General Chat Thread, Android - Tasker in General; I've only just found this tool (Tasker) and already started a couple of projects (see below). I have my phone ...
11th August 2014, 01:52 PM #1
- Rep Power
Android - Tasker
I've only just found this tool (Tasker) and already started a couple of projects (see below). I have my phone rooted but this app doesn't require a rooted phone.
Does anyone else use it or tinkered with it? What projects or setups have you done?
So far I've done:
- Work and Home profiles
- Intruder alert after failed login attempts (takes a picture then emails the GPS location and picture to my email)
- Auto respond to "Hi, how are you?" texts (I have a friend which all he does is send me those texts - cheeky i know).
- GPS on/off while opening apps (google maps and runtastic).
- Battery saver mode (set CPU to a very low speed, switch off devices etc.)
- Screen lock time depending on apps open (i.e. currently locks after 10 or 15 seconds. With certain apps this varies).
Things I'm planning on doing:
- Send a text (with certain content) and receive the GPS location and play music gradually getting loader (if phone is lost) - using partner's phone.
11th August 2014, 02:27 PM #2
I did a couple of simple things with it on my old phone like auto launch youtube and media player when headphones are plugged in. I think it's one of those apps that if you put the time in, you can do some hella cool stuff with it (I'm just crap at programming but I might give it another go on my new phone if I get time)!
11th August 2014, 03:05 PM #3
I used it for a bit on my old phone about a years and a half ago but got bored with it to be honest. Thinking now though, combining Tasker with Trigger and NFC tags might give way to lots of nice little settings and things. :-)
11th August 2014, 03:05 PM #4
Tasker is really good, lots of people made some good Youtube videos implementing Android Wear and tasker to extend its functionality
12th August 2014, 11:37 AM #5
- Rep Power
I've not looked into the Android Wear stuff, but I might buy it just to tinker around with it further. I'd quite like to learn Python to see if I can stretch it even further.
13th August 2014, 03:23 PM #6
- Rep Power
I've been using Tasker for a few years now, but don't use it nearly to its full potential. Had several profiles and tasks set up but these days I mainly use it to:
- Enable a 'quiet night mode' between certain times, but only at home
- Enable Bluetooth when powered by AC so when my phone is in my car cradle, it enables Bluetooth which in turn connects to my handsfree, which in this combo, enables a 'car mode' disabling the screen timeout and opens Waze. Removing from the car or turning off ignition automatically closes Waze and forces the phone to lock.
- When using Google's camera, as it doesn't support external SD cards, I had a task to move any new photos taken from internal to external storage after using the app. Didn't work too well with the gallery thumbnails refreshing, so stopped using it.
When I got my first phone with NFC I got all excited at the possibilities, but ultimately I still ended up using some automatic trigger in Tasker rather than physically having to swipe my phone over an NFC tag. So lazy, I know!
I currently have a Pressy which I am going to play with in combination with Tasker, but haven't thought of anything cool/useful to do yet.
It's also worth looking at the various Tasker plugins for various app when trying to achieve something, can make life a little easier at times depending on what you're doing.
Last edited by Ant; 13th August 2014 at 03:25 PM.
14th August 2014, 06:33 PM #7
- Rep Power
Tasker tells me the time every minute until I leave home.
Switches off my wifi when I am away from my local cell tower
Did used to unlock my door when I got in range of my wifi, need to get that working after switching to a new home auto system.
By edutech4schools in forum General Chat
Last Post: 21st December 2013, 04:33 PM
By edutech4schools in forum Other Stuff
Last Post: 3rd July 2013, 05:22 PM
By Jon in forum Netbooks, PDA and Phones
Last Post: 6th October 2011, 09:16 AM
By teejay in forum Netbooks, PDA and Phones
Last Post: 7th September 2010, 11:24 AM
By russdev in forum Netbooks, PDA and Phones
Last Post: 5th July 2010, 09:09 AM
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)