+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, House rewire - run cat6 in General; Just bought a house and currently gutting it and having it rewired. Im in the middle of chasing out the ...
    Thank Post

House rewire - run cat6

Just bought a house and currently gutting it and having it rewired. Im in the middle of chasing out the walls for the electric cable to be installed. I was wondering if it might be wise to stick cat6 in the house which would run back to where the phone socket is as this is where the router would be stored.

What are peoples opinions on this seeing as we live in a wireless age now and power line adapters are available?

Thank Post

House rewire - run cat6

Wire. I've done one link in my house, but the rest is power lines. They don't perform nearly as well.

Plan to end up with wireless and wired in as many places as possible. We're geeks after all.

3. Thanks to IrritableTech from:

timbo343 (18th August 2014)

Thank Post
    Definitely wire, although Cat5e would be cheaper and easier to run/terminate. Unless you have something unusual going on in your house, it should suffice.

5. Thanks to DPrince from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,376 Times in 1,746 Posts
    We use powerline adapters without a problem, but given the opportunity, I would run Cat6 round the house!

Thank Post
    How many points in each room? Its a 3 bed semi with a lounge diner which will be turned into a kitchen diner later.
    Would you run all points back to the hall where the phone point is and have a custom made cupboard with router etc in?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,376 Times in 1,746 Posts
    It would vary from room to room... and very much depend on the layout. Belt and braces would be one socket next to every mains socket. Simple would be one in each room, enabling you to use a small switch if multiple sockets were needed.

From my own home, a socket in each bedroom, two in the study and one next to the television in the living room would be enough. You need to look at your own home and decide

9. Thanks to elsiegee40 from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,707 Times in 1,520 Posts
    Bt home hub downstairs, meraki wap upstairs and ddwrt router as a client in the man cave gives me internets through whole house.

Ben

11. Thanks to plexer from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,037 Times in 1,482 Posts
    Blog Entries
    My house has 4 in the bedroom (xbox, sky, raspi, and pc). Front room has 6 (xbox, sky, TV, raspi, router, Wifi router).
    Small room has 4 (not in use yet, but when mrs and I switch rooms with the kids it will be used.) The attic houses the small comms cab with the switch and patch panels.

13. Thanks to nephilim from:

Thank Post
    I've run one to every room, only cat 5 but more than enough. If I had planned it better before I plastered I would have run more but there is always next time.

15. Thanks to MatthewL from:

Thank Post
    Also as +1 for Cat5. Have it installed in the office room at home and I wouldn't go back.

17. Thanks to SteveM555 from:

XiJ

Thank Post
    Did the same in our old house every time we decorated a room. Plan to run some in this new build

In old house chased out walls and put in a double socket per room where possible. As easy to run two cables as one.
    If I were doing it that way now I would try and position them all in a straight line - so whatever is on a downstairs room could in theory go straight upstairs in the same location. Ran mine back to a central cupboard upstairs. In the new build house there will be a switch / patch panel on the loft.

19. Thanks to XiJ from:

Thank Post
    I haven't done it myself yet but I have friends who are contractors and regularly buy and rebuild. They run cat6 to every room now as a matter of course, which is refreshing. They tend to put it next to an aerial point / coax point if there is one and if not, wherever seems most sensible but usually near a power point to cut down on the work.
    They always terminate back to a patch panel somewhere quiet such as a closet or the cupboard under the stairs. They tend to put the (or atleast a secondary) phone point in there too and plenty of power.
    The last one that they did was a beauty, they had the brief on rebuild right up to furnishing. It ended up with 3 sky boxes in the same cupboard with the eye jobby in each room so that they could be controlled from wherever the TV was. I've never seen it before and I'm not sure how it was done, but it was some sort of multiroom setup whereby the sky boxes are acting in tandem as a big bank of tuners, so essentially each of the two living rooms, the kitchen, and up to 3 of the 5 bedrooms could all be using a different tuner to get a channel, and some of them when not in use could be recording. That bits fairly straight forward, the bit I didn't quite get is that you could pull any recording to any room, and there didn't seem to be any external storage for recording, so it must be pulling from a specific box.
    However they did it, it was genius, anyway, and the owner is now using cat6 in the office with a little switch, but has also put a couple of access points in too so that he has good coverage all over the house - which he's used the cat6 points for in those rooms.

21. Thanks to michael2k6 from:

Thank Post
    To those who havent stated where the cables run back to, are you able to state please just so i can see what the general location for the termination points are.

Some of you have stated that they run back to a cupboard upstairs or into the attic which does make sense.

Where i am renting now i have the main router in the hall and powerlined another router which my wireless devices connect to on the landing.

Thank Post
    I put cat5e in to each room too, here's the location (forgive the mess and the dust, I'm currently decorating that room)
    House rewire - run cat6-img_20140818_065251.jpg

24. Thanks to caffrey from:

XiJ

Thank Post
    My router would not be in the 'cabinet' of course as it had to go near a phone point. Luckily the one directly above the main phone point was in my bedroom where the computer was - so cat5 available to the rest of my network.

If you're chasing the walls but in some trunking as containment. And it gets VERY dusty!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast