+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Teachers get 2.45% pay rise in General; but that's part of the fun...the adrenaline rush, the damp palms, the palpitations..heh.....
    Thank Post
    but that's part of the fun...the adrenaline rush, the damp palms, the palpitations..heh..

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by j17sparky View Post
    As much as we english knock the french, they know what they want and arnt affraid to go out and get it.
    I think the difference is that the french public generally support strike movements even when it causes disruption....

In this country when that happens first the newspapers go nuts and then the public turn on the strikers/demonstrators telling them they should just get on with their job. And then the government threatens legislation to prevent certain groups from striking, remeber the firefighters.

From what I recall the petrol strike of 2005 saw people turning against the action enabling the government to do nothing.

When will we learn, a little bit of solidarity in certain instances can actually influence change. And we're all the better for it in the long run.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by torledo View Post
    I think the difference is that the french public generally support strike movements even when it causes disruption....

In this country when that happens first the newspapers go nuts and then the public turn on the strikers/demonstrators telling them they should just get on with their job. And then the government threatens legislation to prevent certain groups from striking, remeber the firefighters.

From what I recall the petrol strike of 2005 saw people turning against the action enabling the government to do nothing.

When will we learn, a little bit of solidarity in certain instances can actually influence change. And we're all the better for it in the long run.
    I agree. Ive always said thats our problem, we as a people find it really difficult to stick together.

Thank Post
    I think most of the time it is a mentatlity of "It doesn't affect us, you striking does so stop it". When Unison went on strike last time most comments were along the lines of "If you don't like the job change it & stop whining" Or "Try it out in the real world, we don't have unions" etc etc. Solidarity doesn't come into it, just a complete lack of regard for others.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TechMonkey View Post
    I think most of the time it is a mentatlity of "It doesn't affect us, you striking does so stop it". When Unison went on strike last time most comments were along the lines of "If you don't like the job change it & stop whining" Or "Try it out in the real world, we don't have unions" etc etc. Solidarity doesn't come into it, just a complete lack of regard for others.
    All that striking and yet their trains still run on time .....

and their standard of living is much greater than our own, despite the fact their economy is experiencing a slowdown. France isn't perfect - they have a hard time of dealing with the immigration issue and there's a great deal of inner city unrest but in cosmo france and out in the sticks the french are desperate to preserve their way of life, so the government support their farmers even if it means butting heads with the euro bloc countries and the government spend billions on public infrastructure and actually see a return through improved service.

Our government have failed miserably in those two key areas becuase as a nation we don't enforce sufficent checks and balances on them.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by torledo View Post
    France isn't perfect - they have a hard time of dealing with the immigration issue
    By shoving their issues on the next ferry to Dover? Yep hard times alright

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I don't feel sorry for teachers, if anything I think they should get a pay cut. They're highly overpaid compared to professionals in our circle.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts
    Must admit I agree with webman, they are well paid and the rest of school staff are forgotten about.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by K.C.Leblanc View Post
    They might not be the only ones. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7187869.stm

We can wish anyway.

I briefly worked in the housing offices of a certain unnamed council and to be perfectly honest, the job is shit, the wage is shit, and you don't need a single brain cell to do it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    Must admit I agree with webman, they are well paid and the rest of school staff are forgotten about.
    Don't forget the unrivalled levels of job security, full salary pensions and excellent career progression opportunities.

I keep hearing those in teaching banging on about the stresses of being a head or deputy head...but i'm sorry for salaries of upward of 55K into the 70K region they don't do an awful lot compared to positions of similar salary in industry such as a senior sales manager or at the top end finance directors of a mid-size org - the pressures are on an entirely different level.

In my mind headteachers in general on 70K occupy the same position as moneybags gp's i.e over-rated, over payed and over 'ere.
    Last edited by torledo; 15th January 2008 at 10:26 PM.

Thank Post
    I think that some staff *do* deserve a pay rise however - I know that in the place I work, some teachers are on less money than I am Oddly its these teachers who are probably the best, they work longer hours, have happier more motivated classes (from what i've seen) and generally are more conciencious. Yet the ones that are bloody useless are far, far too overpaid. In fact as a tax payer some of the wages I find quite disgraceful!

(obviously you are privy to financial information before I get flamed)
    Last edited by Oops_my_bad; 15th January 2008 at 10:35 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts
    Did the teachers ever strike on Grange Hill ?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Hands up al those who went and googled to see if they did or not and then spent next 20 mins looking at grange hill fan sites...

Russ
    Last edited by russdev; 15th January 2008 at 11:27 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    *looks around*

Nope, just you Russ

Thank Post
    Where I used to be, the HT was on 95k+, and a *large* number of teaching staff were on 50-70 and up. I was on 18k, then 20k, and the rest of the IT staff were on 10-16k.
    We went back and forth a lot on this - always we had the 'we pay well for the area' argument thrown at us. Well yes, it's a deprived rural area - but when you can earn more shelf-stacking in the Tesco's down the road. No money for training, no money for payrises - yet year on year the HT got his payrise (over 100k by now I'd imagine) and the teachers paychecks got fatter and fatter.

I did have to control my reaction to a department head telling me, with a straight face, that 'if I wanted money, I wouldnt be in teaching' - pray tell what - bank robbery?
    Same dept head also justified the reason for the abysmal pay for technicians by saying we 'werent paid to think'

Guess what department? ICT teacher.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast