+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, First flat. Excited but scary times. in General; ...

Thank Post

First flat. Excited but scary times.

Get the keys to my new flat on Friday. Moving out of the parents house.

Cant wait. Able to do what I want like sitting in the living room to watch decent TV, get a dishwasher (my dream since I started having to washup), park in a proper space and not on the street.

But OMG its scary times. Have done all the budgets and there's £150 to play with each month, im used to £250 rent and a few other bits leaving £500/£600 to buy rubbish. This is causing issues now though as all the rubbish I've brought has to fit somewhere.

That's the biggest worry is where all the stuff is going to go.
    Have 4 huge boxes for just loose tools and then have another big mechanics toolbox, Massive computer (bigger than my servers at work) and large Samsung monit, a laptop, playstation, tv, 83" projector screen and projector (no idea where these will go), and a lot more.

Sony and Tannoy Separate home cinema system that's in two huge boxes. Think this will have to be sold.

Gaming racing wheel, pedals and chair. This takes up so much room.

The flats going to look like Mr Trebus's house if not careful.
    Last edited by dany2010; 13th August 2014 at 12:20 PM.

Thank Post
    You need a shed. Every man should have a shed. Perhaps you can rent a lockup? Luckily, the house where I live came with a garage, which is my gym come shed. The car stays outside. Like my Dad's car, if it didn't rain, it wouldn't get washed.

Thank Post
    I really hope you have budgeted for food. £150 doesn't get you a lot these days!

But good on you for moving out. It is a great sense of freedom having your own place, but it can be expensive. Good Luck!

Thank Post
    Congrats sounds good! Are you moving in with someone else or are you taking this up all on your own?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    After Rent, Food, bills etc I think my wife and I are left with about £75 per month with which to entertain our son. It's tricky, but it's remarkable how much fun you can have for next to nothing

Thank Post
    Cheers all,

Moving in on my own. Luckily ive had two £5k pay rises in 2 years so that covers the mortgage, still a 89K mortgage Is a struggle and on the top of what I can get. Two years ago I was at a basic tech job, now a manager. Still cant believe how quickly it happened. Didn't ask for the first one, got given it because the boss said I was doing to much for a tech, then applied for the manager position.

Quote Originally Posted by arwen View Post
    I really hope you have budgeted for food. £150 doesn't get you a lot these days!
    Yeah, in the budget is everything inc car stuff, food, fast food for when I get bored, nights out etc. Although currently food is only costing £105 for everything which the estate agent couldn't believe but i showed him the receipts.

£150 is there just incase something goes wrong or I see something nice to buy.

How much would you guys say is a good amount to save for emergencies? Im thinking £2-3k.
    All building work is covered by the leaseholder (for £44 a year which is a bonus!). Theres no fancy boiler just a tank. Electric heaters. I cant think of anything bigger than a washing or something that can go wrong with the flat itself.

Yeah, don't need money to have fun Dave. Money helps but there's plenty of stuff to do.
    Favourite thing is fishing for mackerel. As long as you don't loose your gear its like a £1 every couple of times for the feathers. Even if you loose your weight its only a couple of £.

Also currently into bell ringing lol. Costs nothing and its a good evening chatting.
    Last edited by dany2010; 13th August 2014 at 02:13 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Gotta love fishing. There was never much in the way of Mackerel fishing in Scarborough, but we got great results fishing for Sea Bass and whiting (time of year depending). There's nothing like getting up at 6am on a weekend to go digging for lugworm!

Anyhow, sounds like you've got everything planned pretty well

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,037 Times in 1,482 Posts
    Blog Entries
    For emergencies, we put away £400 a month until it hits £4000, but that is only because we can. Once that is achieved, the rest goes into a fund for a deposit on a new house. If we take money out of the emergency funds for any reason, we put it top it back up until it is back at £4000.

This £4000 will be used for anything from a new car, new boiler, servicing of boiler, new washing machine etc etc.

9. Thanks to nephilim from:

SiliconAlley_Sam (13th August 2014)

Thank Post
    We (myself and fiance) sign for a house tomorrow. The one she is in now with her daughter is nasty (black mold etc), so been wanting her to move for ages.
    I will move in October (wedding). I'm still with parents atm, but feeling of having own place is brilliant.

Fortunately my fiance has already got almost everything we need, so just got a few bits to get (new wardrobe and bed for step-daughter etc)

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Dany, you moving into a proper flat or a studio?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeyez View Post
    We (myself and fiance) sign for a house tomorrow. The one she is in now with her daughter is nasty (black mold etc), so been wanting her to move for ages.
    I will move in October (wedding). I'm still with parents atm, but feeling of having own place is brilliant.

Fortunately my fiance has already got almost everything we need, so just got a few bits to get (new wardrobe and bed for step-daughter etc)

Congrats. Sounds like everything is going well. Good luck with it all, such a long processes isn't it.

Proper flat. Had a look at a studio and decided against it. Think once you get past a certain age (student days) a studio flat would be a nightmare.

Thank Post
    Congratulations!

Still got to wait until Spring to move into ours, love driving by and watching them go up though.

Thank Post
    waiting to be moved here by our landlord (am a tenant with a housing association, which are decent and I am loathed to leave for private, which is pretty much double to triple what were paying now in rent) there is a major issue with rising damp in the house were in now and its also a small 2 bed house with no garden, thats pretty much full to bursting since our Son was born and we have no room really.

At the moment were sorting out all our finances with a view to start saving for a deposit(nothing major just a small credit card to pay off and need to get more disciplined with money really), but that's a fairly slow process righting everything.

Thank Post
    My new house should be ready mid september. After far too many years of renting finally getting on the property ladder.

Ironically my Mortgage is cheaper than my rent was, and my council tax should be less as its only a 1 bedroom. Happy days!

Make sure you have left enough slack in your budget to cope with a 1-2% interest rise on your morgage. It's coming at some point.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AButters View Post
    Ironically my Mortgage is cheaper than my rent was, and my council tax should be less as its only a 1 bedroom. Happy days!
    I was finding the same thing when looking. Rent and mortgage are pretty much identical and you've still got all the bills to pay, a lot of the time rent was more than a motgage.

Its just saving up for the deposit that's hard.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast