+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Certifications. I've passed a few, but what would you aim for next? in General; Hi all I made a new years resolution to pass some technical exams this year. I've got a lot of ...

Thank Post

Certifications. I've passed a few, but what would you aim for next?

Hi all

I made a new years resolution to pass some technical exams this year. I've got a lot of experience/time-served in IT Support/Management in schools...but never really had any qualifications other than my degree.

Since January 1st I've passed both the A+ exams, Network+ and Security+

My main reasons for wanting technical certs is to:

1. Have an achievement every once in a while (an exam pass)
    2. To have a goal to work towards
    3. To learn new stuff
    4. To make myself as attractive as possible to employers when the managed service i'm working in eventually ends (yep, BSF), as i'd like to be a regular Network Manager again.

My question is where to go next with my certs? The A+ exam wasn't a challenge due to my existing experience (i only really decided to sit these exams because there's a possibility that i might be in a position where i can teach the course at a local adult education centre), but i really enjoyed learning the theory of Network+ and Security+.

I'm wondering if i should go down the Microsoft, Cisco, VMware, ITL or Prince2 route now.

My experience of Windows Server, AD, DNS, DHCP etc is quite good, however, i've been stuck in CC4 land for a few years now.

My ultimate goal is to again be an IT/Network Manager running my own team (i did this for 4 years prior to BSF), so what certs do you recommend next?

Thank Post
    Itil doesn't carry much weight in secondary/college edu, but does seem to be becoming a standard requirement in "real world" / uni tech jobs I'm seeing, along with prince 2 etc but these are not really technical, I don't think some of the CompTIA stuff is really "technical" either, more "technical theory"...?

Personally I found doing a ms mcsa in Svr 2003/xp the most rewarding cert as it was for multiple exams passed and I came away with something I really thought I had earned.

Was the most useful technical cert I have done as well, and I have kept it up to day so now it's valid for 2008 and I'm just about to embark on the 2012 update exam

Maybe something like that with multiple steps would give you a long term goal but with some nice wins on the way?

Thank Post
    VMware's VCP 5 and Hyper V 74-409 certification would be very beneficial. Server 2008 and 2012 are also very good and will give you an edge over the other candidates when you go for an interview.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,169 Times in 898 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I would disagree about ITIL: it's not about the technical aspects so to speak, but it's a big tick on your CV with regards to best practice. I would probably rank an ITIL certification above most basic technical ones.

Thank Post
    completely agrees with the above about ITIL certification. It is really good certification.......

Thank Post
    I do think it ITIL is a good cert to have, that's why I have it. What I'm saying is in my experience I find schools and colleges often don't know what it is and don't list it as a required or even a good to have. As the guy was interested in getting back into a NM at a school, I thought it worth mentioning.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,169 Times in 898 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Exactly. The NM *typically* doesn't need to be highly technically qualified/experienced. Mileage will vary depending on each school's setup obviously. Some schools have NM's that are entirely hands on, some have NM's that are entirely hands off and exist purely to balance the budget, sign off on the orders and manage the staff. A very good question to be asking in an interview for an NM too is how the role of the NM ties in with the technical team; is it intrinsically part of it, is it purely management, oversight, quality control, auditing, cpd or would you find yourself crawling in ceiling spaces covered head to toe in several years worth of brickdust, cat5 clippings, screws and mouse excrement?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread