+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Losing the TA bit - yippee!! in General; Been meaning to share some good news for a while... I was employed in this school as an ICT Teaching ...
    Thank Post

Smile Losing the TA bit - yippee!!

Been meaning to share some good news for a while...

I was employed in this school as an ICT Teaching Assistant as well as ICT Technician - the whole job being only 12 hours then (small school in the primary sector). This meant I was expected to be in all ICT classes when they were being taught as well as all the techy bits. Small network then, has now grown and I am still the only IT Support and still part time. Anyway, at the start of December I finally got permission not to have to be in ICT classes unless the teacher needed me. It has already made a big difference to my workload, and I can now plan things like improvements and get on with some of those niggly jobs that need doing but get pushed to the back of the job pile for months on end!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Good news,
    I hope the school have re-graded your post to reflect the extra level of responsibility you have to facilitate these improvements, you'll probably go up a couple of payscales, most LA's have graded technicians above TA's.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,294 Times in 1,693 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    Good news,
    I hope the school have re-graded your post to reflect the extra level of responsibility you have to facilitate these improvements, you'll probably go up a couple of payscales, most LA's have graded technicians above TA's.

Well done you. I understand the problems you'll have had getting this - it happened to me. After several failed negotiations; I had to "work to rule" and when the techy stuff didn't get done, I pointed out that I was employed for 4 hours a day - they had a choice.

Thank Post
    You lucky devil, unfortunately my role ICT Technician & Teaching Assistant has a very open job description. I not only teach 14 lessons a week (split into two groups i take half, my collegue takes the other half) but I have taken on all the responsibilities of a the ICT co-ordinator because our current one does nothing. So low and behold my 11k salary is certainly being abused.
    Sod it, im enjoying myself

Thank Post
    Gratz Andie

@apoth0r: If you are doing the job of the ICT Co-ordinator, you shouldnt put up with 11k... hell if you worked as an admin worker you'd probably get the same if not more. Techy shouldn't do any planning, management or development.

Thank Post
    Congratulations!

Rob.

Thank Post

Congratulations

When I first started here nearly 5 years ago as Network Manager, they pushed me into classrooms. So I know exactly what you feel like. Takes a 'special' kind of somebody to be a teacher(or whatever).
    Took me a year to get back out of it. But made my life a lot happier. I still do the odd bit of tuition every now and again but refuse to be timetabled.

Thank Post
    I'm employed as ta/tech 12 hours as well in one of my schools, I'm timetabled to be in the suite for all but one of those hours (my maintenance time), but find that either the class don't appear or once they're started don't need me so I slip off to do something far more interesting!
    I used to be a TA and found it so boring turned me into a clock watcher, actually just like being back at school!

Thank Post
    most LA's have graded technicians above TA's.
    Since, April I've been paid TA3 for 1/2 day PPA cover that I do at one of my schools - it was a pay rise

Primaries don't generally follow rules or suggestions or guidelines when its comes to paying non-teachers

regards

Simon

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleSi View Post

Primaries don't generally follow rules or suggestions or guidelines when its comes to paying non-teachers
    Then they'll be in for a shock if someone makes an equal pay claim because they can be backdated by 6yrs + compensation + pension. It's not a matter of rules/suggestions/guidlines its a matter of law.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,513 Times in 1,750 Posts
    I work in a middle deemed secondary school and the county payscales are such that I am on about £1 an hour more than the TAs.
    I have never done any TA'ing and I made it clear when I took the job that I don't do children. So, I don't have that problem but I still only get 10 hours a week to look after quite a big school.
    Well done to you for getting rid of the TA bit!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    Good news,
    In my dreams!!

As SimpleSi says, the primary sector does things differently, law or no law!

Actually, I can't complain, as I am on a high TA scale, and I guess that will stay as I will still have to help in the odd class - still one or two teachers and supply teachers who lack IT confidence. I did turn down the offer of HLTA status with the "bonus" of teaching all the IT classes a couple of years ago.

Thanks for all your good wishes.
    Last edited by Andie; 12th January 2008 at 10:28 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread