+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 74
General Chat Thread, All Out! Strike Action Thursday 10th July 2014 in General; Originally Posted by Galway The Trick Is, not declare your stance until the day of action, and force the school ...
  1. #16
    WithoutMotive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Wigan, UK
    Posts
    629
    Thank Post
    41
    Thanked 48 Times in 42 Posts
    Rep Power
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by Galway View Post
    The Trick Is, not declare your stance until the day of action, and force the school to make a choice. If they open as normal, they face difficulties not being able to cover for striking members.
    That's interesting.
    Strikes in our school rarely make a difference as we're asked to declare our intention to strike at least a week before so decisions can be made whether to open or not.





  2. #17

    elsiegee40's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    9,992
    Thank Post
    1,852
    Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,697 Posts
    Rep Power
    819
    Quote Originally Posted by WithoutMotive View Post
    That's interesting.
    Strikes in our school rarely make a difference as we're asked to declare our intention to strike at least a week before so decisions can be made whether to open or not.
    I work in a n independent, so current experience is from my governor school.

    Management can ask, but nobody is under any obligation to say whether or not they will strike. My governor school does ask, but makes staff sign in and out on strike days; no signatures = no pay. In reality, many people do say and the ones who never say, but always strike, are known.

    Non striking staff cannot be asked to cover for striking staff, they can choose to do so if they wish, but many won't. When teachers are out, this means that classes cannot be doubled up to cope with teachers who are striking. At my governor school, SLT do the cover. It's their choice.

  3. #18

    matt40k's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Ipswich
    Posts
    4,446
    Thank Post
    369
    Thanked 650 Times in 531 Posts
    Rep Power
    160
    Just remember, this does affect more then just your school. I know I was talking to another parent and we were saying how both our work's have said if your not in, you need a sick note from the doctor (which they will charge for), otherwise you lose a days pay. You can't use your holiday. Now I'm fairly lucky because the missus works evenings, but they, well lets say they don't have that luxury so they are now worrying about how they're going to pay the bills if the school doesn't open.

    Quote Originally Posted by Galway View Post
    The Trick Is, not declare your stance until the day of action, and force the school to make a choice. If they open as normal, they face difficulties not being able to cover for striking members.
    So statements like that leave us all in the unknown. Worrying. So thank you to any "scabs" out their covering those striking so the schools stay open and people (outside the public sector) working.

    PS: Didn't less then 10% of people vote for striking out of all the members??

  4. #19
    WithoutMotive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Wigan, UK
    Posts
    629
    Thank Post
    41
    Thanked 48 Times in 42 Posts
    Rep Power
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by matt40k View Post
    Just remember, this does affect more then just your school. I know I was talking to another parent and we were saying how both our work's have said if your not in, you need a sick note from the doctor (which they will charge for), otherwise you lose a days pay. You can't use your holiday. Now I'm fairly lucky because the missus works evenings, but they, well lets say they don't have that luxury so they are now worrying about how they're going to pay the bills if the school doesn't open.



    So statements like that leave us all in the unknown. Worrying. So thank you to any "scabs" out their covering those striking so the schools stay open and people (outside the public sector) working.

    PS: Didn't less then 10% of people vote for striking out of all the members??
    Not quite sure what you mean here. Do you mean if the school has to shut completely meaning those who don't strike have to be off, too? My school opens to staff regardless of how many work. If all but one member of staff strikes, that one member will be expected to be in school. "Closure" only means closed to pupils.

  5. #20
    CAM
    CAM is offline

    CAM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Burgh Heath, Surrey
    Posts
    4,291
    Thank Post
    869
    Thanked 395 Times in 305 Posts
    Blog Entries
    60
    Rep Power
    288
    You write a letter to your line manager stating you are available to work as normal and make every effort to turn up to work on the day. Back covered.

    Myself? I am in Voice so no strike here. I am the cover manager though...

  6. #21

    matt40k's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Ipswich
    Posts
    4,446
    Thank Post
    369
    Thanked 650 Times in 531 Posts
    Rep Power
    160
    Quote Originally Posted by WithoutMotive View Post
    Not quite sure what you mean here. Do you mean if the school has to shut completely meaning those who don't strike have to be off, too? My school opens to staff regardless of how many work. If all but one member of staff strikes, that one member will be expected to be in school. "Closure" only means closed to pupils.
    You've provide my point!! PARENTS, who have children, who work during school hours but not at a school, ie they work in retail etc whilst the child is at school, have been told if they don't turn up, because the school is closed for pupils and they have no childcare. Need pay for a doctors note, or they lose a days wages.

    This doesn't JUST affect workers in education, it effects everything who is connected to the education system!

  7. #22


    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    5,463
    Thank Post
    1,462
    Thanked 892 Times in 573 Posts
    Rep Power
    647
    Quote Originally Posted by matt40k View Post
    You've provide my point!! PARENTS, who have children, who work during school hours but not at a school, ie they work in retail etc whilst the child is at school, have been told if they don't turn up, because the school is closed for pupils and they have no childcare. Need pay for a doctors note, or they lose a days wages.

    This doesn't JUST affect workers in education, it effects everything who is connected to the education system!
    Isn't this the point of striking? Hurt as many people as possible. It's why airline workers strike on Bank Holidays.

  8. 4 Thanks to laserblazer:

    Garacesh (9th July 2014), notalot (10th July 2014), sparkeh (9th July 2014), WithoutMotive (9th July 2014)

  9. #23

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    1,098
    Thank Post
    6
    Thanked 217 Times in 197 Posts
    Rep Power
    56
    I'll be striking, not because I personally am particularly bothered by the only 1% payrise because I'm not in the position where this is a major issue to me. I can survive without the increase. However, when you see how much some people are paid and still they only get a 1% rise I think it is a little bit disgraceful that staff in schools can be near the minimum wage for the amount of work they put in.

    Any government with half a brain cell would offer a sliding scale of payrises, with the lower end getting maybe 2-2.5% and then only 1% for people who earn more, then maybe even nothing for the higher end. Essentially bunching up salaries I know but in reality it is irrelevant. I also believe if lowly paid staff are willing to lose a days wage when they really need the money because of how they feel they are treated then others should support them if they are in the same Union, afterall that is what a union is meant for.

    I also don't like the idea of what is happying in the NHS where the 1% payrise is only being given to those already at the top of the scale, not if you move up the scale, and doesn't count towards the employers pension contributions and only lasts for a limited time. Basically it is a pay off. The prospect fo this being widespread is a scary thought!

  10. 4 Thanks to Achandler:

    Earthling (9th July 2014), notalot (10th July 2014), sparkeh (9th July 2014), WithoutMotive (9th July 2014)

  11. #24

    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    195
    Thank Post
    54
    Thanked 36 Times in 28 Posts
    Rep Power
    22
    I personally don't think a days strike is going to make any difference! When I was a TA in another school, there were 2 strike days which I still went in for, nothing noticeably changed after those days either.

    Talking to my Dad about it, when he used to work for the GPO, fixing teleprinters (Pre-BT!), he went on strike for almost 2 months! Luckily for him the union paid him an average salary - and as he had done a ton of overtime in the few months before the strike he was being paid more than he would if he worked! I can't remember if they achieved the outcome they wanted however.

  12. #25

    witch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Dorset
    Posts
    11,209
    Thank Post
    1,454
    Thanked 2,515 Times in 1,752 Posts
    Rep Power
    755
    I am happy for people to strike but I do think that the union need a bit of a higher proportion of members agreeing to strike before it can happen. Not 50% as has been mooted in some government circles because after all we have a government that was voted in by a lot less than 50% of the population!

  13. #26

    Theblacksheep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    In a house.
    Posts
    1,946
    Thank Post
    139
    Thanked 291 Times in 211 Posts
    Rep Power
    193
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    I am happy for people to strike but I do think that the union need a bit of a higher proportion of members agreeing to strike before it can happen. Not 50% as has been mooted in some government circles because after all we have a government that was voted in by a lot less than 50% of the population!
    maybe match the % required to strike to % voted for the government.

  14. #27

    abillybob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Shropshire
    Posts
    2,967
    Thank Post
    397
    Thanked 390 Times in 276 Posts
    Rep Power
    234
    I understand why people decide to strike and it all comes down to the fact they're not at working so it effects many people therefore we better pay them more to make sure this doesn't happen again kind of thing. Though it doesn't seem to make any difference and all then that is happening is your hurting the parents and other people that rely on the school to be open so they can work normally.

    I probably would strike as that seems the thing to do and because I'm on such a low wage it angers me but when teaching staff and support staff are already on a pretty decent wage 20,000+ I don't see the point and forgive me but I think they're just being greedy!

  15. #28

    Ephelyon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Cheshire, England
    Posts
    1,741
    Thank Post
    311
    Thanked 355 Times in 216 Posts
    Rep Power
    147
    How a "decent wage" is defined depends on your age and stage of life sometimes. My pay is in the mid-twenties but I'm still going to struggle with getting (and keeping) this mortgage with just my own wage!

  16. Thanks to Ephelyon from:

    ButterflyMoon (9th July 2014)

  17. #29

    matt40k's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Ipswich
    Posts
    4,446
    Thank Post
    369
    Thanked 650 Times in 531 Posts
    Rep Power
    160
    Quote Originally Posted by laserblazer View Post
    Isn't this the point of striking? Hurt as many people as possible. It's why airline workers strike on Bank Holidays.
    Indeed, sucky lesson to be teaching our children however. Jump on the person below you to get yourself boosted up.

    Quote Originally Posted by Achandler View Post
    I think it is a little bit disgraceful that staff in schools can be near the minimum wage for the amount of work they put in.
    I think it's disgraceful the minimum wage and the living wage isn't the same! And I don't believe working in the public sector should be seen as a way of being better of financially.

  18. #30

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    1,098
    Thank Post
    6
    Thanked 217 Times in 197 Posts
    Rep Power
    56
    As I stated abillybob, I am striking not for me but for people who earn a lot less to show solidarity. I don't need the payrise but that doesn't mean others like you don't!

    The country is a selfish country, most people are only concerned about number 1. There might be a cleaner who is going to declare themselves bankrupt because they have no money, and most peoples answer is your lucky you have a job, hardly the idea of a decent society. Divide and conquer at its finest from the government.

    I don't think it will make any difference, and yes it will disrupt people but that doesn't mean people shouldn't stand up for themselves. If the strike actually achieved its goal and everyone got a 2% payrise this year instead of 1% then everyone in the public sector would gain, those who didn't strike would gain more as they woudl never have lost wages to start with, its a funny old world.


    Off topic but:
    If in general, more people cared more about the world around them and not just themselves then everywhere would be much nicer, we live in a I'm alright Jack society. As long as people can go to work and go home and be happy then they ignore others problems, I think its quite sad. A bigger government isn't the solution, a change in social responsibility is, how you achieve that, I have absolutely no idea!

  19. 4 Thanks to Achandler:

    ButterflyMoon (9th July 2014), Earthling (9th July 2014), SiliconAlley_Sam (9th July 2014), tech_guy (9th July 2014)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 25th February 2014, 01:26 PM
  2. Out of Action :(
    By synaesthesia in forum General Chat
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 23rd November 2010, 02:22 PM
  3. [Video] For all you junglists out there!
    By Little-Miss in forum Jokes/Interweb Things
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 26th March 2009, 11:22 AM
  4. Rolling out Exchange 2007 to all students
    By steele_uk in forum Windows
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 5th June 2008, 11:31 AM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •