+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, House rewire - run cat6 in General; I use powerline adapters too here in our home, their "ok" but the speeds are not brilliant (though I did ...
    Thank Post
    I use powerline adapters too here in our home, their "ok" but the speeds are not brilliant (though I did buy a cheaper pair of tp-link ones)

I would run Cat6 if I bought a home, ideally back to a patch panel in a stair cupboard, so the noise is quiet.

Thank Post
    Bear in mind that if you're chasing the walls that you cannot run the network and the mains in the same enclosure. If you run the mains in the channel that you've chased in you MUST put the network in trunking or vice versa (This is a requirement of the wiring regs and has nothing to do with interference).

Thank Post
    First thing I did when I met my landlord (besides saying hello and offering a brew) was ask about wiring the house up. He was happy with it, so now I have certified Cat6 run to the 3 bedrooms. It's great when your mother's husband also works IT. He's always got lots of material I can 'borrow' xD

It's definitely worth wiring if you do anything that really gets hampered by latency or jitter. As all three of us are pretty big gamers, wireless just wasn't an issue (that and there's 3 floors, so the wireless wouldn't be so strong on the top floor)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 922 Posts
    Agree with the do it phase, I've done a couple of houses, cat6 into a SOHO rack in the garage or loft or under-stairs, got the BT master socket to that location as well so its all in one handy spot and do everything over the cat6. Had 4 by the main TV in the front room (HDMI extenders are usually over a pair of cables) and then 2 elsewhere in that room and then doubles in the bedrooms is the usual spot. Kitchen was a bit different we put 2 behind the bracket for the TV so we could do HDMI to it from a Bluray elsewhere to keep the kitchen clutter free and then one above the kitchen cupboards for a WiFi AP if required as the kitchen was the center of the house.

Thank Post
    Cat5e/Cat6 is so versatile for other uses too, if I was wiring a house up fresh I'd definitely put multiple sockets in each room. I'd run it all to a cupboard or cabinet in the roof space.

Thank Post
    I'd recommend putting cat 5 in too, but don't just put a single cable to each point, even if you want a single patch point in each room, run an additional cable at the same time, even if you leave it curled up in the backbox. Then if you have a cable fault at any point, you always have a spare. The cost to run 2 cables rather than 1 is minute, but trying to rerun a dead cable later will be a nightmare.

meldrew

Thank Post
    ++ on Cat5e. Cat6a isn't worth it on the grounds of cost and extra faff for it to pass certification. Not to mention the spline-related cuticle injuries.

Mine's a mix of Cat5e where it was easy to do (upstairs, lounge) and powerline/WiFi where it was a faff or would be unsightly (backbone switch > router). The patch panel is in what used to be the airing cupboard before I replaced the boiler.

and definitely add extra cables - minimum of 2 drops per location and for things like where you might put the TV (if you rearrange the lounge) a minimum of 4 drops.

and pull cords in the conduit.
    Last edited by pete; 18th August 2014 at 12:00 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    Cat6a isn't worth it on the grounds of cost and extra faff for it to pass certification. Not to mention the spline-related cuticle injuries..
    I'm using external-grade Cat6 and I can't say I got any injuries* - how on earth did you end up hurting yourself? lol

* Aside from stabbing myself multiple times with a cable terminator, but that's because I'm rubbish at that bit.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Garacesh View Post
    I'm using external-grade Cat6 and I can't say I got any injuries* - how on earth did you end up hurting yourself? lol

* Aside from stabbing myself multiple times with a cable terminator, but that's because I'm rubbish at that bit.
    We had some 6a with an internal "+" spline and however carefully you trimmed it, the edge of the spline was always razor sharp. Any part of your hand not protected by a callus was subject to puncture wounds from the corners.

Thank Post
    House rewire - run cat6-homelan.jpg House rewire - run cat6-photo.png

I have 16 points, cabled back to my office, plus whatever devices are in there plugs straight in.

It sounds like overkill, but when you start counting the devices in a typical IT nerd's house they soon add up.

Living room - 8 points (TV, Onkyo AMP, Sky box, Mac Mini for XBMC, Router (Main phone point is down there), PS3 plus a couple spare.
    Spare bedrooms have 2 in each (Not terminated yet as we don't use the 2 spare bedrooms). Ours has 3 (TV, Sky box and WD HDTV Live)
    Office - 2 NAS drives (one has 2 NICs), Desktop.

The pic is a little old, so some cables aren't in there.

Whatever you think you need in there, double it. It's so much easier to do it all now then at a later date.

If you don't have a dedicated cupboard for your switch, make sure you buy a fan-less one. They're completely silent.

I was tempted by Cat6, but opted for Cat5e in the end. I can't see me needing more than GB throughput, plus it was way cheaper and easier to run/terminate. You'd need a pretty decent switch and router to get the full benefits of Cat6, which would be further expense. 1080p 3D HD movies with full DTS MA audio only needing way less than 100mb LAN bandwidth to run faultlessly, and that's the most intensive stuff I'll be doing. With that in mind, Cat5e at 1gb was a no brainer.

I know mine is a little ridiculous, but to be honest it was just a really nice project for a true IT geek. I really enjoy having it, and use it way more than I thought I would.

My mate is an electrician who put loads of new electric points throughout the house too.

Shame about the shoddy ADSL2 broadband!

Good luck. I'm almost jealous that it's not me doing it again.
    Last edited by Gardinho; 18th August 2014 at 01:24 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by timbo343 View Post
    What are peoples opinions on this seeing as we live in a wireless age now and power line adapters are available?
    I use all three. I put 10 Cat5e points into my Cave and Cat5e runs back to the house. I also had a powerline WiFi plug in there which seemed to work well and gave a better signal to most of the garden than the router in the house. However, I think our neighbour started using powerline and it degraded that link to the point where connectivity was problematic (it is quite a long run with two consumer units in between), so I've ditched that and switched in a TP-Link router flashed with the DD-WRT firmware which sits on the Cat5e. Round the house, I'm using powerline and wifi. I found the powerline OK even for gaming when I had my office in the house but no cable to the router. I haven't bothered with Cat5e in the house and I don't think I will bother as we do more rooms. Plugs I will bother with - some of our rooms just have a single 13amp socket (probably with the original horse hair wiring to boot).

XiJ

Thank Post
    I went got cat6 over cat5 as the general idea was that we could stay in the house for life. Thought it might be a little more 'future proof'

Hoping I might be able to use the coax aerial feed that terminates in the loft to pull up some cat 6. But if not I can external for that bit and rest should be internal.

We have built in Virgin cable for the living room, kitchen and main bedroom - so if we went multi room it'd probably be with virgin.

Thank Post
    Yeah wish I could go the cat5/6 way. Ive got 4 homeplugs in the house to provide connectivity to CCTV, Server, PC's etc but they are pretty slow - even the 500MB ones are a bit naff.

Thank Post
    I put 2 x Cat 6 into all rooms bar my office (x8) and then had a small 6u cab in the Utility Room. An old 3com 2829 switch, NAS and all works well. Plus I have the SKy/Virig lines run in to the Cab so when I switch its easy (I also have all sat cales running in to it)

If you are rewiring and running cables go the whole hog! All my cable was free from my usual cabling contractor. All ends of Reels that they don't really use, worth an ask?

Thank Post
    I ran cables before I decorated when I moved in, all terminating in the study.
    1 each to the kitchen and bedroom, and a pair to the living room next to the master socket.

For a time (before FTTC) I even had the router in the study and crimped a cable to run the phone line over the cat5 up there - didn't affect the speeds at all.

Now I use the living room router for incoming Internets, WiFi, Media PC and X-Box, and a switch in the Study for the Gaming PC and Server.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast