+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, BT FTTC in General; Could be worse.... You could live in KC land... 5mpbs.... HA! Lucky if we get .5meg at non-peak times....
    Thank Post
    Could be worse.... You could live in KC land... 5mpbs.... HA! Lucky if we get .5meg at non-peak times.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cpjitservices View Post
    Could be worse.... You could live in KC land... 5mpbs.... HA! Lucky if we get .5meg at non-peak times.
    I am surprised that "monopolistic setup" still exists for Hull(I know they offer some form of LLU now), friend of mine was stuck with them as an ISP years back and was tortured by them as his connection was terrible.

Above the clouds and under the core of the earth
    Thank Post
    Currently have FTTC, 80 up 20 down ping of 8 - 10.

I have to say, it's nothing special, for me anyway.

I'm waiting for BT to dish out FTTP to normal households. 300mb down, 50 - 100 up... THE DREAM is near.

Currently would cost me around £2500 - £3000 for the install, unsure of the monthly costs after though. I'm guessing around.... £50 - 80... who knows.

Dare i pay for the install? xD

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 978 Posts
    Coming Soon in my area , wonder what sort of speeds this will provide on BT Fibre ( Open Reach ) ??

Apparently within the next 6 months or so

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rich_tech View Post
    I am surprised that "monopolistic setup" still exists for Hull(I know they offer some form of LLU now), friend of mine was stuck with them as an ISP years back and was tortured by them as his connection was terrible.
    ONly got monopoly in tmers of residential... but as residential customers they are all we can have unless you go for a WISP... which are as equally terrible.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunnyknight View Post

I'm waiting for BT to dish out FTTP to normal households. 300mb down, 50 - 100 up... THE DREAM is near.

Currently would cost me around £2500 - £3000 for the install, unsure of the monthly costs after though. I'm guessing around.... £50 - 80... who knows.

I don't understand why people would want 300mbit connections...

What kinda things do you do with your connection?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fxlite View Post
    I don't understand why people would want 300mbit connections...

What kinda things do you do with your connection?
    Being able to use 3rd party off site backup solutions and not taking several months to complete one backup of 500gb of data, all well and good saying use an external hard drive or something else on site but in the rare instance there is a fire or flood / some other natural disaster then going to be difficult to recover data etc

Im talking more from a home user perspective than a company as I would like to use a backup solution that is off site ie google back blaze or similar but with having ADSL2+ I only get 1mbps upload which even with 250 gb of data said it would take 7 months to make a backup ( that is uploading all day / all night etc ) which is just silly

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    Being able to use 3rd party off site backup solutions and not taking several months to complete one backup of 500gb of data, all well and good saying use an external hard drive or something else on site but in the rare instance there is a fire or flood / some other natural disaster then going to be difficult to recover data etc

Im talking more from a home user perspective than a company as I would like to use a backup solution that is off site ie google back blaze or similar but with having ADSL2+ I only get 1mbps upload which even with 250 gb of data said it would take 7 months to make a backup ( that is uploading all day / all night etc ) which is just silly
    This.

And in short as im on my phone... game servers (25 man) for specific games. Id need about 40mb upload for about 3 servers... or 4... I dunno. The dl is for... movi.... vid.... streaming. Lol

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post

I'd back up to external HDD, put at my mums house for example. Screw paying a 3k install fee

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by visioN View Post
    I'd back up to external HDD, put at my mums house for example. Screw paying a 3k install fee
    You literally read my mind and put it in that post.

Or have two drives - each time you visit replace it with the new backup...sounds so silly but it'd be effective

And surely if you're serious about hosting you'd just rent some servers? I dunno.
    Last edited by fxlite; 20th August 2014 at 04:17 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fxlite View Post

And surely if you're serious about hosting you'd just rent some servers? I dunno.
    4 servers at £20 a month = £80 (approx).

Quite a bit of money, but compared to the stress of managing and setting up, it could be worth the extra £20 / £30... who knows....

But yeah, that's what i'd want the nice upload for.

Download... as stated. Never... ever... EVER.... for downloading movies... etc etc. Just streaming

Thank Post

Pretty certain FTTP is 330 down 30 up maximum with BT currently isn't it?

Even still, the rental on it is £150 per month through BT business. Couldn't possibly justify that as a home user!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bobt View Post
    Pretty certain FTTP is 330 down 30 up maximum with BT currently isn't it?

Even still, the rental on it is £150 per month through BT business. Couldn't possibly justify that as a home user!
    Yeah, for now. Can see it increase with virgin being top dog at the mo in terms of dl / ul.

150 a month.... not happening. Max 60 for line rental. MAX.

Thank Post
    Yeah, for now. Can see it increase with virgin being top dog at the mo in terms of dl / ul.

150 a month.... not happening. Max 60 for line rental. MAX.
    I would debate that as VM when I was with them for well over a year would constantly do

1) Traffic Shaping
    2) Throttle my speed a lot even just after downloading one Linux DVD ISO which was about 9gb and would take a while to go back to the normal connection speed
    3) Had other issues with VM , mostly regards to video streaming which was forever buffering and went through lots to try and resolve it and in the end just got told something to the effect of "That's just the way it is...." which wasn't a good enough answer considering I was paying a lot per month to them for broadband / tv and phone ( on the XXL Package unlimited )
    4) There Super Hub turned out to be an extremely shoddy hub to the point I had to put it into modem only mode and they were insistent on the issue being my router even after only having there super hub in normal mode and my router not even connected and it still did exactly the same ( regardless of them sending me replacement hub after replacement hub )

Oh and the wireless on those super hubs when I had them - total Joke !!

Needless to say have and did leave them quick sharp !!
    Last edited by mac_shinobi; 20th August 2014 at 05:01 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12