+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, World of Warcrack in General; I've played in Vanilla, but not from day one. Main always been Mage. But I've nearly always been a PVPer. ...

Thank Post
    I've played in Vanilla, but not from day one. Main always been Mage. But I've nearly always been a PVPer. Done a few big raids back in BC but mainly did BGs. Did some arena when they first came out and did ok but prefer the casual BGs and premade BGs. Not played since WOLK.

Thank Post
    I agree with the sentiment with a few of the other opinions here with it fizzling out after WOTLK (certainly did for me but was for my own reasons I stopped. Played since day 1 - guild died, burnt myself out raiding heroic raids for a long time etc).

That said from what i've played of Mists of Pandaria lately (on and off for a few months) I have really enjoyed it, it's been good fun to get my Fury Warrior out for a last hurrah almost. There is still a lot of enjoyment there to be had if your in the mood for it.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I actually think the game world has grown too large for the game itself. It's great having masses of content and there is far more available then you will ever get through. But now characters level too fast through early content to sit back and enjoy it. As you progress you go from fantastic new content to old dull content in Draenor. Then it picks up but pivotal moments like the Lich King (where his defeat is the ultimate pinnacle of the whole game) are hidden in raids you won't complete until too late to breeze through. Anything after the Lich King feels like an eternal filler episode! As for the journey, it can be fun but ultimately feels like you are in a huge but empty world as you join small instances of faceless people. It lacks the community needed to form the massive multiplayer part of MMORPG.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CAM View Post
    I actually think the game world has grown too large for the game itself. It's great having masses of content and there is far more available then you will ever get through. But now characters level too fast through early content to sit back and enjoy it. As you progress you go from fantastic new content to old dull content in Draenor. Then it picks up but pivotal moments like the Lich King (where his defeat is the ultimate pinnacle of the whole game) are hidden in raids you won't complete until too late to breeze through. Anything after the Lich King feels like an eternal filler episode! As for the journey, it can be fun but ultimately feels like you are in a huge but empty world as you join small instances of faceless people. It lacks the community needed to form the massive multiplayer part of MMORPG.
    It's a good point. I guess ultimately you are talking about a 10 year old game in November with 4/5 expansions and however many smaller content patches under it's belt so it definitely is difficult to keep everything relevant. By this expansion they have killed off just about most heroes/anti heroes that could be conceived as villains (sometimes twice) and now are resurrecting them to kill off again (even if it is a new Universe/Time skewed off in a weird tangent because Garrosh somehow has escaped his trial and got himself a delorian to save his Dad). I loved Warcraft 3 and it's a shame a sequel to that seems in the same realms of possibility of getting a 3rd Half Life.

For all it's problems and niggles I could pick holes in, it's a great game and still has the biggest player base despite steady declines (which i suspect Warlords won't stop entirely). I'd probably have carried on had i still been a part of a decent community, like you say - community does make these games what they are.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jowley View Post
    community does make these games what they are.
    You're damn right.
    I've tried WoW in the past, before Lich King and honestly it wasn't quite my thing, but I stuck around perhaps longer than I would've normally because I managed to smoose my way into a guild that were awesome people. Even after I quit (mostly because money) I stayed on TeamSpeak with them for quite some time until eventually everybody ended up going their separate ways.

It's one of the main reasons I also stuck with Aion for so long. Endgame PVP in any MMO is boring as sin without a fun community to back you up and laugh at failed raids. Levelling the newbies and getting them some decent gear isn't bad and I didn't mind doing it, but of course not all the time.

I do wonder.. If I enjoy WildStar will I find a decent community there, or drop out due to being on my own and bored?

I certainly wouldn't go back to WoW now though, not if you paid me. I wasn't keen on it the first time round and now so much endgame has been made obsolete in favour of power creep gear with each expansion (so I hear, anyway) and it's apparently way too much of a grind these days.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CAM View Post
    Oh god....

5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 [1 sec intervals]

Guess which key Flash of Light was bound to.
    The 2 button was worn out on my old HP keyboard here, especially loved when they made it a 100% mana refund on crits with illumination for the mana you could get back on heals pre-tbc, pretty much meant that me and the 2 guild spriests could indefinitely heal the tank for the guild I was in, as mana never dropped at all on my pala

The social aspect I think is what got me into it in a more major way than I thought I could enjoy a game, before this for me it was a lot of online FPS a la CS which I played from the first beta on a LAN. It can be very detrimental and engrossing too and its something I have had concerns with in the past, which is why I do not actively raid anymore, only LFR for me and I would rather pull out my own teeth than run a guild ever again, having run two moderately successful/casual raiding guilds within wow so far.

I agree with a lot of the sentiments here in the thread, WOTLK was excellent, as was BC, Cataclysm was a big failure for me and the same is my opinion for Pandaria overall.

I would even go so far as to say that Pandaria was blizzards "Windows 8" expansion I thought, everyone in the guild I was in at the time was remarkably lukewarm to the idea from the announcement and at times quite hostile regarding the expansion, something that was definitely not the case for LK and BC. Its not all 100% bad, they do introduce nice and impressive things nowadays, but I am tired of every patch altering characters abilities and making me have to consider switching mains. DPS has become a nightmare on some characters too, having to juggle and keep up far too many buffs and dots to the point where it is not enjoyable, so blizzards "increased complexity" was a fail for me.

Neither of the last two expansions have been "impressive" to play through in the way in which LK and BC were, the sense of awe and achievement just wasn't there for downing Deathwing/Garrosh as it was for LK/BC bosses and the atmosphere for those two expansions was a lot more of a grab for your interest.

I agree that the world has indeed become too big and cumbersome because of it, and levelling needs some serious streamlining, rather than giving you a £40 instading option, as you rightly said, professions need some serious looking at regarding levelling, because below the max level for the expansion these days they are largely irrelevant and a huge "grind/timesink" to get levelled, I know I never want to level fising from scratch on a char again thats for certain

Their recycling bosses and content nowadays at a fairly alarming rate I think too, even when they "heroic" up things like DM/Shadowfang, its lazy and unimpressive stuff for me.

Thank Post
    @Garacesh I didn't resub to Wildstar after the first month, playing on my own got a bit boring. I didn't try to find a guild or anything though, so probably my own fault :P

I'm still playing WoW for at least a few hours every day, pretty much the only thing I am playing at the minute.
    We run as a 5 man group on WoW, so there's always something going on (ran ICC transmog last night actually), even though the guild died back in Jan when the leader moved to Oz.

I think it's because it was the first MMO I played and the fact that I found most of my regular gaming group on there, but I always find myself coming back to it, only just started current content in Raid Finder (Filthy Casual :P ) and just finished Loremaster.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I tried Wildstar and found myself lonely and bored on that too! Can't play it now though, their anti-cheat picks up WINE as a hack.

Any idea if WoW still works on Linux?

Thank Post
    I ran wow on ubuntu a while back (about 6 months ago) with no issues regarding WINE and that, though I used the "PlayOnLinux" app to configure it all nicely, the only issue I had was because of the fact I seem to regularly alt-tab, that seemed to cause havoc with wow for me and kill my ability to cast spells, constantly having to relog meant that I just stuck myself on Windows for WoW, as I found it impossible to change my behaviour and reprogram myself

Thank Post
    I actually thought BC was more fun than wrath...rose tinted glasses, probably...but as many have said, after wrath it's been so-so.

Thank Post
    Anyone else have a bank vault full of tier 0.5, 1 and 2 gear?

World of Warcrack-tier1.jpg

Thank Post
    I lost interest when I could solo and farm MC.

MC was the first dungeon that my guild raided as a group, back when only one or two guilds had taken down Rag.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Trapper View Post

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tier1.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	61.7 KB 
ID:	26143
    My priest, paladin and warriors bags are bursting at the seems with old gear, priest has all sets as it was a main of mine for a long time in TBC and LK and everything was farmed then with ease. Benediction quest was fun as was the hunter epic bow quest.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Trapper View Post

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tier1.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	61.7 KB 
ID:	26143
    Same deal for me, my Shaman and warrior are just inundated with crap that i thought i might have needed but 8+ years later it's not quite the case :P

Quite a few memories came back to me looking through mine though like the Hydroxian water bottle thing that you needed to put out the runes in MC, the Unstoppable Force mace from AV. Seems like I also had a thing for collecting Shoulder Pads for my orc - thank god for transmog these days otherwise i'd have felt a bit sillier.

Thank Post
    My Rogue, Pally and Mage have banks and void storage all full of gear.. transmog runs daily'll do that to ya!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12