+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
General Chat Thread, EU ban on vacuum cleaners above 1,600W in General; Why are people moaning about this? Dyson has not complained about the ban itself, but about the method of rating ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,648 Times in 2,049 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Why are people moaning about this? Dyson has not complained about the ban itself, but about the method of rating how good vacs are. IE. The vacs are tested when empty only. Most vacuums lose suction strength as they fill up, which puts Dyson's vacs at a disadvantage (as they don't lose anywhere near as much suction as they fill).

My family switched to Dysons with their first model, and have never looked back. So why do people need domestic vacuum cleaners with giant motors, when Dysons don't need them?

As far as I'm aware, the EU are doing this to reduce energy consumption. They're also introducing a raft of other rules to reduce energy consumption too.

Those saying "have they got nothing better to be looking at" have missed just how big the EU govt is. There's over 35,000 people working in EU institutions, they can do more than a single thing at once!

2. 3 Thanks to localzuk:

mac_shinobi (23rd August 2014), mats (1st September 2014), zag (1st September 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 900 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Well this is it - no harm in taking aim at some of the most inefficient devices we have and forcing a change as we're just stuck in habit. Henry's are great vacuum's, and I love my Hoover (yes, a Hoover) 2100w which I've called Monica Lewinsky. They've been doing it for cars already, energy efficiency ratings for washing machines and fridges where devices with less than an A rating will have difficulty getting sold. Manufacturers are then forced to buck their ideas up.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    Manufacturers are then forced to buck their ideas up.
    Quite. 1KW is a lot of power to need to deal with some grit, hair and dust.

Of course, I mourn the day when OUR government outlawed V8 engines in domestic appliances - my carpets have never achieved quite the same pile since.

Thank Post
    I can see a business opportunity here!

I love my VAX Air Pet Upright Vacuum Cleaner U91-MA-P | VAX.co.uk its so good I cant vaccum the rugs as they get sucked up

Thank Post
    Imagine the uproar if they decide to apply this legislation to hairdriers!

Thank Post
    The front page of the Mail today is about panic buying before the ban comes into effect!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,302 Times in 1,063 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by truebluesteve View Post
    Imagine the uproar if they decide to apply this legislation to hairdriers!
    And lawnmowers!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,427 Times in 1,776 Posts
    I'm waiting for the clampdown on the candlepower of torches

Thank Post
    Whilst I disagree strongly with this (mostly on principle), I'd like to point out that most Vacuum cleaners are pretty pants where pet hair is concerned anyway - despite marketing to the contrary. The most efficient and best method I've ever encountered for removing Cat Fur/my hair/Rabbit Fur from carpet is an old fashioned rubber broom. I kid you not. Vacuum the room then go over it with a rubber broom. You'll be shocked.

@sparkeh I'm not sure which alternate dimension your Vax pet vacuum came from but mine is pretty useless. Not as useless as our Russell Hobbs upright, but still not great. It's not exactly like I have a Persian cat either - my Cat is short haired and he's pretty good at self grooming and I rarely manage to groom a handful from him when I take a brush to his coat. Our Buck Rabbit on the other hand.... I could stuff a cushion with his fur but thankfully he lives outside and our Doe and her Babies are the same as Enzo - I never get much off them during grooming.

I often think that we shouldn't rely on the Vacuum cleaner as ultimately it just 'sucks stuff up' if you really want to pull up all the crap on the carpet you need a stiff brush. Hooray for Hard floors and Rugs. Take them outside with an old tennis racquet and beat the ever-living-shag-pile out of them.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Totally agree with this ban. More power does not necessarily mean a better vacuum cleaner!

About time they started to introduce laws to reduce energy consumption so we are less reliant on dirty coal and Russian oil!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AMLightfoot View Post
    Whilst I disagree strongly with this (mostly on principle),
    Why? Manufacturers use power more as a marketing tool than any difference it makes to picking up dust, grit or hair. As you say, for hair in particular, it's more about brushing than suction. Surely, we need _in principle_ to legislate on energy issues if our children are to have any chance.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AMLightfoot View Post
    Whilst I disagree strongly with this (mostly on principle), I'd like to point out that most Vacuum cleaners are pretty pants where pet hair is concerned anyway - despite marketing to the contrary. The most efficient and best method I've ever encountered for removing Cat Fur/my hair/Rabbit Fur from carpet is an old fashioned rubber broom. I kid you not. Vacuum the room then go over it with a rubber broom. You'll be shocked.

@sparkeh I'm not sure which alternate dimension your Vax pet vacuum came from but mine is pretty useless. Not as useless as our Russell Hobbs upright, but still not great. It's not exactly like I have a Persian cat either - my Cat is short haired and he's pretty good at self grooming and I rarely manage to groom a handful from him when I take a brush to his coat. Our Buck Rabbit on the other hand.... I could stuff a cushion with his fur but thankfully he lives outside and our Doe and her Babies are the same as Enzo - I never get much off them during grooming.

I often think that we shouldn't rely on the Vacuum cleaner as ultimately it just 'sucks stuff up' if you really want to pull up all the crap on the carpet you need a stiff brush. Hooray for Hard floors and Rugs. Take them outside with an old tennis racquet and beat the ever-living-shag-pile out of them.
    Cats *Shudder* I don't like the things, I think they're the dirtiest pet you can have. This may be due to bad experiences and the fact I'm allergic but my dog for the past couple of weeks has suddenly somehow got fleas even though we use "Spot On" on him all of the time, we found a cat at the bottom of the garden the other day and I'm not kidding you fleas where jumping off this big fat ginger ball of fur people call pets. We can't find a way to stop this cat from coming into our garden and now have resulted to getting the hose pipe out, we don't even know who's cat it is.

Sorry bit of a rant about cats there but I really don't like them, maybe get a small dog like our Cocker Spaniel instead our Vax hoover sucks up all dog hair and it's a 750Watt hoover

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,427 Times in 1,776 Posts
    The EU is apparently reviewing many small devices, including hairdryers and kettles. In both cases, the higher wattage means that they are used for sjorter periods... I cannot se how a lower output device would help in either case.

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-29004060

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    The EU is apparently reviewing many small devices, including hairdryers and kettles. In both cases, the higher wattage means that they are used for sjorter periods... I cannot se how a lower output device would help in either case.

BBC News - High-powered hairdryers under threat as EU considers ban

Kettles to be limited to 150W.

As mitigation, the EU is proposing to lower the boiling point of water to 60'C.

16. 5 Thanks to jinnantonnixx:

CHR1S (2nd September 2014), elsiegee40 (1st September 2014), gshaw (1st September 2014), LosOjos (2nd September 2014), pcstru (1st September 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    BBC News - High-powered hairdryers under threat as EU considers ban
    It's not just about consumption. A lower power draw will help on the supply side - it is more efficient to ramp up supply for longer periods.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast