+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Soundcloud Alternative for Schools in General; Does anyone know of a site similar to Soundcloud, that's better for use in school? The music department are wanting ...
    Thank Post

Soundcloud Alternative for Schools

Does anyone know of a site similar to Soundcloud, that's better for use in school?

The music department are wanting to have a way that students can post music and maybe videos, and allow other students to view them and comment on them, but it's got to be private to the school for obvious reasons.

I was thinking maybe Edmodo, but I don't think you can upload MP3 tracks?

If no specific site, any ideas on a way this can be achieved?

Thank Post
    Short of using Dropbox or a share on your server I'm not sure if you'll find something that's more private than Soundcloud while maintaining the ease of use that Soundcloud has. Perhaps youtube with private videos? It may sound like I'm joking but seriously, you can create a playlist for all of the students / class work and have the videos unlisted so the public won't access them randomly.

Obviously that's dependent on if you need Google for any of your curriculum, it would work for us because we use App Inventor in ICT so the kids all have Google accounts.

3. Thanks to Arreks from:

gtg93 (16th July 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arreks View Post
    Short of using Dropbox or a share on your server I'm not sure if you'll find something that's more private than Soundcloud while maintaining the ease of use that Soundcloud has. Perhaps youtube with private videos? It may sound like I'm joking but seriously, you can create a playlist for all of the students / class work and have the videos unlisted so the public won't access them randomly.

Obviously that's dependent on if you need Google for any of your curriculum, it would work for us because we use App Inventor in ICT so the kids all have Google accounts.
    Thanks - I think youtube is a no go from the schools perspective. Soundcloud would be great, if only it wasn't for the public comments side of it... The more I think of it, the more it needs to be totally seperate, so the student logins only work on the school's posts, so only something like Edmodo (where we'd have a private network) would do the job.

I think I'm asking too much now I've thought about it

Thank Post
    Do you have a vle? Is there a way of doing it on there?

6. Thanks to Pyroman from:

gtg93 (16th July 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyroman View Post
    Do you have a vle? Is there a way of doing it on there?
    We don't have one unfortunately - something the school never wanted.

I have been looking at Dolphinphp to put something together myself and host it on our web server... Anyone ever used it? Or know of a free alternative? There's other departments wanting to do something similar, and it seems this might answer everyones questions.

Obviously, this would need to be monitored, and only pupils who need it for lessons would get an account to restrict misuse. Obviously, personal messages would also need disabling.

Thank Post
    For anyone with a similar interest in the future - I've found Elgg. It's used to create a social network style site and has a lot of support online... Seems we'll be able to do exactly what we want with it.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread