+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
General Chat Thread, Done a freelance job, what should I look at charging? in General; ...
    Thank Post
    I think the difficulty in doing jobs for people at home is that they've typically only spent £200-300 buying a laptop/PC so if you were to carry out any work on it for 'proper business/consultancy' rates of say £50 an hour then you're immediately in a position where even for a couple of hours work, and any parts, it's typically more cost effective for them to simply go out and buy a new laptop!

I pretty much avoid carrying 'homers' these days for that reason and I've yet to find anyone willing to actually pay me a fair rate for the time I spend! Especially when carrying out a job for someone comes with the implicit assumption that you'll offer them free 24/7 IT support forever more
    Last edited by flyinghaggis; 15th August 2014 at 02:25 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,111 Times in 850 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Whilst one can fully understand the implications of undervaluing yourself, I personally find there's more to life than money, money, money. Wanting to help someone, using your gift for the better, being a better person. It's for this very reason that I didn't go into business myself.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    Whilst one can fully understand the implications of undervaluing yourself, I personally find there's more to life than money, money, money. Wanting to help someone, using your gift for the better, being a better person. It's for this very reason that I didn't go into business myself.
    I also value my free time however very much so. I am actually one of the most helpful people you'll ever meet, but it reached the point about 4 or 5 years ago where I was finishing work and then spending another 4 or 5 hours almost every evening helping someone with their PC troubles, or rebuilding someones laptop or PC, or talking to people about what tablet/laptop/mobile phone/PC/router/broadband they should get, and I was getting little to no reward for this so enough was enough. I will help anyone with anything else, but not IT related issues any more unless they want to pay me, I'm much happier for it.

Thank Post
    The place I work my day job charges $130. While on the high side (for a reason), most places charge $75-100 USD per hour.

Convert that to your currency, a pick a number between the 2. That is how much you should charge and stick to it going forward (you may not get it this time, but in the future you can be upfront about it).

Edit: £50 an hour seems perfect.

Edit2: Does your car repair shop charge you less because your car is only worth x? No. So even if their PC is worth less, the time you spend is still worth the same.

If someone engages your time, they need to pay. Doesn't matter how big or little the job is, your time is valuable to you.

Its time to stop working for peanuts because it feels right. Your plumber charges you based on the time he spend, not the cost of one rusted pipe, but rather the time it took him 3 hours to find.
    Last edited by MordyT; 15th August 2014 at 03:00 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MordyT View Post
    Edit2: Does your car repair shop charge you less because your car is only worth x? No. So even if their PC is worth less, the time you spend is still worth the same.
    To be honest, if my car was worth £500 and in order to repair it the mechanic would have to rebuild the engine at a cost of £1500, I'd hope that he'd ring me before he carried out any of the work. I certainly wouldn't just leave it open ended and then pay a whopping bill that I wasn't expecting.

Agreeing a price up front is by far the best way to deal with it IMO.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by maniac View Post
    I also value my free time however very much so. I am actually one of the most helpful people you'll ever meet, but it reached the point about 4 or 5 years ago where I was finishing work and then spending another 4 or 5 hours almost every evening helping someone with their PC troubles, or rebuilding someones laptop or PC, or talking to people about what tablet/laptop/mobile phone/PC/router/broadband they should get, and I was getting little to no reward for this so enough was enough. I will help anyone with anything else, but not IT related issues any more unless they want to pay me, I'm much happier for it.
    ^^

This.

This.

A thousand times, this.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gardinho View Post
    To be honest, if my car was worth £500 and in order to repair it the mechanic would have to rebuild the engine at a cost of £1500, I'd hope that he'd ring me before he carried out any of the work. I certainly wouldn't just leave it open ended and then pay a whopping bill that I wasn't expecting.

Agreeing a price up front is by far the best way to deal with it IMO.
    You always have to be upfront with the price and learn their expectations. And inform them if something changes (more hours needed for example) before you do the work.

Thank Post
    Have you heard the old man with hammer story?

http://www.islamcan.com/islamic-stor...l#.U-5Fjtm9LCQ

9. Thanks to Jasbo from:

plexer (15th August 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasbo View Post
    Have you heard the old man with hammer story?

http://www.islamcan.com/islamic-stor...l#.U-5Fjtm9LCQ
    Yes. Moral of the story? You can charge Muslims more for IT work.

They have a point though - it's the knowledge and skills you're charging for, more than your time.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rickjames View Post
    Overall it took me ten hours over two days as a few snags happened along the way, as they do. What should I look at charging for this sort of job?
    Compressed air for cleaning gunk from heatsink: £0.20. Knowing how/why to clean gunk from heatsink (and set up RAID array, install Windows, Office and Adobe creative cloud): £299.80 (at least). £30 an hour is entirely reasonable here, the customer in question here probably charges £50 - £150 an hour for their services.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,111 Times in 850 Posts
    Blog Entries
    And then you have another quandary. Why would you be wondering what to charge *after* the job is done. As we're so fond of not selling ourselves short, and behaving like every other profession, you wouldn't take your car into the garage to find out about the cost only when the work's done. You wouldn't have your central heating powerflushed and repressurised without knowing the cost....

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,693 Times in 1,507 Posts
    This thread has been closed as I think everyone has had their say and it's just going around in circles.

Ben

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345