+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Asset Management in General; We're thinking about moving away from Wasp as it's... well... rubbish. We'd prefer an on-site SQL solution because we need ...

Thank Post

Asset Management

We're thinking about moving away from Wasp as it's... well... rubbish.

We'd prefer an on-site SQL solution because we need to be able to export regularly to our helpdesk (Footprints). Of course if there is a cloud product that will allow this as a standard feature, ie. no headache inducing work-arounds, then great. We're happy with Footprints so won't be using any bundled help desks.

I've looked at School Asset Manager which looks really good, although I'm not sure it'll do the above. I had a look at Parago's website and there's no info for techs so I'm not informed or impressed by it at all.

Anyone got any recommendations?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We're using school asset manager, and it does the job. It won't export (at least not easily) to other systems but we're quite happy with not having all the eggs in one basket like that. You *always* end up with something lacking. School Asset Manager for instance is good as an asset manager but it's built in helpdesk system is rubbish. There was another couple whos names I forget who had either massively overwhelmingly complicated asset systems but good helpdesks, or good asset and helpdesks that we could barely figure out let alone any layman member of staff expected to use it!

Thank Post
    OCS-NG and GLPI here, been using it for 5 years and does everything we need for asset registers, toners stock etc.

Data Collector:- OCS Inventory NG | Home
    Front End:- GLPI - Gestionnaire libre de parc informatique

Both cost 0.00

Andrew

4. 2 Thanks to AJWhite1970:

AButters (9th July 2014), madurham (10th July 2014)

Thank Post
    Parago, Parago, Parago...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    We're using school asset manager, and it does the job. It won't export (at least not easily) to other systems but we're quite happy with not having all the eggs in one basket like that. You *always* end up with something lacking. School Asset Manager for instance is good as an asset manager but it's built in helpdesk system is rubbish. There was another couple whos names I forget who had either massively overwhelmingly complicated asset systems but good helpdesks, or good asset and helpdesks that we could barely figure out let alone any layman member of staff expected to use it!
    Just recently signed up for School Asset Manager, I believe they have made some significant changes to the help desk in the last month, with some decent updates coming through summer, might be worth taking another look at it. Sorry to derail

Thank Post
    We looked at SAM last year but decided against it because the one thing it couldn't do (easily at least) was check loan items in and out. We use that facility a lot and decided that despite the other shortcomings of Wasp, it was worth sticking with because of that.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AJWhite1970 View Post
    OCS-NG and GLPI here, been using it for 5 years and does everything we need for asset registers, toners stock etc.

Data Collector:- OCS Inventory NG | Home
    Front End:- GLPI - Gestionnaire libre de parc informatique

Both cost 0.00

Andrew
    How do these work? The website looks like it was written by the Policeman from 'Allo 'Allo.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Oaktech View Post
    Parago, Parago, Parago...
    Have you got any more info?

Am I missing something or is that website as terrible as I think? It tells you nothing about the product, only the benefits of asset management that can be applied to any product.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by madurham View Post
    Have you got any more info?

Am I missing something or is that website as terrible as I think? It tells you nothing about the product, only the benefits of asset management that can be applied to any product.
    The website is a bit general... However, what would you like to know?

We are using it and are plenty happy with it. It costs us 1500 a year for our senior school as we have more than 1000 pupils, and 400 a year for our primary and freeschool as they have less than 500 students. Support is excellent and feature requests are actioned pretty quick. There is a mobile app and they will help with barcoding or asset collection if required. Fields are flexible and user definable, Reports are really easy to customize and you can extract any information you like out of it and you can export to a number of formats. There is no info for techs, because there is no actual requirement for techs to get involved, it runs in the cloud and any idiot can use it. Our finance officer set it up initially but we've taken it over because we have a bit more time!

11. Thanks to Oaktech from:

madurham (10th July 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Oaktech View Post
    The website is a bit general... However, what would you like to know?

We are using it and are plenty happy with it. It costs us 1500 a year for our senior school as we have more than 1000 pupils, and 400 a year for our primary and freeschool as they have less than 500 students. Support is excellent and feature requests are actioned pretty quick. There is a mobile app and they will help with barcoding or asset collection if required. Fields are flexible and user definable, Reports are really easy to customize and you can extract any information you like out of it and you can export to a number of formats. There is no info for techs, because there is no actual requirement for techs to get involved, it runs in the cloud and any idiot can use it. Our finance officer set it up initially but we've taken it over because we have a bit more time!
    You covered everything. Sounds decent. I'll have to ask them about linking to our helpdesk.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread