+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Have I just been done!!? in General; ...

Thank Post

Have I just been done!!?

Hey Guys

Sold my Alienware on eBay for £870, the bloke lives local so came and picked it up at my house, I invited him in to have a look at it and he was all happy with it etc...

He then handed over the cash, I counted the cash but it only came to £800 the problem is on eBay it was £870, he said because of eBay charges and stuff he's actually saving me money, he also stated that we agreed on £800 price which at the time I couldn't remember but I have just looked through them and no we did not agree that price!

I accepted the £800 anyway because I thought it worked out about right with eBay and PayPal fees out of the equation.

I want to know what you think do you think he took me for a ride?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,811 Times in 1,559 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I would have told him to get lost, just for being cheeky!

Thank Post
    youll still have to pay the paypal fees even if he collected and paid cash - you wont pay the paypal ones though obviously.

yes youve been conned im afraid

file a complaint - but i doubt youll get anything from it!

Thank Post
    Ah. He told me to tell eBay that he didn't like the item and walked away from the purchase. eBay have said that he needs to agree to a cancellation transaction resolution and then I won't be charge a final value fee.

Maybe I should have my Mum won't let it go and thinks that I have been conned but have I really missed out?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,715 Times in 1,526 Posts
    If the auction ran to it's end then you will still have final valuation fees to pay on the auction?

Ben

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,715 Times in 1,526 Posts
    Yes you can do that to get out of the fees but to be honest that's not really the way to do things and if he doesn't agree then you will probably have to pay and therefore be even more out of pocket, if you didn't agree to a reduced price you should have told him to go and get another 70 quid.

Ben

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by abillybob View Post
    Ah. He told me to tell eBay that he didn't like the item and walked away from the purchase. eBay have said that he needs to agree to a cancellation transaction resolution and then I won't be charge a final value fee.

Maybe I should have my Mum won't let it go and thinks that I have been conned but have I really missed out?

This however is fraud and effectively theft, you are deceiving Ebay of money they are rightly owed - does this sit OK in your conscious?

Thank Post
    Ugh. Well now I feel stupid!

Quote Originally Posted by jamesreedersmith View Post
    This however is fraud and effectively theft, you are deceiving Ebay of money they are rightly owed - does this sit OK in your conscious?
    Didn't think of it like that!

Thank Post
    Sorry, you have been taken for a ride. Should have told him to go away.

Thank Post
    I believe in such situations, if you tell eBay that the guy walked away from the purchase, it requires you to at the least offer a second chance offer. I'm not 100% sure on this, but I would guess they are clued up to people just collecting and not paying ebay fees. Making a Second Chance Offer

Thank Post
    10% ebay fee on £870 = £87 less = £783
    No paypal fee if cash
    If paid £800 then his argument is that he has saved you £17, but then as stated, a termination has to be raised, and accepted by both parties (and ebay, though generally it's an automated process).

I wouldn't worry about your conscious as far as ebay is concerned.. they make way too much money to let that be an issue (10% imo is crazy), but then as also stated, if you didn't actually agree to it, then you should have forced the issue. For the sake of £17 out of what is a much larger sum, you run the risk (although slight) of ebay catching on, or the buyer not agreeing to the termination and you footing the fees, and not being able to exchange feedback.

I always think in these cases do ebay actually check message history etc on random spot checks to see if the transaction termination is genuine, especially when they are set to lose not far off £100. Bit of a gamble imo.. if the buyer won it at the stated amount, and as far as you were concerned they came to pay that in full, then that is how it should be.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Thread Information