+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Anyone here been to Japan? in General; Hey Guys, Whenever I've been on holiday it's nearly always been to hot europian countries like Spain, Portugal etc.... I ...

Thank Post

Anyone here been to Japan?

Hey Guys,

Whenever I've been on holiday it's nearly always been to hot europian countries like Spain, Portugal etc.... I wanted to explore somewhere new next year with my girlfriend but it worries me because it's a bit out of my comfort zone and they are normally much more money to spend so I want to make sure we have a nice time.

I've done as much Googling about different countries as I can, I'd love to visit Japan but I'd also like to go to America and Australia, I'd be going just before the school summer holidays to make it a little cheaper where would you recommend looking into? I would prefer the place to be hot and sunny but I'd love to go to Japan but I've been told it rains a lot there is that the case?

Any experiences that you may have I'd love to hear about them just to see where you reckon would be best to go to!

Thankyou!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,054 Times in 1,491 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I've been a few times over the years. Japan has a unique climate, much like that of New Zealand I would say. It rains, but no more so than GB in the appropriate seasons. Also, Japan is expensive...very expensive. £100 won't last you long there. And they are immensely private. Talking on your phone in public is frowned upon, as are public displays of affection.

Best advice I can offer for food shopping: Go to local supermarkets, and go near to closing time (half hour before they close), you get seasonal and fresh produce at lowered prices as they are considered perishables and won't keep much stock for the next day. Look for restaurants where the locals eat, these will offer you the best food for the best price. There are a few places where you could eat in Tokyo for 500-1000 yen, they are considered cheap, and you can get filling meals for that price, there are places whichwhich will charge you easily double to triple that...but they offer a more substantial meal catering to western appetites. Tourist places you can expect to pay anywhere up to 5000Y for a meal which is a high price.

Etiquette and customs wise, Japanese people often get annoyed by misbehaving foreigners, especially those that block the flow of traffic in public spaces or those talking in an annoyingly loud voice in trains or public spaces. If you have a hearing aid, that's a different story as they respect hearing difficulties so accommodate it a bit. There are only some general rules in Japan - but others may disagree with them.

1) Put your phone on silent and don't talk on the phone on trains or public places.
    2) Speak quietly on the train or public places.
    3) Don't block the passage of other people, it is considered extremely rude and frustrating.
    4) Don't be overly loud all the time. Japanese people can be loud and annoying too - but most people try and be respectful of other people.

Most Japanese people will either leave you alone or will be happy to have you in the country. They know that you will make some faux pas and most of the time won't take any offence.

Do note that people outside of the main cities are quite different than in the country. People in the cities can be warm, but people out in the country are so much different than people people in the cities and much more inviting and welcoming. So to put it simple - try and also get off the beaten path into the countryside if possible and enjoy a true depiction of what the country has to offer.

3. Thanks to featured_spectre from:

abillybob (21st August 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    1) Put your phone on silent and don't talk on the phone on trains or public places.
    2) Speak quietly on the train or public places.
    3) Don't block the passage of other people, it is considered extremely rude and frustrating.
    4) Don't be overly loud all the time. Japanese people can be loud and annoying too - but most people try and be respectful of other people.
    why do those rules have to be restricted to Japan? They sound like a damm good idea for anywhere.

Thank Post
    @nephilim thank you just the kind of description I was looking for, I will have to see comes closer to the time if we have the money to be able to go, I don't want to be scrimping and saving while on holiday I just want to enjoy myself!
    Thankyou for the heads up about the type of rules the Japanese people live by, I'm fairly stunned that you can't show public affection but I'm sure I can live with those kind of things for a week or so !

Quote Originally Posted by danbuntu View Post
    why do those rules have to be restricted to Japan? They sound like a damm good idea for anywhere.
    Haha - True dat bruh! the only thing I don't agree with is the public affection (to an extent) it's never nice to walk past a couple groping and snogging on a public bench although the odd kiss and hug here and there never bothered me, and if I'm going with my Girlfriend which I will be it'll be a bit difficult not to hold her hand etc... in public!
    Last edited by abillybob; 21st August 2014 at 11:01 AM.

Thank Post
    Hi,

I've been to Japan three times its a fascinating place whatever the weather.
    Where and when to go kind of depends on how long you can go for.
    Tokyo is high energy all the time even, and sometimes especially at night, it can be pretty wearing though. To keep costs down don't stay too centrally, I've stayed in the Ikebukuro district on each occasion, it's very lively but affordable (not cheap still) and quite well connected. Based in Tokyo you can strike out to Kamakura and Nikko for an insight into old Japan.
    Kyoto is a beautiful city and full of culture, if I go again I'd spend longer here than Tokyo. Based here you can go on trips to Nara, Himeji castle or Osaka if you need more modern Japan.
    I'd also recommend Matsumoto, still in central Japan, it has a great castle and really nice town.
    If you have the time to travel, get a JR rail pass, they're good value for money and gets you on the shinkansen (bar a few), local trains in tokyo and even the airport express train. Travel south for a slower pace Hiroshima is nice and Kumamoto is a great destination and base for side trips such as Mount Aso an active volcano. North is good too and if you have time the far north is like another country.

For accomodation their youth hostels are really good or try a minshuku (guest house) as the cheaper options and you'll meet interesting people. Ryokans can be a bit scary but some are great fun with the right hosts.

Weather is tricky, Japan is a long country and has quite a variety. It's like the rest of the world though when the weather is supposed to be the best costs rise and places are in short supply. I've been in therainy season and got both beautiful days and complete washouts.

I could go on for ages so before this becomes an essay I'll stop there. I'm happy to answer any questions if I can.

Hope that helps.

7. Thanks to Rodan from:

abillybob (21st August 2014)

Thank Post
    +1 America (as you said you would like to go)
    Went for a month, rented a car for most of it and just drove around! So much to see and do.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,405 Times in 850 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    I've been a few times over the years. Japan has a unique climate, much like that of New Zealand I would say.
    When and how long were you out there for?
    I didnt think it was like New Zealand (not been there but have family) as it was seriously hot and humid when I was there. Crazy humid....

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,054 Times in 1,491 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I've been in 1997, 2004, 2005, 2007, and 2009 (last visit). I went for 2 weeks at a time, and went during Autumn and spring respectively, wasn't horrible weather, wasn't great either. New Zealands weather patterns for me (went in 2006 and 2008) were roughly the same, but I went at similar times of year.

*edit*

As a point of interest, almost all of my visits to Japan have been to either Kanazawa or Nagano (flying into Haneda or Narita and getting a train from there), and both my visits to New Zealand have been to Dunedin (flying from London > Hong Kong > Dunedin)
    Last edited by featured_spectre; 21st August 2014 at 12:38 PM.

Thank Post
    I got back from Japan on Sunday night, it was a quite enjoyable holiday, that being said though I crammed a lot into a small space of time.

If you are vegetarian you will struggle immensely, its just something they dont recognise or understand at all, most of my meals were salad and or tofu, dont get me wrong they were tasty but its quite limited.

In terms of money, I took 170,000 Yen, I bought home 60,000, I cant remember the GBP equivalent, however it was fairly expensive.

My favorite place for Hiroshima for the night life and Kyoto for the little shrines and temples, you can really go out of the way and lose a lot of the tourists.

That being said, I dont think I would go again, I feel ive seen what I wanted to and now I can tick it off the list.

12. Thanks to Olliesaurus from:

abillybob (22nd August 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Olliesaurus View Post
    I got back from Japan on Sunday night, it was a quite enjoyable holiday, that being said though I crammed a lot into a small space of time.

If you are vegetarian you will struggle immensely, its just something they dont recognise or understand at all, most of my meals were salad and or tofu, dont get me wrong they were tasty but its quite limited.

In terms of money, I took 170,000 Yen, I bought home 60,000, I cant remember the GBP equivalent, however it was fairly expensive.

My favorite place for Hiroshima for the night life and Kyoto for the little shrines and temples, you can really go out of the way and lose a lot of the tourists.

That being said, I dont think I would go again, I feel ive seen what I wanted to and now I can tick it off the list.
    Cheers buddy will keep it all in mind

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread