+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, House rewire on a house we are about to buy in General; We are in the process of buying our first home and the offer has been accepted, our mortgage company is ...

Thank Post

House rewire on a house we are about to buy

We are in the process of buying our first home and the offer has been accepted, our mortgage company is happy to give us a mortgage and the solicitors have taken the money to do the searches.

Now, we have had a gas and electrical test done. The gas came back fine, there was only a minor problem but this was fixed but the electrics will need doing to the poi t where the house will need a full rewire.

Whos responsibility is this to have this done? Even though we have had them tested would the vendor have to pay for this work? Can we ask them to bring the house price down for the work that needs to be carried out?

Thank Post
    Basically you are agreeing a price with the seller, when the surveys etc come back you would normally go back to the seller and renegotiate the price based on the faults which have been found some sellers will negotiate others will point-blank refuse. Ultimately if you choose to purchase the house that needs rewiring it is down to you to get the work do.

Just as a guideline the regs state that every electrical installation after 25 years needs to be rewired due to the possible breakdown of the plastic installation but in reality the plastic should be good for at least 50 years the biggest issue normally is in houses from the 70s and before there is no earth in the lighting circuit which can be dangerous if you have metal light fittings and switches.

The other thing to consider about having a full house rewire is that in effect all the decoration in the house will have to be redone as it means knocking out parts of walls and lifting floorboards etc. cetera much easier if it’s your first house to get it done before you moving but again remember to knock that of the price as you will have to redecorate.

3. Thanks to DEfrostphone from:

timbo343 (17th July 2014)

Thank Post
    I'd ask them to bring the price down!

5. Thanks to E_G_R2 from:

Thank Post
    How far? If the work needs about £2,500 to complete should i ask a bit more or should i see if they will go halves?

Thank Post
    ask them for the £2,500 off the price as you need to spend that after buying it or they need to spend it before selling!

8. Thanks to jamesreedersmith from:

Thank Post
    What's the reason for the full rewire? Is it unsafe?

Thank Post
    The earth is failing on both ring and lights, the db needs changing (its the domino style one) and by upgrading the db it would keep triping and the upstairs and downstairs is one big ring.

The house is a late 70s build.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DEfrostphone View Post
    Basically you are agreeing a price with the seller, when the surveys etc come back you would normally go back to the seller and renegotiate the price based on the faults which have been found some sellers will negotiate others will point-blank refuse. Ultimately if you choose to purchase the house that needs rewiring it is down to you to get the work do.

Just as a guideline the regs state that every electrical installation after 25 years needs to be rewired due to the possible breakdown of the plastic installation but in reality the plastic should be good for at least 50 years the biggest issue normally is in houses from the 70s and before there is no earth in the lighting circuit which can be dangerous if you have metal light fittings and switches.

The other thing to consider about having a full house rewire is that in effect all the decoration in the house will have to be redone as it means knocking out parts of walls and lifting floorboards etc. cetera much easier if itís your first house to get it done before you moving but again remember to knock that of the price as you will have to redecorate.
    We have discussed all this already, its like you were in the room at the time :P. Between me and the OH we know a lot of people who can help us out and i love this type of stuff anyway.

We are planning on knocking the kitchen through to make it a kitchen diner instead of a lounge diner.

Thank Post
    Basically the standards will not meet with current day standards, mainly like it has been said its down to earthing. I've just had mine done and I went from 10 sockets to around 70 with new distribution board and a couple of new fittings plus some outside works and it came in at £2700 and that was also 13 LED spot lights and bulbs and was using MK sockets and switches which are not cheap. Told him to leave the mess so cut costs I cleaned up and then just plastered over.

Thank Post
    There is no "legal" obligation for the vendor to leave the property in a "safe" condition, properties are sold as seen and the price you are prepared to pay should reflect this.

Any works carried out to the property specifically must comply with Local Building Regulations applicable at the time.
    If the property was re wired 20 years ago as long as it complies with the regulations of 1994 that's fine.
    If anything has been added since it has to have been carried out by a competent person and signed off by building regs or one of the competent persons schemes.

The usual suspects requiring certification are Electricals (Part P), Gas Safe and Windows & Doors (FENSA)

If there is not a current certificate for these items then this will seriously impact the asking price.

A full rewire costs £2-3k but can easily knock £5k off a house price as do bathrooms and kitchens.

Ultimately it's the mortgage company that may withhold on you if the property value is adversely affected by these factors and any half decent survey will reveal this.

I would be asking for a discount unless you already believe you have a bargain.

14. Thanks to m25man from:

timbo343 (18th July 2014)

Thank Post
    Yeah haggle for the full price of the work, but obviously bear in mind how much you want the house against how easy it would be for them to tell you to naff off and flog it to someone else...

16. Thanks to SpuffMonkey from:

Thank Post
    Be glad you aren't my in laws. Mid-1930s semi, the wiring hadn't been renewed since the ring main was first installed in the 1950s. All the rubber coating had perished. They were close to the whole lot going up in smoke.

Luckily when we bought our house (same vintage, same area) the wiring was late 1980s - thanks to the British Standard mark on the coating!

Thank Post
    I'd get the vendor to drop the price to cover the full wire. If they don't I would pull out of the sale. You shouldn't have to pay a penny.

19. Thanks to sippo from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SpuffMonkey View Post
    Yeah haggle for the full price of the work, but obviously bear in mind how much you want the house against how easy it would be for them to tell you to naff off and flog it to someone else...
    We were discussing that option last night. To be fair could rewire it in under a week.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Trapper View Post
    Be glad you aren't my in laws. Mid-1930s semi, the wiring hadn't been renewed since the ring main was first installed in the 1950s. All the rubber coating had perished. They were close to the whole lot going up in smoke.

Luckily when we bought our house (same vintage, same area) the wiring was late 1980s - thanks to the British Standard mark on the coating!
    My house is late 1800's, I dont think the wiring has been done since it was first installed.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast