+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
General Chat Thread, All Out! Strike Action Thursday 10th July 2014 in General; Originally Posted by laserblazer Originally Posted by matt40k You've provide my point!! PARENTS, who have children, who work during school ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by laserblazer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by matt40k View Post
    You've provide my point!! PARENTS, who have children, who work during school hours but not at a school, ie they work in retail etc whilst the child is at school, have been told if they don't turn up, because the school is closed for pupils and they have no childcare. Need pay for a doctors note, or they lose a days wages.

This doesn't JUST affect workers in education, it effects everything who is connected to the education system!
    Isn't this the point of striking? Hurt as many people as possible. It's why airline workers strike on Bank Holidays.
    Not quite. I thought the point of a strike was more "Oi. Take notice of us, because we're working in conditions that aren't right. If we were all to quit because of it, what's happening just for today would instead happen every single day. Work with us and pressure the government to sort it out before the worst happens!"
    Sure, that's done by inconveniencing as many people as possible, but that's not the strict aim of a strike. That's why we also have picket lines for example, so that Joe Bloggs public can actually engage with us if they want more information. Better that than have them think the usual "Oh, selfish gits just want more money. Making me take a day off work to look after my kid. Grumble grumble."

Quote Originally Posted by Achandler View Post
    I'll be striking, not because I personally am particularly bothered by the only 1% payrise because I'm not in the position where this is a major issue to me. I can survive without the increase. However, when you see how much some people are paid and still they only get a 1% rise I think it is a little bit disgraceful that staff in schools can be near the minimum wage for the amount of work they put in.

Any government with half a brain cell would offer a sliding scale of payrises, with the lower end getting maybe 2-2.5% and then only 1% for people who earn more, then maybe even nothing for the higher end. Essentially bunching up salaries I know but in reality it is irrelevant. I also believe if lowly paid staff are willing to lose a days wage when they really need the money because of how they feel they are treated then others should support them if they are in the same Union, afterall that is what a union is meant for.
    Isn't that what we're fighting for? Aren't we asking for something like 4% for the lowest-of-the-low reducing down to 1% for the rest of us?
    I'm comfortable on my current salary. Not well off, but comfortable. Extra money would be nice, but I don't really need it. However, like I've said to my colleagues, I've been 'the little guy' before, struggling month-to-month to make ends meet, pay rent, etc. The strike, for me, isn't a demand for more pay, it's a demand to lower the burden of 'the little guy' a little, alleviate some of that stress, reduce the chance of them deciding to Foxtrot Oscar into a career they may not particularly want to be in, but pays more. The strike sends out a clear message that we understand their plight and we won't settle for it.
    Of course, I'm a little miffed about the below-inflation rises/effective paycuts, but that's secondary.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Our school confirmed we were shut to pupils last week, as we're a special school and have an almost equal staff to student ratio, we just can't run the risk of having a big % of staff off (via striking, or childcare issues) also it would be a logistical nightmare if pupils came in and then we decided to shut, as many of them come in prearranged taxis and/or 1 of 11 minibuses that do various routes.

EDIT: I should also mention i'm not in a union, and therefore not striking. hopefully get some machines updated to windows 7
    Last edited by Tesla; 9th July 2014 at 09:01 AM.

Thank Post
    Unfortunately strike action only works if you manage to get mass public support to put pressure on the Government. This simply won't happen, the Government will take the moral high road and point at all the people on strike; instead of educating our nations youth. (Just what I expect to happen)

Thank Post
    Lets's be honest, there could be 1-2 million people striking and the government wouldn't do anything. They'll count the extra money they have because they didn't have to pay anyone!

Near my borthers house, when the fire brigade were on strike, a row of terraces burnt down because the emergency fire brigade didn't get there quickly enough. Do you think the government care? It doesn't affect them so why will they, sure locals might be angry and say it shouldn't have happened but it costs the government nothing.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We just got told 3/4 of the striking unions completely screwed up notifying schools of the strike action putting it into jeopardy. Only one union contacted the right people at the school, the rest can't strike!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CAM View Post
    We just got told 3/4 of the striking unions completely screwed up notifying schools of the strike action putting it into jeopardy. Only one union contacted the right people at the school, the rest can't strike!
    Source, please? Or is that relating to only your school?

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    LA-Wide advice. I can't go any further (not willing to) but if you are not in NUT, check with your union rep before striking. Typical it is the support staff unions that screw it up when they are the ones most hit.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CAM View Post
    LA-Wide advice. I can't go any further (not willing to) but if you are not in NUT, check with your union rep before striking. Typical it is the support staff unions that screw it up when they are the ones most hit.
    I'll go and see our Rep now.
    I, however, am nowhere near Surrey, so this may not affect us. Thanks for the heads-up either way!

Edit: Just gone and spoke to our rep. UNISON are definitely good to strike up my end.
    Last edited by Garacesh; 9th July 2014 at 02:18 PM.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I have no links with Surrey CC, I just live here. Commuter land.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Garacesh View Post
    I'll go and see our Rep now.
    I, however, am nowhere near Surrey, so this may not affect us. Thanks for the heads-up either way!

Edit: Just gone and spoke to our rep. UNISON are definitely good to strike up my end.
    Only if you're in an LEA school, not if you're in an Academy or Free School.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Voluntary Aided as well. Quite why they didn't ballot is beyond me, unions have a lot of explaining to do. :/

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tech_guy View Post
    I voted for strike action this Thursday.

Is there anyone else here on Edugeek going up to Birmingham on Thursday for the rally and march?
    Unfortunately, I'm working that day.

Thank Post
    Only got year 10 and 12 in tomorrow, a great day to get miantance jobs done.

Thank Post
    So if you're in say Unison and you decide to withhold your labour on the day.

What do you do? Just not turn up, turn your phone off and turn up on Friday. No one says anything and your pay is 30-80 lighter at the end of the month?

Do you have to call in work in the morning and declare your witholdment of labour, or do they just assume if you're not in and you haven't legitimately called the sick/dying/dead line you're on strike?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,180 Times in 1,615 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trapper View Post
    So if you're in say Unison and you decide to withhold your labour on the day.

What do you do? Just not turn up, turn your phone off and turn up on Friday. No one says anything and your pay is 30-80 lighter at the end of the month?

Do you have to call in work in the morning and declare your witholdment of labour, or do they just assume if you're not in and you haven't legitimately called the sick/dying/dead line you're on strike?
    Just don't turn up. You are not obliged to call or notify. You only tell them on the day/in advance if you want to. If you are legitimately sick you will need a doctor's certificate before they pay you. Don't get ill on strike day! Family emergencies that aren't easily proven are best avoided too.
    Last edited by elsiegee40; 9th July 2014 at 08:11 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast