Poll: Are you left or right handed?

+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Are you left or right handed? in General; Ambidextrous here too. Can do everything with my right hand that I can do with the left but write with ...
    Thank Post
    Ambidextrous here too.

Can do everything with my right hand that I can do with the left but write with my left and wear a watch on my left wrist. Mouse on the right but have no issues with it on the left - just the way my desk is laid out

When I was at school I clearly remember being told (nearly forced) to write with my right hand but for a while ended up writing with my left hand for the left page then swapping to my right hand for the right page. Ended up settling for left but not consciously.

I very often switch hands to finish a job. I did a plastering course at my local college recently and was driving the instructor mad because I'd change hands halfway through skimming. Seemed to be ok though - which he also couldn't get a grasp on.

HBJB

2. Thanks to Heebeejeebee from:

kearton (30th July 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AMLightfoot View Post
    On the plus side, I can write (and read) fluently in mirror image.
    Can't do the writing bit but can read as fast as normal both upside down and mirrored. I've met plenty of right handers who can just about do it, but seems to be mostly lefties who can do it with ease.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoZeroAlpha View Post
    Can't do the writing bit but can read as fast as normal both upside down and mirrored. I've met plenty of right handers who can just about do it, but seems to be mostly lefties who can do it with ease.
    Yeah upside down is straightforward too. When I was at University doing my PGCE we had a 'professional themes' session on Dyslexia (it was mixed disciplines so not just the Science lot) and the instructor put up a slide with a Shakeperian Sonnet in Mirror image and did a round robin around the table asking people to try to read it out loud. He used this as an example of how difficult and frustrating it was for Dyslexic pupils to have to decipher the words they are reading and to illustrate how daunting round-robin reading was. I think he also used it to point out the difficulties pupils who've learned to read and write languages that read right to left (such as arabic) face when learning English. When it came to me I just read it fluently and it wasn't difficult at all. I think this is part of the differences between how left and right handers process information. I'd be interested to see some statistics comparing instances of left and right handedness in pupils with Dyslexia and Dyscalculia as I wonder if there is genuinely a difference in the way Left and Right handed peoples brains interpret visual stimulus. LeBoyfriend is a Dyslexic (Right hander just fyi) and often he will literally not be able to see that a word is written if it is written backwards/mirrored or is upside down. He tells me that it is just a pattern to him and he can't identify it as a word at all. Although he is excellent at Scrabble because he says he's used to unscrambling words.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,742 Times in 2,316 Posts
    Blog Entries
    :'( and me just a lowly right hander who can only read upside down with some effort. Its all the blood rushing to my head that's the problem really, plus getting upside down to read for starters

6. 2 Thanks to SYNACK:

kearton (31st July 2014), mac_shinobi (30th July 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,081 Times in 997 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AMLightfoot View Post
    I don't recall eating any differently - I've always held my utensils the 'Right handed way'. I don't really understand how it benefits left handers to hold the Knife in the left hand. I hold my fork in my left hand because the fork is the one that is doing the lifting and manipulating of the food - the knife just cuts it. I hold my soup and dessert spoons in my left hand too. Essentially, anything that requires fine motor skills I do with my left hand (although ironically I'm WAY better at using a mouse with my right hand and I even have a trackball mouse) so I really don't understand why Left handers would find holding the fork in their right hand easier as the fork is the one needing the finer motor skills isn't it?
    Eating soup / ice cream etc I use my right hand to hold the spoon and use my left hand to hold the bowl or pot / tub etc

Thank Post
    I'm left-handed but I'm not allowed to vote on the poll... I call shenanigans!

9. Thanks to davethetekkie from:

kearton (31st July 2014)

Thank Post
    I was "taught" to write with my right hand at school in the mid 70's, but have never been able to write neatly. Some things I can only do left handed (eg using a shovel), some things with either hand, but I predominantly use my right hand as that is how I have been taught to do things. My daughter is proud leftie though.

11. Thanks to GPT123 from:

kearton (31st July 2014)

Thank Post
    Just under 16% of 76 voters are lefties... keep the votes coming peeps!!

Thank Post
    Left handed here but use my computer at work with mouse setup for right handed because if someone right handed needed to use my computer they just got too confused .

14. Thanks to xenonive from:

kearton (1st August 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,542 Times in 1,976 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Right handed for everything but firing a rifle, which I discovered a couple of years ago - but that's down to my eyes.

Its probably a good thing that I'm right handed actually, as my left hand was severely weakened during my childhood through an accident, to the extent I'm missing a couple of knuckles and a lump of bone on the left side.
    Last edited by localzuk; 1st August 2014 at 11:50 AM.

16. Thanks to localzuk from:

kearton (1st August 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,156 Times in 645 Posts
    Sooper-dooper right handed myself - can't do anything tricky with my left hand.

I blame this for never being able to get any good at guitar (the real reason is probably just impatience though).

Al

18. 2 Thanks to VeryPC:

kearton (1st August 2014), mac_shinobi (1st August 2014)

Thank Post
    I'm so right-dominant that my left hand might as well belong to someone else.

About the only thing I can do well with my left hand is hold down a SHIFT key.

20. Thanks to Earthling from:

kearton (20th August 2014)

Thank Post
    16.85% from 89 Edugeekers. Huzzah!

Thank Post
    Righty reporting in!

Right handed for everything generally except for eating. I eat like a left handed person for whatever reason.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,322 Times in 812 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kearton View Post
    The average number of people in the world is approx. 10%,
    ...whut?

24. Thanks to Domino from:

kearton (20th August 2014)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast