Poll: Are you left or right handed?

+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Are you left or right handed? in General; I am pretty much ambidextrous. I can do everything with my left hand that I can do with my right, ...
    Thank Post
    I am pretty much ambidextrous. I can do everything with my left hand that I can do with my right, except writing. So I have put down right handed on that basis.

2. Thanks to arwen from:

kearton (29th July 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kearton View Post
    The average number of people in the world is approx. 10%, but I've always suspected that this statistic is higher for people that work in IT. A few recent posts in another thread on this forum reinforced this theory. So I thought I'd create a poll to see what it is amongst Edugeekers.

The poll will only have 2 options (left or right). Please don't start the whole cross-dominance or ambidextrous debate - if you consider yourself to fit in those categories, just choose which one you consider to be your strongest.
    e.g I write and throw with my left hand. I use racquets left handed. I bat and bowl left handed for cricket. However, I play guitar and golf right handed (but only because the equipment I had when I was learning was right handed). I use a mouse with my right hand. I consider myself to be left handed.
    I found when I was at University that the number of Left handers in Scientific disciplines was considerably greater than the 1-in-3 number we see in general population. I did Geology and in fact more than 2/3 of the cohort were left handers. When I did my teacher training in the Secondary Science discipline again the numbers of Left Handers were much higher than in the other disciplines like English and History.

I think IT is a mixed bag because on the one side you have the 'scientific' or heavily technical people like developers, and on the other you have the more 'artistic' people like product designers, documentation etc. Among support people there are a wide variety of skill sets with some people less technical and more customer service oriented and others more technical.

There is a very clear demographic skew between our Technical office and our Sales Office - the number of Left handers in our technical office is way above 'average' and there are more right handers in our sales office.

I read somewhere that when a person is developing in the womb, there are a bunch of fibres connecting the two hemispheres of the brain and that when you're born, a percentage of those fibres naturally die off as part of the developmental process and that people that are left handed had less fibres die than right handers and that this explains why left handers have a predisposition to analytical disciplines because of the way their brains process information. It was very interesting.

4. Thanks to AMLightfoot from:

kearton (29th July 2014)

Thank Post
    I've gone for right handed because I write with my right hand but in just about everything else my left hand is dominant.

6. Thanks to SiliconAlley_Sam from:

kearton (29th July 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,170 Times in 898 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Does anyone else that is ambidexterous (that includes those that can't or do not write with both hands) find it annoying when someone asks you to write something with the "other" hand?
    I get asked every now and then if it comes up, and I don't want to tell them to look up the meaning of the word as that's rather rude (ambidexterity does NOT infer writing neatly with either hand!)

Thank Post
    When my Great Aunt was at school before WW1, she was naturally left handed but at school was made to write with her right hand.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,633 Times in 1,823 Posts
    Goodness, it went on much more recently than that- some friends of mine who are in their early sixties were forced to use their right hands even though they are obviously left-handed. @SiliconAlley_Sam I wonder if you write right-handed because you saw almost everyone else doing it? mrwITch writes with his right hand but does everything else left-handed - using a screwdriver, holding a squash racquet, picking up heavy weights etc. He says he doesn't remember being told that he should use his right hand.
    My daughter in law is a reception teacher and she tells me that children can sometimes take a whole year or more to decide which hand they are going to write with.
    I can write with my left hand and I wear my watch on the "wrong" wrist for a right-hander. My sister can write equally badly with either hand..she always says she is no-dextrous

Thank Post
    I'm a lefty and always have been. I'm the only one in my immediate family and as it turns out my 6 year old is a lefty too. Waiting to see what my 1 year old uses, but will be a little way off yet!

David

Thank Post
    We got up to just over 20% lefties last night... back down to 16% this morning after 55 votes. If you haven't voted yet, please do so. Thanks peeps!

Thank Post
    Right handed here, had to use my left hand for a term when I was at school and Broke my arm.

Different story however when it comes to football where I am left footed (Do you supose being Left or Right Handed affects goalkeepers)
    Last edited by Mcshammer_dj; 30th July 2014 at 09:52 AM.

13. Thanks to Mcshammer_dj from:

kearton (30th July 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,119 Times in 1,024 Posts
    Right here - I can use my left hand if needed but slower and not as good

:-)

15. Thanks to mac_shinobi from:

kearton (30th July 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    Goodness, it went on much more recently than that- some friends of mine who are in their early sixties were forced to use their right hands even though they are obviously left-handed. @SiliconAlley_Sam I wonder if you write right-handed because you saw almost everyone else doing it? mrwITch writes with his right hand but does everything else left-handed - using a screwdriver, holding a squash racquet, picking up heavy weights etc. He says he doesn't remember being told that he should use his right hand.
    My daughter in law is a reception teacher and she tells me that children can sometimes take a whole year or more to decide which hand they are going to write with.
    I can write with my left hand and I wear my watch on the "wrong" wrist for a right-hander. My sister can write equally badly with either hand..she always says she is no-dextrous
    Yes, my Father was forced to write with his right hand (and he's 65) and now he can only write in block capitals.

In the late 80's as a solidly unrepentant left hander (although I use a mouse with my right and can be considered ambidextrous in many things) I was put in a remedial writing class at school because I was left handed. Not because I had trouble reading or because I needed support, but simply because I was a left hander and they considered it a learning difficulty. I hated it and was miserable because the 'right handed' exercises we had to do had me forming letters the wrong way. If I have a left handed child I'll come down on the school like a tonne of bricks if they try to force him or her to do exercises based around right handed media.

On the plus side, I can write (and read) fluently in mirror image.

I have a theory on the whole 'Ambidextrous' thing - as a society we are still 'favouring' Right handedness - everywhere you look things are set up by default as 'right handed' - computers, mice, scissors, spiral bound notebooks, etc. Which means that Left Handers naturally have to BECOME ambidextrous in order to function. If there were an equal amount of left handed tools available (like scissors for example, or can openers) you'd probably find less ambidextrous left handers. I think we are simply 'coping' with the way the world is.

17. Thanks to AMLightfoot from:

kearton (30th July 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by laserblazer View Post
    When my Great Aunt was at school before WW1, she was naturally left handed but at school was made to write with her right hand.
    This happened to my sister in the 90's... dinner ladies making her eat right handed when she was left handed! Didn't go down well with mother!

Thank Post
    My primary school and Dad used to try to force me to eat right handed but to no avail. Apparently because I wrote with my right hand I had no excuse to not eat "the right way".

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SiliconAlley_Sam View Post
    My primary school and Dad used to try to force me to eat right handed but to no avail. Apparently because I wrote with my right hand I had no excuse to not eat "the right way".
    I don't recall eating any differently - I've always held my utensils the 'Right handed way'. I don't really understand how it benefits left handers to hold the Knife in the left hand. I hold my fork in my left hand because the fork is the one that is doing the lifting and manipulating of the food - the knife just cuts it. I hold my soup and dessert spoons in my left hand too. Essentially, anything that requires fine motor skills I do with my left hand (although ironically I'm WAY better at using a mouse with my right hand and I even have a trackball mouse) so I really don't understand why Left handers would find holding the fork in their right hand easier as the fork is the one needing the finer motor skills isn't it?

21. Thanks to AMLightfoot from:

kearton (30th July 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AMLightfoot View Post
    I don't recall eating any differently - I've always held my utensils the 'Right handed way'. I don't really understand how it benefits left handers to hold the Knife in the left hand. I hold my fork in my left hand because the fork is the one that is doing the lifting and manipulating of the food - the knife just cuts it. I hold my soup and dessert spoons in my left hand too. Essentially, anything that requires fine motor skills I do with my left hand (although ironically I'm WAY better at using a mouse with my right hand and I even have a trackball mouse) so I really don't understand why Left handers would find holding the fork in their right hand easier as the fork is the one needing the finer motor skills isn't it?
    snap!!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast