+ Post New Thread
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Another rushed law, another death knell for privacy in General; Politicians are not exempt Governments are, people can fall but the foundation of government can't, happens all the time....
    Thank Post
    Politicians are not exempt Governments are, people can fall but the foundation of government can't, happens all the time.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,596 Times in 2,014 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Disease View Post
    Politicians are not exempt Governments are, people can fall but the foundation of government can't, happens all the time.
    No, the government is not exempt either. The government are the "executive" arm of the legislative system. The judiciary is separate, and operates without government interference. It means that the government can and does get sued or is found to have acted illegally in courts. Happens quite regularly in fact.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Whether or not they've been doing it illegally for any length of time, the law is an important change as it makes it legal. I've already shown that corruption is a thing, and the idea of "nothing to hide, nothing to fear" is demonstrably fallacious. How can you still be OK with it?!
    Because I really do not fear it, I am currently under the Official Secrets act, I am not allowed to travel to certain countries as are all people who leave the armed forces (well those who didn't read the small print may not be aware ) so maybe I am just a bit more conditioned to no privacy

Thank Post
    No, the government is not exempt either. The government are the "executive" arm of the legislative system. The judiciary is separate, and operates without government interference. It means that the government can and does get sued or is found to have acted illegally in courts. Happens quite regularly in fact.
    Do you honestly believe that on a major issue that could bring down the government it would happen or would laws just be forced through to protect it. Name one major thing that any government has been successfully prosecuted over?

You see what is happening in Israel or the illegal rendition flights in UK, or Tony Blair taking the country to war under false pretense? What happened, nothing.
    Last edited by Disease; 16th July 2014 at 01:45 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,747 Times in 2,321 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Because I really do not fear it, I am currently under the Official Secrets act, I am not allowed to travel to certain countries as are all people who leave the armed forces (well those who didn't read the small print may not be aware ) so maybe I am just a bit more conditioned to no privacy
    Straying into dangerous water maybe but your views are certainly coloured heavily by that, the training itself is designed to break down individual thinking, defer to those above you, have faith they are doing the right thing and to possibly put your life on the line with that assumption.

While I am glad that there are people who can and will do that it can heavily alter your point of view in such matters which may be taken advantage of by certain far less honourable parties (political ones) for their own ends.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Straying into dangerous water maybe but your views are certainly coloured heavily by that, the training itself is designed to break down individual thinking, defer to those above you, have faith they are doing the right thing and to possibly put your life on the line with that assumption.

While I am glad that there are people who can and will do that it can heavily alter your point of view in such matters which may be taken advantage of by certain far less honourable parties (political ones) for their own ends.
    See that's where you are wrong, the forces does not remove individual thinking, it hungers for it, what it does do is foster is working as a team. The old stereotype of blindly following order does not exist anymore.

Thank Post
    The good thing is though at least this thread has remained rep civil without people throwing around negative rep

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The good thing is though at least this thread has remained rep civil without people throwing around negative rep
    No such thing as neg rep any more...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,747 Times in 2,321 Posts
    Blog Entries
    See that's where you are wrong, the forces does not remove individual thinking, it hungers for it, what it does do is foster is working as a team. The old stereotype of blindly following order does not exist anymore.
    Good to hear

Thank Post
    Attacking people for *wanting* privacy on the internet is Ad Hominem and rather odd to say the least.
    That works both ways, attacking people for not *reacting the same* at this whole thing isn't any better.

The strange thing is, if they used this information to prevent an actual plot we either A) won't believe them or B) Wont care. If something did happen like 9/11 I am sure everyone will be on the band wagon on how can we prevent it.

Here's a serious question though; If an incident like 9/11 did occur and your families, those close to you, your friends perished but you knew for certain that this "non privacy" law could of prevented it - how would you feel?

And no I'm not actually agreeing with the Gov on this one, I have made it clear how I feel but I am just not reacting the same way

Oh and god forbid something like that does happen again in any Country.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,155 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mthomas08 View Post
    Here's a serious question though; If an incident like 9/11 did occur and your families, those close to you, your friends perished but you knew for certain that this "non privacy" law could of prevented it - how would you feel?
    Well, considering there are already laws in place that would let them gather the information without having to spy on everyone else...

Like wasshisface who killed Lee Rigby. [IIRC]They already knew about him. They were already watching him. They let it happen by doing nothing.[/IIRC]

There's been a few cases like that, where criminals are known and being watched, but are allowed to do [thing] and are then used as a reason we should give up rights.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    Like wasshisface who killed Lee Rigby. [IIRC]They already knew about him. They were already watching him. They let it happen by doing nothing.[/IIRC]

There's been a few cases like that, where criminals are known and being watched, but are allowed to do [thing] and are then used as a reason we should give up rights.
    This is a slippery slope. They LET it happen? How? By not locking them up as soon as they knew they were 'bad guys'?
    Or are you arguing that because they didn't prevent it, they therefore must have LET it happen?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mthomas08 View Post
    Here's a serious question though; If an incident like a car crash did occur and your family, those close to you, your friends, perished but you knew for certain that a "car ban" law could have prevented it - how would you feel?

See, I can create false dilemmas also.

14. 2 Thanks to localzuk:

sparkeh (16th July 2014), Theblacksheep (16th July 2014)

Thank Post
    Here's a serious question though; If an incident like a car crash did occur and your family, those close to you, your friends, perished but you knew for certain that a "car ban" law could have prevented it - how would you feel?

See, I can create false dilemmas also.
    Technically it's not a false dilemma. The words "knew for certain" were added.
    However, yours is not technically relevant because there isn't a car ban law being proposed.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,817 Times in 1,224 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DPrince View Post
    Technically it's not a false dilemma. The words "knew for certain" were added.
    However, yours is not technically relevant because there isn't a car ban law being proposed.
    Totally relevant, it shows how the 'what if it was your family' dilemma has no place in sensible debate.

Luckily Hopefully laws are not made on the basis on 'what if it happened to the family of the person drafting the law'.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast