+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Virgin Cable Hubs in General; Are people still having issues with the new rolled out SuperHub. Virgin phoned me up last night and offered me ...

Jus North of London, close but not too close
    Thank Post

Virgin Cable Hubs

Are people still having issues with the new rolled out SuperHub.

Virgin phoned me up last night and offered me the new hub but I initially said no, this would enable me for the 100Mb connection. First they said I would need the new hub then they said I wouldn't I am allready on 60Mb connection so I don't think the new hub is necessary. I'm using the hub as a pass through modem as I have a separate SOHO router and Wireless system.

I was firstly with Cable and Wireless, then stayed after became NTL, when they changed to Virgin I had a lot of issues and decided to go to a 2.2Mbs DSL line I was that fed up with the tech issues (although to be fair they did refund the calls if over 10mins which there were a lot) I knew the problem was their end.

When I moved house I had a lot of issues, I couldn't even speak to someone half technical and they tried to pass me onto a company who wanted to charge for the privilege to sort out an issue with Virgins service which I suspect was a DNS issue on their side.

This makes me skeptical of any changes to the service.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Davit2005 View Post
    Are people still having issues with the new rolled out SuperHub.

Virgin phoned me up last night and offered me the new hub but I initially said no, this would enable me for the 100Mb connection. First they said I would need the new hub then they said I wouldn't I am allready on 60Mb connection so I don't think the new hub is necessary. I'm using the hub as a pass through modem as I have a separate SOHO router and Wireless system.

I was firstly with Cable and Wireless, then stayed after became NTL, when they changed to Virgin I had a lot of issues and decided to go to a 2.2Mbs DSL line I was that fed up with the tech issues (although to be fair they did refund the calls if over 10mins which there were a lot) I knew the problem was their end.

When I moved house I had a lot of issues, I couldn't even speak to someone half technical and they tried to pass me onto a company who wanted to charge for the privilege to sort out an issue with Virgins service which I suspect was a DNS issue on their side.

This makes me skeptical of any changes to the service.
    I've switched at home to 100Mb with them and had the same concerns as I use VPN, a friend also switched so I tried this first and it worked fine, so switched with a new super hub and set this up as pass through modem with my own router

Worked fine with no problems.

3. Thanks to Brimstone from:

Davit2005 (7th August 2014)

XiJ

Thank Post
    First time I've had cable and I'm pleasantly surprised by the superhub 2. So much so I've put back my planned cat6 install and seperate wireless and router purchases. I'm getting very good speed / range on all devices wirelessly and compared to my previous ~7mb connection the 50mb flies.

Thank Post
    I had the original one and got 100mb wired no problem.
    The wireless on it was beyond poor. The other problem I had was that if you don't access the config page for upwards of 10 days, it becomes onavailable (the router just won't serve the page). Not a problem unless like me it's all in the loft and you need to power cycle it for some reason... up in the loft I go!
    I've had superhub 2 for a week and it's great. I've done away with the extra access point I had and everything's all lovely.
    Virgin refused to accept an issue with the page serve (despite many people complaining about it online, google it), and said that a superhub2 may not improve my wireless it may be other devices in the area etc; despite the fact that when using my own access point with the same configuration it's fine.
    They charged me £20 as a one off and I just did it for an easy life, though I'll now take it up with them- the new kit has resolved every issue I had. You never know.

Thank Post
    I have the Netgear VMDG485 (not sure if theres a newer hub than this, its the only one I have ever had) and its worked on the 120mb I have with no issues, I dont use it as a modem here I use it with everything turned on and the wifi range is "OK" I would say, I have signal over entire house and out on the street, though its weaker at the back of the house than the front.

What I will add though for some strange reason the other day, the thing powered off and on and knocked off IPSEC and PPTP passthroughs, so I was scratching my head wondering why I could not VPN at the time, until I checked its settings and saw that it had done some sort of wierd reset from what I could tell, so I dont know if VM were playing around or not.

Its not a bad item from what I can see, though its not exactly like you have a choice of what VM provide to you for your internet connection.

Thank Post
    I've had a suberhub 1 and now 2 (running 100Mb). Had a couple of issues with the 1st gen defaulting to factory settings, complained about that so they ran some tests and sent the new one out free. Now running the new one in modem mode with a Mikrotik 951G-2HnD router which has been rock solid.

Thank Post
    My Superhub 2 is pretty reliable to be honest.

Jus North of London, close but not too close
    Thank Post
    Thanks to all, I took the plunge and went for the deal.

Hopefully I will not have too many problems

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread