+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, House rewire on a house we are about to buy in General; ...

Thank Post
    Ahh the fun of buying a house/ or selling for them.

If the vendor isn't in the position where they have to sell then they might not be willing to negogiate on the price, especially if you have already knocked money off.

Remember, any house you buy will need work no matter what, you might get one whose electrics are tested and are fine, only to discover 3 months later that although they all test out fine, actually they were installed illegally etc.

You realise the worse thing about the full re-wire isn't actually the cost of it financially really, yeah its expensive (though I paid on £1600 for it in a 3 bed house (including fuse board)). It is money well spent in the end either way. However, remember it is a really messy job which means floorbooards up and plaster everywhere from chasing out the walls, also ask the electricians if they are gonna plaster the chasing back in (though the job they do will be garbage no doubt.

Buy bascially full rewire is usually followed by full re-decorate, you might be doign that anyway, but jsut a heads up.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 1,252 Posts
    In my opinion ask them to reduce the price and get your own electrician to do the re-wire. Not only can you re-position the fuse box, but you can also put sockets where you need them. This is exactly what we did when we bought our home.

To give you an idea, there weren't even sockets for the bed side table lamps, or anywhere suitable to charge my mobile phone!

Thank Post
    My partner and I are purchasing a maisonette and there are only a few sockets here and there, and in a few odd locations! Luckily her Dad is an electrician (Plus handyman) and has offered to relocated sockets + put them in where we want them and he'll plaster over the mess left behind. Luckily we are redecorating anyway!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hardtailstar View Post
    My house is late 1800's, I dont think the wiring has been done since it was first installed.
    Yeah - mine was like that - we had an electrician in to do some bits - he saw the wiring and said that unless we committed to a full rewire immediately he'd have to issue an enforcement notice - and to be fair he was right - behind the fusebox, the wires came through the cellar wall with no insulation cover at all - could've gone at any minute..

Thank Post
    This is kinda the point of having a survey done, anything that comes to light affects the value of the house. I would show an extract of the report to the vendor and ask for that money off (and add another 15-20% to cover you) to get the work done. Ultimately it's covering your bum and it's a negotiating tool.

My parents got done by this before I was born, bought a house had a survey done the previous owner said it had been recently rewired and survey found nothing wrong. A few weeks after moving in all the electrics blew and the electricians said it was a death trap as the wiring was from when the house was built and the insulation was all breaking down and shorting.

I'd say to the vendor how about we get 3 quotes in from different companies, average the quotes out and take that figure plus say an additional 5% of the quote and take that off the house price?

XiJ

Thank Post
    Unless you've you already bagged a bargain, I'd ask at least. If you're doing a full re-wire it's a perfect opportunity to put in cat5 or cat6 too At the same time. (With suitable containment and distance from electric of course)

7. Thanks to XiJ from:

timbo343 (18th July 2014)

Thank Post
    Generally speaking, you ask for a reduction in price. Personally, depending on the purchase price and how much you're over a barrel, I'd probably ask for them to drop the price by £5k (or to the nearest £5k) and leave it open to negotiation. As has already been said, you are asking for a price reduction to reflect the fact that you're the one organising the work (and will have to put up with the inconvenience and mess).

First rule is never be afraid to walk away.
    Second rule is to remember that if your survey found it, and they won't take a reduction in price, they will have exactly the same problem with the next buyer. Unless you know you're getting a bargain, definitely negotiate, even if you have in the back of your mind that you're happy to pay for the whole thing yourself anyway.

Currently in the process of buying a new house myself - still awaiting survey results.

9. Thanks to DPrince from:

timbo343 (18th July 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,957 Times in 1,431 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by m25man View Post
    There is no "legal" obligation for the vendor to leave the property in a "safe" condition, properties are sold as seen and the price you are prepared to pay should reflect this.

Any works carried out to the property specifically must comply with Local Building Regulations applicable at the time.
    If the property was re wired 20 years ago as long as it complies with the regulations of 1994 that's fine.
    If anything has been added since it has to have been carried out by a competent person and signed off by building regs or one of the competent persons schemes.

The usual suspects requiring certification are Electricals (Part P), Gas Safe and Windows & Doors (FENSA)

If there is not a current certificate for these items then this will seriously impact the asking price.

A full rewire costs £2-3k but can easily knock £5k off a house price as do bathrooms and kitchens.

Ultimately it's the mortgage company that may withhold on you if the property value is adversely affected by these factors and any half decent survey will reveal this.

I would be asking for a discount unless you already believe you have a bargain.
    This man is right on the money. I asked the conveyancing department here, they said you can ask for a lower price, however if you have already agreed, then you have shot yourself in the foot. Also, doing a full rewire (and keeping the documents with the deeds of the house etc) will add value to the house.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by XiJ View Post
    Unless you've you already bagged a bargain, I'd ask at least. If you're doing a full re-wire it's a perfect opportunity to put in cat5 or cat6 too At the same time. (With suitable containment and distance from electric of course)
    Never thought about putting cat6 throughout the house. If i were to do that would need to make sure the main point is in a reasonable location. Now-a-days though its pretty easy just to buy the powerline kits.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by m25man View Post
    There is no "legal" obligation for the vendor to leave the property in a "safe" condition, properties are sold as seen and the price you are prepared to pay should reflect this.

Any works carried out to the property specifically must comply with Local Building Regulations applicable at the time.
    If the property was re wired 20 years ago as long as it complies with the regulations of 1994 that's fine.
    If anything has been added since it has to have been carried out by a competent person and signed off by building regs or one of the competent persons schemes.

The usual suspects requiring certification are Electricals (Part P), Gas Safe and Windows & Doors (FENSA)

If there is not a current certificate for these items then this will seriously impact the asking price.

A full rewire costs £2-3k but can easily knock £5k off a house price as do bathrooms and kitchens.

Ultimately it's the mortgage company that may withhold on you if the property value is adversely affected by these factors and any half decent survey will reveal this.

I would be asking for a discount unless you already believe you have a bargain.
    By the looks of the wiring, it looks like it has never been rewired. By the side of the domino fuse box there is some fuse wire which looks like it goes into the box. The electrician couldnt get ring on the neutral. One of the findings came back as a C2. If we were to put a new db in it would keep triping the fuses.

XiJ

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by timbo343 View Post
    Never thought about putting cat6 throughout the house. If i were to do that would need to make sure the main point is in a reasonable location. Now-a-days though its pretty easy just to buy the powerline kits.
    Yep, power line is ok - subject to your wiring being ok lol

In our old house every time we decorated a room I chased out a wall, put trunking in and ran cat5. In this new build I'm going to run cat6. And will eventually have some cameras / wireless using PoE. Doesn't take up power sockets then either. Cat5/6 is incredible useful I find!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by timbo343 View Post
    By the looks of the wiring, it looks like it has never been rewired. By the side of the domino fuse box there is some fuse wire which looks like it goes into the box. The electrician couldnt get ring on the neutral. One of the findings came back as a C2. If we were to put a new db in it would keep triping the fuses.
    I think you may either be mangling what you are told, or being fed bull excrement.

That said, a rewire on a 40 year old house may not be out of order, but I'll put good money on thee being nothing like enough sockets around. My place is a similar age and at a rough count we have a dozen 4/6 way extensions in use!

Don't forget that since the advent of "Part taking the P" you have to have a professional electrician do the work, or inspect it. Well, you don't; one of the directors of the firm has to be in the "right club"; or you can have it inspected by building control form the LA.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12