+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
General Chat Thread, How far... in General; Originally Posted by timbo343 To all those that live near work as in walking distance, do you get any grief ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by timbo343 View Post
    To all those that live near work as in walking distance, do you get any grief off the kids?
    When I lived & worked in the same time, I used to get shouts of "Jesus!" at me down the aisles of Tesco on a Friday night as I picked up some beer. Any night out inevitably meant seeing some kids as well (Skegness is famously lax on underage drinking). Was never too bad though, probably cos as a technician I was never any sort of authoritative/disciplinary figure.

Thank Post
    To all those that live near work as in walking distance, do you get any grief off the kids?
    I had one kid have a bit of a go at me for effectively banning games, but thats the only time. I've had a few giggles when I turn up at the Lidl down the road in my cycling gear (I wear tights with shorts over them) to buy dinner, but rarely do they say anything.

Thank Post
    I usually get a fair bit of "Jesus! Oy, Jesus!" and "Sir! Sir! Sir! Sir! Sir!", and the occasional "Dick 'ead!" when I ignore them. It's nothing fancy, and certainly nothing I haven't heard before. Just one of the many perks of the job

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    When I lived & worked in the same time, I used to get shouts of "Jesus!" at me down the aisles of Tesco on a Friday night as I picked up some beer. Any night out inevitably meant seeing some kids as well (Skegness is famously lax on underage drinking). Was never too bad though, probably cos as a technician I was never any sort of authoritative/disciplinary figure.
    Ditto but for Boston/Spalding :P

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tommej View Post
    Ditto but for Boston/Spalding :P
    Well, what else is there to do in Lincolnshire? It's either start drinking or stare at a cabbage.

Thank Post
    No problem with the kids, I walk with my staff ID on show and and as soon as someone spots it they nudge each other and wisper "Teacher behind you" (my ID is the same as a teachers ID)

Thank Post
    There seems to be a bit of a common 'Jesus' thing between us techie lot. I used to get it regularly; not from kids from school - just a group of teenagers in the park when I was walking my dog. They thought I was cool, though, when my response was to raise my hand and say 'Bless you, child'. Now that I've shaved my head, grown a big beard and moved house, I get called 'Alan' (from The Hangover - apparently), to which I also respond with a smile and a wave, so these guys think I'm pretty cool too.

As for kids from school, they usually offer one of two responses: they are either pleased to see me and get all excited, or they just ignore me. There was one kid, who lives just around the corner, who spotted me out in the street as everyone was seeing in the New Year. She shouted me, then ran down the street, jumped into my arms and gave me a big hug, closely followed by her mum (who, thankfully, didn't do the jumping bit!).

Thank Post
    Half hour to and from work for me. It's never really bothered me but I've been working from home a bit lately and I love being able to be productive at lunch time (do a food shop, clean out the animals, have a quick run, clean the kitchen) and the extra half hour you gain at the end of the day makes such a difference. Working standing up too! So not a fan of being sat down for long periods of time.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SiliconAlley_Sam View Post
    Half hour to and from work for me. It's never really bothered me but I've been working from home a bit lately and I love being able to be productive at lunch time (do a food shop, clean out the animals, have a quick run, clean the kitchen) and the extra half hour you gain at the end of the day makes such a difference. Working standing up too! So not a fan of being sat down for long periods of time.
    I love working from home and I get more done too but there seems to be a general dislike of the idea from the higher-ups. I used to average a day or two a month under my old boss but I've not had a single day working from home under my new one. When I suggested it he said "we'll see if it becomes necessary"

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sagima View Post
    I love working from home and I get more done too but there seems to be a general dislike of the idea from the higher-ups. I used to average a day or two a month under my old boss but I've not had a single day working from home under my new one. When I suggested it he said "we'll see if it becomes necessary"
    I've got so much more done! Much less distracting, but similarly, my boss isn't a fan of the idea. Hoping I'll be able to show just how much I've got done and be able to convince him that it'd be doable maybe one day every few weeks or something.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345