+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Fibre broadband with no download limits. Recommendation? in General; ...

Thank Post

Fibre broadband with no download limits. Recommendation?

I used to sing EE's praises with regards to internet. Anybody that badmouthed it would be treated to a 30-page essay about how amazing it has been for me, how there has barely been any issues in the two years I had been with them and how their phone staff were friendly and (usually) as knowledgeable as could reasonably be expected for a phone jockey.

Since moving into my new house, however.. Ooohoho that has changed. It took nearly a month to get my new phone line fitted (with multiple BT Openreach guys paying multiple visits). There were problems from Day 1. Choppy connections being the biggest one, of which I discovered during my own troubleshooting that the faceplate/splitter BT Openreach had provided (the one attached to the master socket into the house) was faulty. I took it off, bought my own splitter, and my net no longer randomly cut out..

But then!
    Housemate downstairs streams a YouTube video. Suddenly BAM, no other device in the house has any internet connection. Other PC's, phones over WiFi, nothing. Not a sniff of data. Can't even resolve DNS requests or ping out. Absolute nightmare.
    Downloading something from steam at 3.2 MB/s? BAM. Same issue. No net for anybody else (a nightmare if something updates whilst someone else is gaming). I cannot stress enough how literally I mean nothing.

I phone them up and they start drilling through the usual routine (check cables, etc, basic Layer 1 stuff). I says no offence, but I've already done all this. I don't mean to be condescending but I work in IT. I can guarantee I have already checked every single point of a Layer 1 error short of de-sheathing the cables to check for breaks. After getting rather stuffy, the nice Indian man proceeds.
    What about my WiFi settings? I say irrelevant. Hardwired devices lose connectivity, too.
    Could there be any issues with the wires? No. This network is certified Cat6. I installed it myself. I've ran a cable tester and they're all good.

Basically this goes on and on. I'm arguing it's not my internal network as the only thing that has changed is the phone line and a few cables. The hardware is identical (literally the same router and modem) and no settings have been reconfigured. Guy tells me to go to the router settings and disable the firewall etc. Uh, no thanks? I like having intrusion detection on my network? (Also, again, nothing has changed.)
    I query if there has been an update to my router recently. I could understand altering settings if they've pushed an update down the line (they can remotely access my router to update or change settings) and he says no, they haven't done that. So again, I ask, if my settings have not changed, how could there be an issue with them?

Finally I manage to convince him to do a line test. He does. No fault, apparently. So I ask him to escalate to BT and have them check the exchange. It's possible I'm just wired in badly. It's entirely possible that's where the fault lies and it's nothing to do with EE. He says he's done that, I haven't heard back from them yet (this was around 2 weeks ago)

I says right, whilst I'm here, I need OpenReach to supply me with a new faceplate. He says sure, that'll cost me £60. Excuse me? Yep, £60 callout fee. He advises I go to a shop and buy my own faceplate for around £5. Whilst I appreciate that's a lot cheaper and completely within my ability, I should not have to incur any financial cost to repair an issue that has arisen from me being supplied faulty hardware.

Losing my patience, I decide I want to see a copy of my contract with EE. Yes, sir, certainly, sir. It will be emailed to you within 5 days. Did I get it? Did I heck. Right, sod this, I've had enough.

Phone the Retention department. Get an actual English guy this time. (I don't mean this in a racist way, but it shows their priorities when technical issues are outsourced but the retention department isn't...) and the guy takes one look at my account and says "Okay, I'm not going to much you around. I'm supposed to argue the toss but looking at this I can see why you want to leave. We'll get you your MAC code."

Hallelujah!

So. As of today I'm in possession of a shiny new MAC code and taking suggestions on who gets my money. (Just not Sky, or O2 since Sky now own it)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,648 Times in 2,049 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'd suggest looking at Andrews and Arnold. Quite expensive, but they're small and focused on the end user. You speak to actual engineers, and not script readers.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts
    Zen…… not always the cheapest but by far the best customer service and support imho

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    Zen…… not always the cheapest but by far the best customer service and support imho
    Zen is local-ish to me.. And we do have 7 of our Ingress guys work there...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,407 Times in 851 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    I'd suggest looking at Andrews and Arnold. Quite expensive, but they're small and focused on the end user. You speak to actual engineers, and not script readers.
    This page is kinda epic! Real internet connection
    The only problem is I think my bill would be £100's per month for fttc.
    Last edited by ZeroHour; 1st September 2014 at 04:24 PM.

6. Thanks to ZeroHour from:

gtg93 (2nd September 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,648 Times in 2,049 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHour View Post
    This page is kinda epic! Real internet connection
    The only problem is I think my bill would be £100's per month for fttc.
    How much data would you be using!?

The 100GB data for FTTC comes to £40pm. Or £60pm for 300GB, and then £10 extra per 50GB. So, £100 would be 500GB data per month!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,054 Times in 1,491 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I could blitz 500GB in a month with ease. Just downloading my steam and origin library would push it to nearly 1TB

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Garacesh View Post
    Zen is local-ish to me.. And we do have 7 of our Ingress guys work there...
    Can't recommend them enough, we recommend them to all our clients and they are faultless, whether it's ADSL, FTTC, EFM or Fibre.

We have one client moved 190 ADSL circuits over to them with a further 300 more in the pipeline, everything is done when they say it will be

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    I could blitz 500GB in a month with ease. Just downloading my steam and origin library would push it to nearly 1TB
    Yeah but you don't need to do that very often do you?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    no, but then there is also content to my cloud storage. I often buy films on DVD and put them on my network storage (Which I can connect too from anywhere). Captain America Winter Soldier takes up a little over 2GB alone, multiply this by nearly 1000 films (granted I don't do it often, but every time I buy a film I do it). Then when I want to watch them, I stream them from wherever I am, and it uses up data at home.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,123 Times in 1,025 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    no, but then there is also content to my cloud storage. I often buy films on DVD and put them on my network storage (Which I can connect too from anywhere). Captain America Winter Soldier takes up a little over 2GB alone, multiply this by nearly 1000 films (granted I don't do it often, but every time I buy a film I do it). Then when I want to watch them, I stream them from wherever I am, and it uses up data at home.
    Just curious - where and how are you buying and saving your movies onto a NAS or similar device ?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    buy DVDs as and when I like, generally from charity shops/ebay/whatever takes my fancy. IF it is a new release, then tesco as they usually stock them on the day and no rush to buy them.

I hook up my external DVD drive into the NAS, tell it to copy content.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,969 Times in 2,183 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    The only bad thing about Zen is that you can't get any IPv6 addresses from them, whereas you can with Andrews & Arnold.

Zen don't seem particularly forward thinking.

Thank Post

Thank Post
    Take it you're not in a (hush my mouth) Virgin area...I've always found it very robust - yes they cap your speed at peak times if you use it heavily - but tbh the capped speed is better than I can get through a BT line at full whack.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast