+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, New MacBook - The stupidest laptop I've ever seen. in General; Originally Posted by mrforgetful Have you seen the price difference? That's the point. I don't care if it comes without ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mrforgetful View Post
    Have you seen the price difference? That's the point. I don't care if it comes without a screen and you need to plug one in, as long as that's reflected in the price. The Apple doesn't. But then when did they ever?
    I take you're point, all would be forgiven if the Air was more competitvely priced.....guess Steve jobs didn't get the memo that consumers have higher expectations of price/performance thanks to the eee .

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by torledo View Post
    I take you're point, all would be forgiven if the Air was more competitvely priced.....guess Steve jobs didn't get the memo that consumers have higher expectations of price/performance thanks to the eee .
    I had to hold back a choking death laugh when I went through and priced one up out of curiosity. Not only was the price large but the then ask "Do you want an apple Cinema Display with that. It compliments your Air perfectly" If you want to give me one, yes. For $900 no.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,066 Times in 623 Posts
    I have no idea why laptops still come with optical drives, totally pointless in my opinion these days with the internet and all!
    How about to get OS's & software installed ?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,738 Times in 1,087 Posts
    Blog Entries
    hmmm ... it's ok .. got some good bits and some bad bits. I like the portability and sleekness of it, I won't miss the optical drive as I am used to mapping volumes in from other machines. The lack of firewire is nasty ... seriously nasty. I would like it as an extra machine if I had a dedicated desktop, but I would find it way too limiting as a main machine.

For education use? I can't see the use for it right now. I would need to play with one to even try to come up with a use ... I can't use it as a bookable machine for the library as the battery life would be dire after the partial charge, recharge, charge ... it is too flimsy to have in laptop trolleys ... and i certainly wouldn't give such a limited machine to our students on the laptops for students deal.

Micro-DVI ... yet another connector to lose!.
    Analogue Audio out ... I want digital!
    1 USB 2.0 ... I need at least 2.

I like the solid state drive option ... but 64GB is too small. With no firewire I will have to put a large amount of data on there ... and this is before we get to boot camp.

For me it gets a 2 out of 5 ... the present MacBook gets a 4 ... and the MacBook Pro sat on my desk gets 4.5

Thank Post
    Always the voice of reason.

What's your take on the price?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,738 Times in 1,087 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The price is one of of the reasons why it lost a whole point for me. The availability of a reasonably priced MacBook Pro for not much more means that you are going to have to want it for a particular reason.

It is not aimed at the general user ... it is aimed at those who already have hefty desktops and need a swanky laptop to go with it.

Anyone remember the days when Sony used to sell you a naff desktop and then get you to take a Vaio as well?

It isn't one of the best things out there ... I would prefer an EEEPC ... but as far as the design, preformance and general feel of the machine it looks as if it is an advancement. Kudos goes for that ...

Then again the Cube was an advancement in my eyes ... but I am sure glad they got rid of it.

Think of this as a starting point for things to come ... the technology in this will soon spread to other things once it become cost effective.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12