+ Post New Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10
General Chat Thread, Asset Management in General; We're thinking about moving away from Wasp as it's... well... rubbish. We'd prefer an on-site SQL solution because we need ...
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Northampton
    Posts
    77
    Thank Post
    14
    Thanked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Rep Power
    5

    Asset Management

    We're thinking about moving away from Wasp as it's... well... rubbish.

    We'd prefer an on-site SQL solution because we need to be able to export regularly to our helpdesk (Footprints). Of course if there is a cloud product that will allow this as a standard feature, ie. no headache inducing work-arounds, then great. We're happy with Footprints so won't be using any bundled help desks.

    I've looked at School Asset Manager which looks really good, although I'm not sure it'll do the above. I had a look at Parago's website and there's no info for techs so I'm not informed or impressed by it at all.

    Anyone got any recommendations?

  2. #2

    synaesthesia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Northamptonshire
    Posts
    5,871
    Thank Post
    574
    Thanked 998 Times in 770 Posts
    Blog Entries
    15
    Rep Power
    461
    We're using school asset manager, and it does the job. It won't export (at least not easily) to other systems but we're quite happy with not having all the eggs in one basket like that. You *always* end up with something lacking. School Asset Manager for instance is good as an asset manager but it's built in helpdesk system is rubbish. There was another couple whos names I forget who had either massively overwhelmingly complicated asset systems but good helpdesks, or good asset and helpdesks that we could barely figure out let alone any layman member of staff expected to use it!

  3. #3
    AJWhite1970's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Wiltshire
    Posts
    325
    Thank Post
    83
    Thanked 75 Times in 57 Posts
    Rep Power
    16
    OCS-NG and GLPI here, been using it for 5 years and does everything we need for asset registers, toners stock etc.

    Data Collector:- OCS Inventory NG | Home
    Front End:- GLPI - Gestionnaire libre de parc informatique

    Both cost 0.00

    Andrew

  4. 2 Thanks to AJWhite1970:

    AButters (9th July 2014), madurham (10th July 2014)

  5. #4

    Oaktech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Bournemouth
    Posts
    2,776
    Thank Post
    764
    Thanked 541 Times in 424 Posts
    Rep Power
    259
    Parago, Parago, Parago...

  6. #5
    Olliesaurus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    115
    Thank Post
    23
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Rep Power
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    We're using school asset manager, and it does the job. It won't export (at least not easily) to other systems but we're quite happy with not having all the eggs in one basket like that. You *always* end up with something lacking. School Asset Manager for instance is good as an asset manager but it's built in helpdesk system is rubbish. There was another couple whos names I forget who had either massively overwhelmingly complicated asset systems but good helpdesks, or good asset and helpdesks that we could barely figure out let alone any layman member of staff expected to use it!
    Just recently signed up for School Asset Manager, I believe they have made some significant changes to the help desk in the last month, with some decent updates coming through summer, might be worth taking another look at it. Sorry to derail

  7. #6
    truebluesteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    341
    Thank Post
    48
    Thanked 43 Times in 37 Posts
    Rep Power
    21
    We looked at SAM last year but decided against it because the one thing it couldn't do (easily at least) was check loan items in and out. We use that facility a lot and decided that despite the other shortcomings of Wasp, it was worth sticking with because of that.

  8. #7

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Northampton
    Posts
    77
    Thank Post
    14
    Thanked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Rep Power
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by AJWhite1970 View Post
    OCS-NG and GLPI here, been using it for 5 years and does everything we need for asset registers, toners stock etc.

    Data Collector:- OCS Inventory NG | Home
    Front End:- GLPI - Gestionnaire libre de parc informatique

    Both cost 0.00

    Andrew
    How do these work? The website looks like it was written by the Policeman from 'Allo 'Allo.

  9. #8

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Northampton
    Posts
    77
    Thank Post
    14
    Thanked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Rep Power
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Oaktech View Post
    Parago, Parago, Parago...
    Have you got any more info?

    Am I missing something or is that website as terrible as I think? It tells you nothing about the product, only the benefits of asset management that can be applied to any product.

  10. #9

    Oaktech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Bournemouth
    Posts
    2,776
    Thank Post
    764
    Thanked 541 Times in 424 Posts
    Rep Power
    259
    Quote Originally Posted by madurham View Post
    Have you got any more info?

    Am I missing something or is that website as terrible as I think? It tells you nothing about the product, only the benefits of asset management that can be applied to any product.
    The website is a bit general... However, what would you like to know?

    We are using it and are plenty happy with it. It costs us 1500 a year for our senior school as we have more than 1000 pupils, and 400 a year for our primary and freeschool as they have less than 500 students. Support is excellent and feature requests are actioned pretty quick. There is a mobile app and they will help with barcoding or asset collection if required. Fields are flexible and user definable, Reports are really easy to customize and you can extract any information you like out of it and you can export to a number of formats. There is no info for techs, because there is no actual requirement for techs to get involved, it runs in the cloud and any idiot can use it. Our finance officer set it up initially but we've taken it over because we have a bit more time!

  11. Thanks to Oaktech from:

    madurham (10th July 2014)

  12. #10

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Northampton
    Posts
    77
    Thank Post
    14
    Thanked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Rep Power
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Oaktech View Post
    The website is a bit general... However, what would you like to know?

    We are using it and are plenty happy with it. It costs us 1500 a year for our senior school as we have more than 1000 pupils, and 400 a year for our primary and freeschool as they have less than 500 students. Support is excellent and feature requests are actioned pretty quick. There is a mobile app and they will help with barcoding or asset collection if required. Fields are flexible and user definable, Reports are really easy to customize and you can extract any information you like out of it and you can export to a number of formats. There is no info for techs, because there is no actual requirement for techs to get involved, it runs in the cloud and any idiot can use it. Our finance officer set it up initially but we've taken it over because we have a bit more time!
    You covered everything. Sounds decent. I'll have to ask them about linking to our helpdesk.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Asset management software from Becta?
    By Stuart in forum School ICT Policies
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11th April 2014, 08:41 AM
  2. Clever asset management techniques?
    By starscream in forum Network and Classroom Management
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11th June 2007, 09:58 AM
  3. Asset Management/Tracking
    By Scotmk in forum How do you do....it?
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 7th June 2007, 08:54 AM
  4. IT and non IT asset management
    By plexer in forum General Chat
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 30th January 2007, 05:59 PM
  5. Online Asset Management tool?
    By CM786 in forum Wireless Networks
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 4th April 2006, 11:33 AM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •