+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Flame for IT has gone out. in General; Hardware has sort of reached a point where it cannot go much faster in terms of everyday use word and ...
    Thank Post
    Hardware has sort of reached a point where it cannot go much faster in terms of everyday use word and web etc. whereas before you we're replacing equipment every with something far better, now it's not really worth it as stuff is useable for much longer. People are also more savy and don't ask for as much help. Even in the 6 years I have been in IT it has changed with tabs etc. tabs are boring in terms of repair, and now everything is beginning to look the same.

In another five years I doubt any computers will be as easy to repair as they are now.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    People aren't really more savvy these days, they just think they are. A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing...

That and the rubbish software that keeps getting released at lightning speed these days are my biggest gripes with IT in 2014.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alkaline View Post
    I have worked in IT for over six years now, but since late last year I just find it worthless. I have tried changing jobs into a different sector but its still the same. It just bores me to death. Don't know why, one day it just happened. I am now rude to people, have no patience for solving issues, and dread each day. Any creativity and passion I had in the past, is just gone. Also noticed I just have a devil may care attitude. Its all a bit weird, If I was older I would think its a mid life crisis but I am only in my mid 20's.

This ever happened to anyone else?

Hope it's just a phase that passes. Albeit a LONG phase. I found looking for certs forced me into learning new things, and oh boy does that break up the drudgery. Imagine looking at your CV in two/three years and seeing LPIC and CCNA on it!

But yes, those feels, I know them.

Thank Post
    Same here. Been in for 8.5 years and it is becoming samey. Think I have just lost the ICT desire now, and going through the motions a lot of the time

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,017 Times in 1,466 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I am too. If not for the fact that I have almost free reign internet wise (obvious things like pr0n are blocked), and can play games on the PC at lunch (full on games, like Tropico, EU4, CK2, ETS2 etc) I would have gone a while ago.

I am slowly turning a hobby into something successful however. I brew a lot of drinks at home, and use them for barbecues, friends parties etc. Many people enjoy that they are made locally (some cases literally right next door), and that I am willing to trade for them (I can't sell them). I'll take a dozen fresh eggs from my neighbours chickens for a bottle of wine for example.

Current brews are a light ale, dark ale, elderflower wine, blackberry wine, and cherry schnapps. I have enough for 60 bottles of light ale, 60 bottles of dark ale, 30 bottles of elderflower wine, and 30 bottles of blackberry wine.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I bought a coffee van and ran away from IT. I was soon back when I realised all jobs are annoying as hell and no matter what, there will be annoying people and annoying hardware, whether it be a computer, a generator or a coffee machine it's all the same. Definitely look for a new job and it always makes you find what you want.

Thank Post
    I think it easier to get bored while working in IT in a School than was in corporate, well that's true for me anyhow.

Thank Post
    Agree IT has just become a way to earn money and nothing else. Must admit there was genuine excitement in the late 90s to early 2000s as far as hardware goes. But I'll admit part of this was due to knowing that if you managed to rescue an old system that someone had discarded, it was often worth a few hundred quid in your pocket because you would always have an eager buyer.

These days, its all a bit...how the youngsters would say....meh. Have no interest in the latest kit and especially mobile phones.

Thank Post
    i think thats just life. Do something for long enough and almost anything seems better in comparison as yo start seeing the poor bits of your job (you cant remember your password its the 5th time today ive reset it sigh) and only seeing the good bits of another job. You also after a point get a system set up how you want it and its changing things thats interesting once everything more or less works how you want it to there is less interestesting. the new stuff comning through is just less interesting to me ipads etc i see as toys and should be treated as such they arnt serious it devices they are ways to watch cat videos and post them to facebook not do any serious work, byod could be interesting as it would mean learning new networking stuff but to do it properly schools will need to spend more on invisible (to them) infrastructure than they will so nowt ever comes of it.

Thank Post
    So, basically it turns out that your just really bored...

What got you into IT in the first place ? Games, Hardware, Networking ?

There are so many areas of IT that I can usually always find a passion somewhere.

I have recently got bored with desktops, so ended up doing some Android Development.

Currently getting as much of my home WiFi, Led'd and sensored as possible, Led lights, Nest Fire Alarm and Thermometer, Withings scales.

Took up Running Swimming and Cycling, the tech around that is amazing.

So sounds like you need a hobby.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    When I own my own home (properly, and not having someone else do the mortgage and hold the deeds until we pay it off), I will be doing the following (and the mrs has agreed).

Cat 6 (or whatever is current) cabling in the house. 2 ports per room should be sufficient. Will lead to a switch which will likely be housed in the master bedroom.
    Additional plug sockets. Each set of 2 in the house will be increased to a set of 6, and each individual socket will be increased to a set of 2.
    Solar Panels - will ensure I can get solar on the house, no questions asked.
    Automatic lighting (for the bathroom and kitchen). I've seen someone on here thats done it (can't remember who, but it was posted on my dad site, and the member came from here).
    Build a small brewery in the cellar/basement (or have one dug out for me to build into).

They are my projects for a new house.

IT wise, I am not so much getting bored, but placated. Whilst I learn more aspects of IT (programming, networking, cloud, hardware etc), I find the job market is still very limiting unless you move to a big city. Unfortunately, that isn't really ideal for us.

*edit*

Hobby wise - I brew beer and wine. I forage for wild fruit, nuts, veg, and herbs. I hunt. I fish. I learn new skills (I am a fully qualified Landscape Gardener, Welder and Carpenter).

I have a lifetime membership to the Trades houses of Glasgow, inducted to Carpentry, Tailoring, Weavers, Maltmen and Masons.
    Last edited by nephilim; 21st July 2014 at 10:16 AM.

Thank Post
    I started in IT back in 1978 (ICL George III mainframes) and have been in it ever since (apart from, a year I spent at a firm building narrowboats). The last 18-19 years have been in schools. I too get bored at times, (although not very often) mainly because our network is so stable that it rarely requires anything doing. I think it's the same with all jobs that sooner or later we start to stagnate.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    When I own my own home (properly, and not having someone else do the mortgage and hold the deeds until we pay it off), I will be doing the following (and the mrs has agreed).

Cat 6 (or whatever is current) cabling in the house. 2 ports per room should be sufficient. Will lead to a switch which will likely be housed in the master bedroom.
    Additional plug sockets. Each set of 2 in the house will be increased to a set of 6, and each individual socket will be increased to a set of 2.
    Automatic lighting (for the bathroom and kitchen). I've seen someone on here thats done it (can't remember who, but it was posted on my dad site, and the member came from here).
    Build a small brewery in the cellar/basement (or have one dug out for me to build into).

When I bought my own house, I also did most of these things... Had cat 5e to a double point on virtually every wall of every room, a cisco 1720 series doing interwebs, a dell server doing full domain auth, a nas, a 2 point wireless system and extra sockets everywhere. I've undone a lot of that when I discovered how much it was costing me in electricity, now I just have a smaller 1725 router, and a single netgear wifi point with external antennae.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    @Oaktech the plan is to have a switch going, nothing else. If I want to do Auth, I'll set up the wifi to do it so that only certain named devices can connect.

15. Thanks to nephilim from:

Oaktech (21st July 2014)

Thank Post
    Flame for IT has gone out.-photo.jpg.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post

IT wise, I am not so much getting bored, but placated. Whilst I learn more aspects of IT (programming, networking, cloud, hardware etc), I find the job market is still very limiting unless you move to a big city. Unfortunately, that isn't really ideal for us.

*edit*

Hobby wise - I brew beer and wine. I forage for wild fruit, nuts, veg, and herbs. I hunt. I fish. I learn new skills (I am a fully qualified Landscape Gardener, Welder and Carpenter).

I have a lifetime membership to the Trades houses of Glasgow, inducted to Carpentry, Tailoring, Weavers, Maltmen and Masons.
    I bet being an expert in IT, carpentry and landscape design has resulted in a lot of people asking you for 'favours' Neph??

Oh, and I have recently had my house cabled. 18 points all back to my office. Just put a 16TB Synology DS414 in too. Loving it for transfer speeds over the LAN!

I must say I'm still loving IT, even after 13 years in the field. I have installed a great media centre are home, with decent Onkyo amp that passes HD Audio.

Whenever I feel myself getting a bit stale, I just look at one of the other areas in IT. It's so broad that there is always something new to learn.
    Last edited by Gardinho; 21st July 2014 at 10:37 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast