+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Car Problem ? Maybe ? in General; Hi all, Ive noticed a problem that has seemed to crop up in the last few days.... Ive got a ...
    Thank Post

Car Problem ? Maybe ?

Hi all,

Ive noticed a problem that has seemed to crop up in the last few days.... Ive got a 1.6 Zetec SE.

Sometimes changing from 2nd to 3rd, if the revs are a tad low (30 mph say).. The car judders and changing down and accelerating works then change back to 3rd which is fine. I'm a new driver so is this my error or is something wrong with the car ?, does it sometimes if i'm in a 40, and I change from 3rd to 4th and the revs are a bit low or im creeping my speed up if I'm accelerating it 'Judders' until I change down, Changing down to 3rd or 2nd is fine I can accelerate again.

Sometimes slowing from 60, changing down to 4th.. if I have to accelerate again it judders slightly - changing down to third I can take off no problem.

ALSO, i've noticed any rapid acceleration or revving of the engine there's a slight 'Hiss' from the engine for a second or 2 as the revs climb... is this normal for a Zetec ?

Thanks in Advance.

Thank Post
    Noticed you posted this on the fordownersclub.com too - was going to point you there!

3. Thanks to visioN from:

cpjitservices (7th July 2014)

Thank Post
    I have this juddering on my polo and turned out i was missing a cylinder as one of my HT leads burnt out. So could be worth popping in the garage to have a quick once over. Mine was fixed in the day a swap of HT leads and new sparks and ready to go

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,455 Times in 1,716 Posts
    Don't know about the hiss but the juddering is usually because you are going too slowly for that gear, surely?

Thank Post
    Checked HT and Sparks... Im running 4 cylinders.. the car runs fine its just accelerating sometimes at low speed / revs.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 1,252 Posts
    You should be able to run in 4th gear comfortably when travelling at 30MPH.

By taking your foot off the accelerator the car will reduce speed slowly, then apply the breaks, then change gear last. You shouldn't really be in 4th when travelling at 60MPH. 5th gear should be used for anything over 35MPH.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    Don't know about the hiss but the juddering is usually because you are going too slowly for that gear, surely?
    Yep, I'm pretty sure it's my error BUT wanted to double check first.. other cars I've driven have been fine... aslong as your rolling or upto 20 mph, 3rd / 4th should be ok to go to creep up speed at least.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    You should be able to run in 4th gear comfortably when travelling at 30MPH.

By taking your foot off the accelerator the car will reduce speed slowly, then apply the breaks, then change gear last. You shouldn't really be in 4th when travelling at 60MPH. 5th gear should be used for anything over 35MPH.
    Indeed, however slowing from 60, if Im coming up to a bend and slow down, ill drop into 4th or the relevant gear...then sometimes I'f I'm accelerating it will Judder.

I think the air noise I'm getting is air intake when accelerating..
    Last edited by cpjitservices; 7th July 2014 at 11:35 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cpjitservices View Post
    Indeed, however slowing from 60, if Im coming up to a bend and slow down, ill drop into 4th or the relevant gear...then sometimes I'f I'm accelerating it will Judder.
    As you say (depending on the road), when slowing from 60MPH (you should be in 5th), you can then continue slowing down and place it into 4th or possibly 3rd depending what speed you're travelling.

As I say as a general rule, anything over 35MPH and you should be in 5th. This makes for a smoother ride and you'll use less fuel too. 1st, 2nd and 3rd use a lot more to get the car moving.

We've all been there and it's just practice, practice and more practice!

11. Thanks to Michael from:

Thank Post
    Thanks all, usually if I'm in a 40 I'll be in 5th all the way but If I have to slow for some reason and drop below 35 I'll drop back into 4th... or 3rd. If I do 4th I get the juddering.... it may just be that the ratios in the gearbox are low... so I need to be in 3rd to be able to get back up then change to 5th.

I often skip gears to conserve fuel were appropriate. Something I've had to self learn.

Thank Post
    Exactly - skipping gears is definitely OK and something you just learn the more you drive that particular car.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cpjitservices View Post
    Thanks all, usually if I'm in a 40 I'll be in 5th all the way but If I have to slow for some reason and drop below 35 I'll drop back into 4th... or 3rd. If I do 4th I get the juddering.... it may just be that the ratios in the gearbox are low... so I need to be in 3rd to be able to get back up then change to 5th.

I often skip gears to conserve fuel were appropriate. Something I've had to self learn.
    As mentioned, it could be a misfire but i doubt it.

It's more likely that you're revs are simply too low. Right at the lower end of the rev range, your motor will have very little power/torque as all that comes further up the rev range and being in a high gear will be 'harder' for the engine. By trying to accelerate from say 800rpm in 5th gear, your engine is working really really hard and by doing so will be dumping in excess fuel.

Think about riding a bike; imagine you get on your bike, put it in it's highest gear and try to start off - it's difficult right? Now do exactly the same but in the 'correct' gear i.e. a lower gear, it will be much easier and you will use less energy too. The principle is exactly the same.

It's important to note that by doing this (i.e. being in a high gear at low speed to the point that your causing the car to judder etc) will actually increase your fuel consumption substantially.

Hope that helps!

15. Thanks to MrMat from:

Thank Post
    Yep got that... thanks for the advice all.

Thank Post
    It's easier on the engine and more economical if you don't skip gears, try to keep your revs between 1,500 and 2,500 changing up as you get near 2,500 and change down when you get near 1,500 rpm.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    A hiss from the engine? Have you got a leak on your inlet or exhaust manifold (or their seals)? This can confuse the sensors which could make your engine run poorly.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast