+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Any DJ's here amongst us ? in General; I've started collecting DJ gear... Again... Have done a few gigs too looks like I'm getting back into it again. ...
    Thank Post

Any DJ's here amongst us ?

I've started collecting DJ gear... Again... Have done a few gigs too looks like I'm getting back into it again. Have taken up a large space in my loft room to house the kit - PITA getting up the stairs after gigs thats for sure but never mind

I don't do it for the money but for the fun of it really...

Anyone else do it ?

Thank Post
    I don't but my husband has a karaoke rig. Thankfully he also has a weekly gig, so can store the kit at the venue. We have a brick built outhouse he stores all the spares in (apparently it's impossible to run properly without having a spare amp, lights, speakers and mixing desk)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by clareq View Post
    I don't but my husband has a karaoke rig. Thankfully he also has a weekly gig, so can store the kit at the venue. We have a brick built outhouse he stores all the spares in (apparently it's impossible to run properly without having a spare amp, lights, speakers and mixing desk)
    Yeah good idea, to keep spares. I dont have any at present as I've just started collecting Kit again, have acquired Mixer/Amp and Speakers.... playing through my laptop at the moment. Looking for a decent set of decks though. I did a gig the other night and seem to of lost my Microphone.

Thank Post
    I've toyed with the idea before but never took the plunge. I always wondered what the deal is with licensing in regards to the music and public performance.

Thank Post
    Depends on the venue, usually they are licensed which covers any acts and DJ's... although I recommend the have PLI.

Thank Post
    And you should be playing original bought music ... no copies. And if you have digital copies (laptop DJ) then you must be able to prove that you bought the music... although in all my years of being a DJ - I've never once been asked.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cpjitservices View Post
    Yeah good idea, to keep spares. I dont have any at present as I've just started collecting Kit again, have acquired Mixer/Amp and Speakers.... playing through my laptop at the moment. Looking for a decent set of decks though. I did a gig the other night and seem to of lost my Microphone.
    Funny you say about the laptop, we had a DJ at our staff party on Tuesday playing away on his laptop, we all commented on what he does to earn his money, just click play and wait for the track to end?

Thank Post
    Have a look at ampdj.co.uk for PL insurance - £49 per year, and £10million pounds of cover.

Thank Post
    Personally I dont use or like Laptop DJ's, it does it all for you - even to searching for tracks.... My last gig I took Vinyl. I'm on the lookout for twin CD Decks. I also back bands too if they need it.

Dont get me wrong when I did this the first time round I had all my Disks, cataloged on my laptop and would use my laptop for Jingles... but apart from that it was CD. Just looked on laptop for whatever track I was after and found the disk I needed shoved it in the deck and did what I needed to do.

Besides which... I find a massive Sound difference especially between CD v Laptop. CD Wins everytime.

Thank Post
    Cant believe I lost my MIC.... Think I left it behind... and the club doesn't have it . Never mind.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Danp View Post
    Funny you say about the laptop, we had a DJ at our staff party on Tuesday playing away on his laptop, we all commented on what he does to earn his money, just click play and wait for the track to end?
    I guess it had to progress, just like everything else... Whilst there is a knack to it, especially using the likes of Ableton, Serato and I probably should include Traktor, the modern digital method has ripped most of the fun out of it.

Thank Post
    Certainly has... Whilst I used vinyl for my last gig, I did play the odd track from Laptop... Needs must until I get a set of CD Decks. The Sounds was dreadful compared to CD & Vinyl anyway.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cpjitservices View Post
    And you should be playing original bought music ... no copies. And if you have digital copies (laptop DJ) then you must be able to prove that you bought the music... although in all my years of being a DJ - I've never once been asked.
    Read the first half of this and was going to post the second half. I've played at a couple of (very very small) student club nights and nobody ever asked me to prove that the MP3s I was playing were legitimately purchased.

@cpjitservices Do you mean like a wedding/function DJ or something else?

I make truly horrible noises using Ableton Live and some korg nano midi controllers, but I'll probably never get anywhere near big enough that somebody would pay me to do it. I'm not that bothered though because I'm not really interested in doing wedding/function DJing, which is what you need to do if you want to make money doing this sort of thing. Also then I'd have to stop playing basically my entire collection, since I don't think most people want to hear Jungle/Breakcore at their weddings. Plus I can imagine it stops being fun really really quickly once money starts getting involved (like most things).

Thank Post
    Feel like I should weigh in and say that I spend literally hours in Ableton preparing my sets before any gig that I play using my laptop. I don't think you could achieve the same sounds as I do with vinyl without having an obscene number of decks to mix between. A lot of it depends on the style of music you're playing - house or techno music for example is insanely easy to mix with a laptop and so doesn't take anywhere near the same amount of preparation.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sdrawkcab View Post
    Read the first half of this and was going to post the second half. I've played at a couple of (very very small) student club nights and nobody ever asked me to prove that the MP3s I was playing were legitimately purchased.

@cpjitservices Do you mean like a wedding/function DJ or something else?

I make truly horrible noises using Ableton Live and some korg nano midi controllers, but I'll probably never get anywhere near big enough that somebody would pay me to do it. I'm not that bothered though because I'm not really interested in doing wedding/function DJing, which is what you need to do if you want to make money doing this sort of thing. Also then I'd have to stop playing basically my entire collection, since I don't think most people want to hear Jungle/Breakcore at their weddings. Plus I can imagine it stops being fun really really quickly once money starts getting involved (like most things).
    Well I'm not into it for the money, I dont do weddings etc either... Just fun giggs. I do play a local club in town for a certain genre of music of which there is also a fanclub for. I dont do it for money... sometimes my fuel gets covered which is nice and so far I've inherited kit. But... By regulation your supposed to have insurance, Licenses, and music has to be what youve bought although it hardly ever is lol. I usually go on the back of the insurance/license of what the Venue has and it's usually sufficient although places do ask you are PAT tested. Which all my kit is.

- - - Updated - - -

For Laptop I've used VirtualDJ Free and BPM studio... oh and Mixx. Never used anything else.... never seen a need to.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast