+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, UPS sounds like a Geiger Counter in General; Click click clickity click .. thunk .. clickity click .. thunk .. It's an APC 1500VA model that had been ...

Thank Post

UPS sounds like a Geiger Counter

Click click clickity click.. thunk.. clickity click.. thunk..

It's an APC 1500VA model that had been sat in our comms room for quite some time, unused in favour of beefier 3000VA models with additional power packs. Got a new battery for it, fitted it, plugged it in and.. Well, this doesn't sound healthy.

I've made a sound recording of what it's like. Between 2 and 3 seconds I plug it in, direct to the mains, using a 13A Fused IEC lead. No extension cords of any type, nothing even plugged into the other socket (double wall socket). At about 16 seconds I unplug the mains lead and hold the O button to power it down. You can listen to the recording here. (Clyp.it)

The only advice Google has given me mention of is the button on the back for modifying the sensitivity but this is to no avail.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I would have it serviced by and authorised APC rep. You don't want an UPS catching on fire or sending a surge through equipment.

Thank Post
    +1 that. Not cool to burn the school down! Could be the new Battery is faulty or the connectors are dirty or dodgy. Also a new Battery can take a long time to charge up enough to support a load test. I've seen a few where the old battery has split and caused damage due to corrosion.

Thank Post
    Nothing is connected to the UPS at-present and it isn't plugged in, just to be safe There was no load at the time of that recording, either.

Going to give Powerchute a test when I can, see if that enlightens me any further.

Thank Post
    Erm..... bin. I had one go up in smoke a few months back. NOT good. And my room still smells

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,715 Times in 1,526 Posts
    Put a load on it something non important like an old pc and try that but don't leave it alone.

Ben

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by seawolf View Post
    I would have it serviced by and authorised APC rep. You don't want an UPS catching on fire or sending a surge through equipment.
    Uh-oh. How much is that going to set me back?

Quote Originally Posted by southhamster View Post
    +1 that. Not cool to burn the school down! Could be the new Battery is faulty or the connectors are dirty or dodgy. Also a new Battery can take a long time to charge up enough to support a load test. I've seen a few where the old battery has split and caused damage due to corrosion.
    Common census from the interwebs is that it's rapidly flicking between Battery and Mains power, so I'm thinking is the mains not providing enough power? But it's (AFAIK) a standard 3-pin British standard mains plug and the 450VA UPS runs fine from the mains, so I don't see what the problem would be. Also, it's not in my school. It's in my bedroom.

The UPS might be buggered, but I certainly hope not Not after spending £80 on a new battery, anyway..
    Last edited by Garacesh; 16th July 2014 at 12:51 PM.

Thank Post
    I was told by a UPS reseller than modern UPS' are built nothing like the old ones and you'll get away with one change of batteries but more than likely have to replace totally after 5-6 years.

We had a 4 year old, very expensive (when new) APC RT10000 and the inverter went (which meant the batteries couldn't be charged). That too made a clunking noise and the whole thing had to be replaced (I went for Eaton over APC in the end).

Thank Post
    I've had one do that many years ago. In the end we just binned it.

Better to be safe than sorry.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread