+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, FOI Request in General; Hi Has anyone recently had a FOI request for all the information on their support contracts? Simon...

Thank Post

FOI Request

Hi

Has anyone recently had a FOI request for all the information on their support contracts?

Simon

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,223 Times in 1,641 Posts
    Sadly, it's not uncommon for suppliers to abuse the FoI rules, but assuming your school is state-funded (including academies and free schools), then your school must reply.

Do answer the questions asked exactly.

Don't give any more detail than is requested. It is not your fault if they failed to ask the correct question.

Do use an email address set up for this request to respond so that you can see who markets you on it and then avoid them like the plague

If you search edugeek you will find a couple of threads quite recently on this subject. Discussion gets a bit heated, but there is sound advice from the likes of Grumbledook on your school's legal position.

If your school is independent, a short sharp response telling them that you are not required to answer as you do not spend public money is sufficient.
    Last edited by elsiegee40; 4th August 2014 at 09:11 AM.

Thank Post
    Yes, had a couple through in the last month or so. Seems to be that time of year again.
    I have another to reply to atm, but the previous one (wanting slightly different details) had a reply address that bounced mail straight back, and an email address listed in the body of the email which didn't even appear to exist... what a giant waste of time!

In terms of answering, where I'm at currently doesn't have a great deal of support contracts in place as we have a fairly large and well-experienced team in house, so the response is very quick.
    If however I was in a place which had lots of high value contracts I'd be asking myself whether it was in the commercial interests of the company to reveal certain details. Take a look on the ICO website and look at the restrictions which are there to help you sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by gopher_1999 View Post
    Hi

Has anyone recently had a FOI request for all the information on their support contracts?

Simon

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread