+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Home Fibre Broadband Recommendation in General; Hi Everyone, My home BT FTTC service is up for renewal, it looks like there are savings to be had ...

Thank Post

Home Fibre Broadband Recommendation

Hi Everyone,

My home BT FTTC service is up for renewal, it looks like there are savings to be had from other providers, EE, TalkTalk, and the like.

Would anyone be prepared to recommend or slate providers?

Simon

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Sky were always quite good with me on a customer service level. Speeds were OK. They were a PITA when I moved and told them I wouldn't be staying because they couldn't get near Virgin for speed or price but I know who's customer service I prefer!

Thank Post
    I upgraded to Sky fibre last Friday and so far so good. I rang them up and got a deal if I activated Sky Sports 5 on my TV package (it was free anyway so there was no downside). I'll pay 10pm for 12 months then 20pm for 6 months. They're doing loads of broadband deals for activating Sky Sports 5 to new and current customers (you can smell the desperation a mile off) so might be worth a phone call.

I can't get Virgin where I am but I've heard good things about their fibre. Nothing but bad stuff about their copper though.

Thank Post
    I'm thinking about going Plusnet when I move out in a couple of weeks - speed estimates on the line seem decent to the house. Unfortunately I couldn't talk the Misses into getting the top speed package!

Thank Post
    I've been with Virgin for over 2 years now. I'm currently on the 152Mbps package for 25/Month (Retention Deal - Effective 23/Month) and I don't have much trouble with it at all. Had the odd hiccup hear and there but nothing worse than what I got with Be previously, who are now owned by Sky.
    Last edited by Zoom7000; 9th July 2014 at 02:01 PM.

Thank Post
    I think on price, TalkTalk are the frontrunner, I'm just concerned about reliability/performance. My line currently syncs at 80meg down 20meg up and can speedtest to around 75meg depending on the time of day.

Thank Post
    Virgin Broadband all the way . Im due to ring up to renew and get best deal . Later this month im getting free upgrade to 152 meg . Been with Virgin for as long as i can remember . No issues at all

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by seustice View Post
    I think on price, TalkTalk are the frontrunner, I'm just concerned about reliability/performance. My line currently syncs at 80meg down 20meg up and can speedtest to around 75meg depending on the time of day.
    Are you in a Virgin area? I'd definitely go with them to nullify the line sync issues. I don't live too far from the exchange, but I was told that I'd only get 65Mbps down. It was a no brainer for me.

Thank Post
    I've been burned once by Virgin, not prepared to do it again, awful proxying and DNS issues throughout, they actually released me early from my contract it was so bad.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by klingklang View Post
    Virgin Broadband all the way . Im due to ring up to renew and get best deal . Later this month im getting free upgrade to 152 meg . Been with Virgin for as long as i can remember . No issues at all
    Make sure you haggle and haggle HARD! Don't be afraid to give your 30 day notice and watch them call you back and then haggle even harder! If you have a SuperHub 1, tell them their service has been utterly useless and they will need to do much better financially to make you stay than just give you a "free" SuperHub 2. Whatever you do, don't accept their 1st, 2nd or 3rd offer... Even ask to be put through to the Customer Retentions Manager.

11. Thanks to Zoom7000 from:

klingklang (9th July 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanks for info i will let you know how i get on

Thank Post
    Avoid EE, they used to be quite good but they now have issues at peak time and their customer service and tech support are both incompetent and lie. Plusnet are very good, was going to go with them but ended up with BT due to some silly season discount voucher code.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,645 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I am due to put in my periodic call to Virgin as my retention deals has ended.
    Last time I got a call on the day before our cut off with the guy just throwing things at us to stay. Always worth hanging on.

Never had an issue with Virgin. I handled transferring my Mother-in-Law's service during her house move and Sky were absolutely diabolical and made me vow to never use them myself or recommend them to anyone.

Thank Post
    Ive just moved to Virgin Broadband only 14 a month 80MB fibre. 18 months contract. I get around 65/75 MB as well from them.

Started out at 38 a month half price for 6 months. But after a number of call backs I got there in the end. Play them at there own game. SKy are amazing for you can get out of them giving 30 days notice but not in enough for sky anymore.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Love my BT Infinity, and the BT sports for every champions league game is a huge bonus for me too. It was one of the deciding factors in staying with them last renewal.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast