+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Hows this rig? in General; Hey Guys Just wondering what you think of this setup and if you have any recommendations for me? Buying this ...

Thank Post

Hows this rig?

Hey Guys

Just wondering what you think of this setup and if you have any recommendations for me? Buying this to replace my Alienware Laptop....

Hows this rig?-screen-shot-2014-07-14-11.36.32.png
    Hows this rig?-screen-shot-2014-07-14-11.36.47.png

Any suggestions welcomed Cheers

Thank Post
    Pictures don't seem to be working @Dos_Box, right click and Open in new tab seems to sort it for now

Thank Post
    Have you tried using PCPartPicker? It will also help find you the cheapest prices.
    If your primary use is gaming, an i7 is wasteful.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,458 Times in 1,002 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Related article, as it's nice and up to date and TechReport are a very thorough review site, so I'd trust their opinion: TR's July 2014 System Guide - The Tech Report - Page 1

All in all, though, decent components (hurrah! You picked a good PSU!) for the most part. You could save a few quid on the SSD by getting the Crucial MX100 512GB but they're not as proven as the 840 EVO by virtue of being newer to market, though Crucial themselves have an excellent track record and there's no reason why the MX100 won't be just as reliable as the Samsung.

i7 is complete overkill. I'd argue that even an i5 is overkill if you're only gaming, but it does future proof you somewhat, so if you have the money then you may as well. If you want to overclock (and if you don't, you don't need the Z97 board - H will suffice) the i5-4690K is as much CPU as you need. Get a proper cooler for overclocking, stock is fine if you're going to run out the box but you're limiting your OC without a proper aftermarket cooler. No overclock? H97 board, i5-4460, stock cooler.

Never heard of the case manufacturer, and I wouldn't go near an unknown costing £100 myself. Coolermaster / Corsair are my preference, keep it simple and understated, well engineered and not flashy. I've bought weird cases in the past and they always end up being more of a PITA than they're worth. Flashy LEDs tend to be a bit annoying when they're in your peripheral vision, as well.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I would personally buy a brand new TV, a PS4 and an XBONE for that kind of monnies.

Thank Post
    @sonofsanta, thankyou for all your helpful advice! I know from your other post that you have had no problems with Crucial but I am still a little worried I think I'll stick with Samsung more personal preference than anything else I already have a third party Corsair H80 for my CPU so I'm going to use that to Overclock, never properly over clocked anything so I may start with this new rig!

It's interesting about the case I may have a look at some other Alternatives don't want to be spending more than £100 on one though, have any suggestions ?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by abillybob View Post
    Pictures don't seem to be working @Dos_Box, right click and Open in new tab seems to sort it for now
    was doing this in a few threads earlier.... @ZeroHour

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,990 Times in 1,370 Posts
    Blog Entries
    have any suggestions ?
    Keep the Alienware and set it up like a desktop?

9. Thanks to X-13 from:

plexer (14th July 2014)

Thank Post

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,638 Times in 1,463 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    Keep the Alienware and set it up like a desktop?
    I thought that too or if this is for work get them to buy the alienware from you for work

Ben

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,458 Times in 1,002 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The Corsair cases are almost uniformally well received/reviewed - in particular, the 200R as a cheaper option, the 300R for a bit more space and the 450D for a premium finish. They start getting expensive after that.

The Coolermaster HAF cases get mentioned a lot, the 912 is £73. I always liked the look of the CM 690 myself, a bit more restrained and refined with a good feature set at £79. The HAF X may be a bit pricey at £133.

Fractal Design are good for quiet cases if that's your priority, we've used the R4 in school for a recording PC in Music.

ThermalTake and Antec make good cases as well but tbh, I've not kept up with the case market much, too much happens and I'm not in the market for one right now.

(only used eBuyer as I find the site easy to sort through, shop around for your chosen case.)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,005 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    Never heard of the case manufacturer
    I'm surprised you haven't heard of Aerocool. Their cases get reviewed quite often by the likes of Bit-tech and are sold by Overclockers and Scan. That said, most of Aerocool's cases are pretty mediocre compared to the competition.

Corsair, Fractal Design, Silverstone and Steacom all make good cases. Also worth mentioning is HardwareCanucks' YouTube channel as that has lots of useful case reviews too.

www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLknCNmc8uMa4w2kK5ybqLWss2tS3I2VNo

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Hows this rig?-troll-sad-troll-face.png

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    The Corsair cases are almost uniformally well received/reviewed - in particular, the 200R as a cheaper option, the 300R for a bit more space and the 450D for a premium finish. They start getting expensive after that.

The Coolermaster HAF cases get mentioned a lot, the 912 is £73. I always liked the look of the CM 690 myself, a bit more restrained and refined with a good feature set at £79. The HAF X may be a bit pricey at £133.

Fractal Design are good for quiet cases if that's your priority, we've used the R4 in school for a recording PC in Music.

ThermalTake and Antec make good cases as well but tbh, I've not kept up with the case market much, too much happens and I'm not in the market for one right now.

(only used eBuyer as I find the site easy to sort through, shop around for your chosen case.)
    Hmmm I quite like the look of the Corsair 750D any experience with that?

Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    I thought that too or if this is for work get them to buy the alienware from you for work

Ben
    The reason I don't want to keep my Alienware is just because work have bought me the latest and best MBP which can play most games anyway and now I very rarely take the Alienware anywhere away from my desk at home! So my point is what's the point in having a laptop when for the same price I can get a more powerful desktop.
    I really wanted a PCI-E SSD such as the OCZ RevoDrive but they're bit too pricy at the mo going to wait a year or so for prices to start coming down :P
    Last edited by abillybob; 14th July 2014 at 01:08 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,005 Posts
    Hmmm I quite like the look of the Corsair 750D any experience with that?
    The 750D would be a very good choice. I have its baby brother - the 250D.

I really wanted a PCI-E SSD such as the OCZ RevoDrive but they're bit too pricy at the mo going to wait a year or so for prices to start coming down :P
    I think you'd be better off waiting for M.2 or SATA Express SSDs to get a bit cheaper. Avoid anything made by OCZ.
    Last edited by Arthur; 14th July 2014 at 01:26 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast