswell.
    Last edited by torledo; 16th January 2008 at 09:53 AM.

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,343 Times in 742 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm waiting to see the ultimate test on Does it Blend?!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,045 Times in 967 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by torledo View Post
    In answer to you're comments...

1. So what ? Extra expense for an external DVD....but the air did not need an internal drive

2. get a usb hub....connected devices won't run at top speed...but most peripherals you'd maybe want to connect don't need to. Most devices can be connected wirelessly or via bluetooth i.e printers

3. Sealed in battery could be a problem, particularly with an investment you'll want to keep using for atleast 4 years.

4. wait and see, i'm sure it's gone through rigourous QA...and i bet it's not as brittle as you make out.

5. wait and see, it probably will run hot but does have an alum case.

6. Why do you want a dock?...it's not a typical business machine. One of the advantages of the air will be that unlike most windows laptops or older apple laptops, there'll be a complete smooth bare suface top and bottom....no stickers no compartments...no dock connectors.

7. USB dongle for ethernet........before you say it...yes i know you'll have only 1 usb port free......but that's why you bought the usb hub Anyway most of the time the free usb port will be for you're usb stick. All other communication from the Air is designed to be via bluetooth, wifi or ethernet. Even superdrive access is possible over wifi to a remote machine.

oops, It appears there's only one usb - well just means you need to do a bit of plugging and unplugging, not the end of the world. All though i'm sure they could have squeezed in an additional port.

8. you'll only reastically want firewire for video capture. No doubt they'll release a dongle if you desperately need to be capturing video into the air..

I wouldn't want to be an early adopter of this product...as they are bound to remedy some of the issues in future revisions. And the price will probably come down aswell.
    If you had a usb hub you could get an external USB dvd rw drive.

I don't have the cash to be an early adopter , even if I did I would still go with the mac book pro or another apple product.
    Last edited by mac_shinobi; 16th January 2008 at 10:10 AM.

Thank Post
    I think the point is, it has these things missing then you need to buy them. It's not only not cheap to start with, it's expensive. So you don't expect basic things to be missing!

But it's ok because it's an Apple product, they can do no wrong, correct?

If Microsoft released this they'd be slaughtered.

It never fails to surprise me the concessions people will make for something sleek and white.

Thank Post
    So you have your ultra portable being carried around with:

1) Charger, battery is going to be dead in 18 months after all.
    2) wireless optical drive
    3) wireless optical drive power
    4) Usb hub
    5) Usb hub power adaptor
    6) Spare laptop - can't restore very easily without firewire (target disk!)
    7) network dongle
    8) external hard disk, 64GB isn't very much after you install the bloated os x.
    9) mini dvi adaptor.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DMcCoy View Post
    So you have your ultra portable being carried around with:

1) Charger, battery is going to be dead in 18 months after all.
    2) wireless optical drive
    3) wireless optical drive power
    4) Usb hub
    5) Usb hub power adaptor
    6) Spare laptop - can't restore very easily without firewire (target disk!)
    7) network dongle
    8) external hard disk, 64GB isn't very much after you install the bloated os x.
    9) mini dvi adaptor.

1) you'd have to carry a charger around with all laptops on the market - even the ones with bold battery life claims such as the pansonic toughbook - for all day use

2) the eee requires an external drive - no comaplaints there.

3) above

4) i personally wouldn't carry around a usb hub - i'm happy to swap devices out on an as needed basis

5) above

6) restoring from fw disk isn't a day-to-day activity

7) dongles are tiny - fit into a small pocket in the laptop bag

8) it's enough for day-to-day use, and you'd save a lot of disk space if you escehwed some or all ilife components (the most overrated software package on the mac)

8) see 7

No doubt the Air would have gone the way of the foleo had anyone but Apple tried it, so yes there's always the brand overcoming the limitations. But i bet the pictures don't do justice to how stunning it actually is. It has a uniqueness element - but you'd be mad to buy one with you're own money. Poor value doesn't equate to it being a turkey.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by torledo View Post
    2) the eee requires an external drive - no comaplaints there.

3) above
    Have you seen the price difference? That's the point. I don't care if it comes without a screen and you need to plug one in, as long as that's reflected in the price. The Apple doesn't. But then when did they ever?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mrforgetful View Post
    Have you seen the price difference? That's the point. I don't care if it comes without a screen and you need to plug one in, as long as that's reflected in the price. The Apple doesn't. But then when did they ever?
    Exactly.

I really fail to see the market for one of these other than the type of person who likes to show off how much more money than sense they have.
    Macs are for media yeah? Not without a firewire port they arnt.
    So its for the internet then, bloody expensive for a internet browser dont you think?
    But its portable. Yeah great, every bussiness will be rushing out to buy their salesmen them then? Not when the Macbook Pro is near enough in the same price bracket and is much more suited to bussiness use.

Like i said, its for people with more money than sense, typically the ones who dont know what a computer is actually for.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast