+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, In days of yore when PC magazines ruled in General; Originally Posted by rich_tech I noticed these days that a few of the magazines I read are getting a lot ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rich_tech View Post
    I noticed these days that a few of the magazines I read are getting a lot thinner on content, CustomPC was a prime example, its chock full of adverts, probably more of them than content, I noticed too PC Pro is getting a bit thinner as well.

I do miss the "good old days" of PC magazines, I started with PC Format, which I graduated too after years of "Mean Machines" and "Computer and Video Games"
    I used to love Mean Machines is so interesting pre internet dayz to see how readers interacted with the writers by sending letters and drawings which would have take hours.

I have these in my office right now and cant throw them out. They are older than some NQTs here.
    In days of yore when PC magazines ruled-old-mean-machines.jpg

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    I remember walking up town of a Saturday morning and getting a magazine from Smiths, and sitting down on a bench for an hour on the way back to start reading it. More than that I remember pestering my parents for every Amiga Magazine going so I could get the coverdiscs - at one point I was reading Amiga Format, Amiga Power, Amiga Action and The One every month. There was little as exciting as one of the magazines coming with two coverdiscs that month, one of them undoubtedly "TWENTY full PD games!" crammed into an 880k floppy.
    I've still got a massive collection of these amiga mags! Coverdiscs were just about the greatest thing ever! It's something that would be unheard of these days i guess

Come to think of it I've still got a couple of C64 mags and the covertapes. I wonder how well they've fared over the last 25 years or so.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    Stoked to find them all in the archive. Also Amstrad Action
    I used to buy Amstrad Action all the time. I remember being around 14 or 15 and me and my mate got a new game (cant remember what it was called now) and we finished it within a few days and wrote up the walkthrough, submitted it to the Amstrad Action and we won a prize for best walkthrough. We got vouchers which allowed us to buy GAC (Graphical Adventure Creator) Graphic Adventure Creator - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - Happy days!!!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,254 Times in 1,036 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rich_tech View Post
    I noticed these days that a few of the magazines I read are getting a lot thinner on content, CustomPC was a prime example, its chock full of adverts, probably more of them than content, I noticed too PC Pro is getting a bit thinner as well.

I do miss the "good old days" of PC magazines, I started with PC Format, which I graduated too after years of "Mean Machines" and "Computer and Video Games"
    They should think themselves lucky, many magazines are struggling to find advertisors these days (It's all on t'interwebs now don'tcherknow). Stange about the lack of content though :/

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fiza View Post
    We got vouchers which allowed us to buy GAC (Graphical Adventure Creator) Graphic Adventure Creator - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - Happy days!!!
    Didn't they give away the GAC with one of the covertapes? I had a copy previous to that which came with this horrible lenslok system (special magnifying glass you folded in a particular way to decode letters on the screen). I'm sure when AA put it on the covertape (without lenslok) they ran a competition. I entered with an adventure game based on the London underground I created using GAC. Got a thank you back from The Balrog (obviously didn't win - rubbish created by an 8-9 year old!).
    Last edited by tmcd35; 24th July 2014 at 12:27 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I had a copy of 'Big K' with a cover disc - they called it a 'flexidisc'.

I'm not joking, it was a thin, plastic record which you had to copy to tape to play the games that were recorded on the record. Must have been about 1984.
    Last edited by jinnantonnixx; 24th July 2014 at 12:59 PM.

Thank Post
    Man I miss Zzap!64

In days of yore when PC magazines ruled-zzap64_issue_13.jpg

I remember I got the Robocop2 Demo on a tape which was the only way to play it as it only came out in full on a cartridge
    Last edited by chazzy2501; 24th July 2014 at 01:05 PM.

Thank Post
    There's a great archive of INPUT magazine here:

Commodore - Magazines - Input

My favourite has to be the "Home Computer Course", and the "Home Computer Advanced Course", with the way they took the lid off computers (literally).

Thank Post
    Yeah - the mag I favoured - PCPlus went a while ago as did the music mag I subscribed to - I guess its just the way of things and sign of getting...old(er)

Thank Post
    I have still have a couple of copies of Acorn User magazine from 84 knocking around in my office and they always make me smile when I read them again. Spent lots of times typing in the listings from those pages!

One of my favourite mags was Micro Computer Mart and I bought and sold a lot stuff via it. I spend hours searching for bargains and getting ink all over my hands

Happy days 😄

Thank Post
    I still subscribe to some mags but all on my tablet.

I miss the old days of magazines but I think the internet has killed most of them off.

Thank Post
    I've got every PC Format from #15 to #120 in my parents loft. I can't remember the last time I read a computer mag, as others have said, google or edugeek is my goto.

Going to have some fun going through the links earlier in this thread though

Andrew

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12