+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Results 61 to 70 of 70
General Chat Thread, How far... in General; Originally Posted by timbo343 To all those that live near work as in walking distance, do you get any grief ...
  1. #61

    sonofsanta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Lincolnshire, UK
    Posts
    5,372
    Thank Post
    955
    Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Blog Entries
    47
    Rep Power
    711
    Quote Originally Posted by timbo343 View Post
    To all those that live near work as in walking distance, do you get any grief off the kids?
    When I lived & worked in the same time, I used to get shouts of "Jesus!" at me down the aisles of Tesco on a Friday night as I picked up some beer. Any night out inevitably meant seeing some kids as well (Skegness is famously lax on underage drinking). Was never too bad though, probably cos as a technician I was never any sort of authoritative/disciplinary figure.

  2. #62

    Oaktech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Bournemouth
    Posts
    3,204
    Thank Post
    941
    Thanked 642 Times in 501 Posts
    Rep Power
    287
    Quote Originally Posted by timbo343 View Post
    To all those that live near work as in walking distance, do you get any grief off the kids?
    I had one kid have a bit of a go at me for effectively banning games, but thats the only time. I've had a few giggles when I turn up at the Lidl down the road in my cycling gear (I wear tights with shorts over them) to buy dinner, but rarely do they say anything.

  3. #63

    Garacesh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    3,412
    Thank Post
    1,303
    Thanked 498 Times in 367 Posts
    Rep Power
    239
    I usually get a fair bit of "Jesus! Oy, Jesus!" and "Sir! Sir! Sir! Sir! Sir!", and the occasional "Dick 'ead!" when I ignore them. It's nothing fancy, and certainly nothing I haven't heard before. Just one of the many perks of the job

  4. #64
    tommej's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Lincolnshire
    Posts
    746
    Thank Post
    39
    Thanked 152 Times in 110 Posts
    Rep Power
    81
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    When I lived & worked in the same time, I used to get shouts of "Jesus!" at me down the aisles of Tesco on a Friday night as I picked up some beer. Any night out inevitably meant seeing some kids as well (Skegness is famously lax on underage drinking). Was never too bad though, probably cos as a technician I was never any sort of authoritative/disciplinary figure.
    Ditto but for Boston/Spalding :P

  5. #65

    sonofsanta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Lincolnshire, UK
    Posts
    5,372
    Thank Post
    955
    Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Blog Entries
    47
    Rep Power
    711
    Quote Originally Posted by tommej View Post
    Ditto but for Boston/Spalding :P
    Well, what else is there to do in Lincolnshire? It's either start drinking or stare at a cabbage.

  6. #66

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    5
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by timbo343 View Post
    To all those that live near work as in walking distance, do you get any grief off the kids?
    No problem with the kids, I walk with my staff ID on show and and as soon as someone spots it they nudge each other and wisper "Teacher behind you" (my ID is the same as a teachers ID)

  7. #67

    StevieM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Liverpool
    Posts
    1,210
    Thank Post
    516
    Thanked 566 Times in 372 Posts
    Rep Power
    148
    Quote Originally Posted by timbo343 View Post
    To all those that live near work as in walking distance, do you get any grief off the kids?
    There seems to be a bit of a common 'Jesus' thing between us techie lot. I used to get it regularly; not from kids from school - just a group of teenagers in the park when I was walking my dog. They thought I was cool, though, when my response was to raise my hand and say 'Bless you, child'. Now that I've shaved my head, grown a big beard and moved house, I get called 'Alan' (from The Hangover - apparently), to which I also respond with a smile and a wave, so these guys think I'm pretty cool too.

    As for kids from school, they usually offer one of two responses: they are either pleased to see me and get all excited, or they just ignore me. There was one kid, who lives just around the corner, who spotted me out in the street as everyone was seeing in the New Year. She shouted me, then ran down the street, jumped into my arms and gave me a big hug, closely followed by her mum (who, thankfully, didn't do the jumping bit!).

  8. #68
    SiliconAlley_Sam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    584
    Thank Post
    228
    Thanked 117 Times in 92 Posts
    Rep Power
    54
    Half hour to and from work for me. It's never really bothered me but I've been working from home a bit lately and I love being able to be productive at lunch time (do a food shop, clean out the animals, have a quick run, clean the kitchen) and the extra half hour you gain at the end of the day makes such a difference. Working standing up too! So not a fan of being sat down for long periods of time.

  9. #69

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Ipswich
    Posts
    147
    Thank Post
    3
    Thanked 24 Times in 24 Posts
    Rep Power
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by SiliconAlley_Sam View Post
    Half hour to and from work for me. It's never really bothered me but I've been working from home a bit lately and I love being able to be productive at lunch time (do a food shop, clean out the animals, have a quick run, clean the kitchen) and the extra half hour you gain at the end of the day makes such a difference. Working standing up too! So not a fan of being sat down for long periods of time.
    I love working from home and I get more done too but there seems to be a general dislike of the idea from the higher-ups. I used to average a day or two a month under my old boss but I've not had a single day working from home under my new one. When I suggested it he said "we'll see if it becomes necessary"

  10. #70
    SiliconAlley_Sam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    584
    Thank Post
    228
    Thanked 117 Times in 92 Posts
    Rep Power
    54
    Quote Originally Posted by Sagima View Post
    I love working from home and I get more done too but there seems to be a general dislike of the idea from the higher-ups. I used to average a day or two a month under my old boss but I've not had a single day working from home under my new one. When I suggested it he said "we'll see if it becomes necessary"
    I've got so much more done! Much less distracting, but similarly, my boss isn't a fan of the idea. Hoping I'll be able to show just how much I've got done and be able to convince him that it'd be doable maybe one day every few weeks or something.



SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Similar Threads

  1. How far do you travel to work, how long does it take?
    By jonny_2010 in forum Educational IT Jobs
    Replies: 137
    Last Post: 13th July 2011, 06:54 PM
  2. Back up tapes - how far back?
    By sonofsanta in forum How do you do....it?
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 10th March 2010, 11:55 AM
  3. How far to push suppliers for deals..
    By Little-Miss in forum General Chat
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 5th July 2009, 05:12 PM
  4. How far to take interactivity?
    By mossj in forum EduGeek Joomla 1.5 Package
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 19th March 2009, 04:07 PM
  5. [Joke] How far have we come?
    By somabc in forum Jokes/Interweb Things
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 25th February 2009, 10:34 AM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •