+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, My equipment, indeed the whole world, is conspiring against me in General; I got home from last night and switched on the TV, an 18 month old Blaupunkt, only to find that ...

Thank Post

My equipment, indeed the whole world, is conspiring against me

I got home from last night and switched on the TV, an 18 month old Blaupunkt, only to find that it wouldn't power on. It looks as though the rocker switch is faulty. Resigning myself to no TV, I decided to check my emails. My computer wouldn't connect to the internet. I restart my router, still no action, although I could ping it. I thought it might be my ISP, so I phones their help line and the nice man tells me their service is working fine. OK, so it must be my router. When I tried to login to it, it wouldn't let me in, with a password failure. It's a Technicolor 582, which is known to have problems sometimes, so out of desperation, I tried the default password. I managed to login. For what ever reason, my router had decided to reset itself to factory defaults. After setting it up again, I'm online. Horray!

What to do about the TV? According to the manual, it has a 36 month warranty, so I phones them up, and explain what is going on.
    Him: "When did you purchase the set?"
    Me: "21st May, 2013"
    Him: "Where did you purchase it from?"
    Me: "Sainsburys, Oldbury"
    Him: "I'm sorry Sir, it's out of warranty, so we can't help you."
    Me: "But it says in the manual, it has a 36 month warranty."
    Him: "mmmmm. Take a scan of that page in the manual and your purchase receipt and email it to us. The customer care people will then contact you by email, and arrange collection."
    Me: "OK, that's fine."
    Him: "Do you still have the original packaging?"
    Me: "No."
    Him: "Sorry, without the original packaging, we can't guarantee a safe collection by the courier."

This set me thinking. Since there is nobody home during the day, collecting it would be a big problem. I can't very well take a 32" TV on the train to work, and have them collect it from there, even if I had the original box. I decided to call the local repair man. "Sure, we can pick it up at 6:00pm tonight and have a look." Always support your local trader!

Anyway, I'm off for an eduginger nut. (I don't like hob nobs sorry!)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by unixman_again View Post
    I got home from last night and switched on the TV, an 18 month old Blaupunkt, only to find that it wouldn't power on. It looks as though the rocker switch is faulty. Resigning myself to no TV, I decided to check my emails. My computer wouldn't connect to the internet. I restart my router, still no action, although I could ping it. I thought it might be my ISP, so I phones their help line and the nice man tells me their service is working fine. OK, so it must be my router. When I tried to login to it, it wouldn't let me in, with a password failure. It's a Technicolor 582, which is known to have problems sometimes, so out of desperation, I tried the default password. I managed to login. For what ever reason, my router had decided to reset itself to factory defaults. After setting it up again, I'm online. Horray!

What to do about the TV? According to the manual, it has a 36 month warranty, so I phones them up, and explain what is going on.
    Him: "When did you purchase the set?"
    Me: "21st May, 2013"
    Him: "Where did you purchase it from?"
    Me: "Sainsburys, Oldbury"
    Him: "I'm sorry Sir, it's out of warranty, so we can't help you."
    Me: "But it says in the manual, it has a 36 month warranty."
    Him: "mmmmm. Take a scan of that page in the manual and your purchase receipt and email it to us. The customer care people will then contact you by email, and arrange collection."
    Me: "OK, that's fine."
    Him: "Do you still have the original packaging?"
    Me: "No."
    Him: "Sorry, without the original packaging, we can't guarantee a safe collection by the courier."

This set me thinking. Since there is nobody home during the day, collecting it would be a big problem. I can't very well take a 32" TV on the train to work, and have them collect it from there, even if I had the original box. I decided to call the local repair man. "Sure, we can pick it up at 6:00pm tonight and have a look." Always support your local trader!

Anyway, I'm off for an eduginger nut. (I don't like hob nobs sorry!)
    Take the tv back to Sainsburys, it's their problem returning it, not yours. I'd probably go down the demand a refund route and buy a new telly tbh. Sainsburys are usually very good on stuff like this, so shouldn't be a problem getting a refund.

Thank Post
    my virgin router reset the other day for some odd reason too, it turned off IPSEC and PPTP passthrough also so I couldnt VPN into work for a few days.

Jus North of London, close but not too close
    Thank Post
    So far this week
    Monday - walked into server room and found a faulty Server HDD
    Tuesday - walked into server room and found a faulty HDD on a different server + find a faulty module in switch
    Thursday - And another faulty HDD in different server.

Time to give up for the week I think

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread